Subscription & Email Notification Issues

This thread is for issues with subscriptions/watched threads and email notifications.

I'll kick it off with my issue.

Its early add I have been reduced to a small tablet...I can't seem to find settings...want to check if email notifications needs to be rechecked, cause I'm not getting any...Gracias...h00k...

I'm not a mobile user, but I miss having the new posts from journals I am subbed to come into my inbox on my PC (i.e. emailed to me).
Hi AK - under the Alerts pull down is a link to a preferences section. Somewhere in there you can select which things will trigger an email. I’m fairly sure... ;)

I'm not a mobile user, but I miss having the new posts from journals I am subbed to come into my inbox on my PC (i.e. emailed to me).

I figured this out.

Go to 420 Forums>Watched Threads, then check the EMAIL box on the right for each thread/journal you want to new posts to be emailed. The list gives the name of the forum the followed item comes from, so you can choose just forums in progress, for example, and not get subbed to every Q &A you responded to.

You have to do this by page, by scrolling down to the Selected box and choosing your option, then GO. Then you can move to the next page and repeat.

Hi AK - under the Alerts pull down is a link to a preferences section. Somewhere in there you can select which things will trigger an email. I’m fairly sure... ;)

Actually, Amy, I did all this and still did not get the emails. I had to go to 420 Forums>Watched Threads, and check the email box to the right of each thread I wanted emailed to me.

One thought is just occuring to me, with the app I used to get nice little pop up notifications on the top of my phone to let me know if someone had sent me a message, quoted something I said etc...I assume this is not possible currently?

As far as I know, you can still adjust your preferences to receive an email notification when someone sends you a private message conversation. If your phone is like mine, you probably see notifications of new email. OtOH, you might have become conditioned to ignore those if you get >200 emails per day. But I suppose you could set up a new email account to be used solely for this forum, and set things up so that you get notifications for that email account. I did that for my local library's ebook lending program, so that I know within seconds when an ebook I've requested has been returned and gets "checked out" to my account, so I can use my library's ebook app to immediately download that ebook. Err... I guess I need to get out more, lol. I used to expend that kind of effort chasing women. These days I mostly just keep track of the ones who'll not run away in the first place ;) .

1) I thought I had the email thingy figured out (select 420 Forums>watched threads> check email for each thread you want email notification for>select option in Selected>select GO. (for each page of watched threads)

But apparently it didn't take. I am getting NO emails from 420 at all. :-( Do we have to go to the site itself to be alerted about new posts?

2) I also cannot easily find my Gallery from my account, and when I do accidentally come across my OWN, I see only placeholders (no pics), and no tools to upload more pics.

3) GALLERY EMBED takes me to my gallery, but I cannot see the pics, so this tool is worthless if I cant SEE the pics to choose what I want to upload.

This site is going to have to become a lot more usable than just posting text, or I will have to go elsewhere to socialize with other growers. I'm spending way too much time trying to find the tools I had before the change. :-(

Frustration level is very high for this old lady! :confused:

Are your emails going to your junk or spam folders? I started getting emails again without having to mess with anything, but they went to my junk folder. After I selected them all and clicked not junk I have been getting them in my normal inbox

BUG report:

Here’s an interesting little glitch with the jump to new function.

If a thread has new posts since my last visit, clicking the link to it from My watched threads list (or any list) will take me to the first unread post. All good. However, When I click to visit a thread that has no new posts since my last visit, I get landed on the first page of that thread, and with no ‘Jump to new’ button.

:Namaste:

BUG report:

Here’s an interesting little glitch with the jump to new function.

If a thread has new posts since my last visit, clicking the link to it from My watched threads list (or any list) will take me to the first unread post. All good. However, When I click to visit a thread that has no new posts since my last visit, I get landed on the first page of that thread, and with no ‘Jump to new’ button.

I would assume this is because there are no new posts on the selected thread. Like on the old platform, if you landed on the first first page of a thread, there was a view first unread post tab at the top. If the thread had no unread posts, that tab wasn't there. Can't jump to new if there is no new. :passitleft:

I would assume this is because there are no new posts on the selected thread. Like on the old platform, if you landed on the first first page of a thread, there was a view first unread post tab at the top. If the thread had no unread posts, that tab wasn't there. Can't jump to new if there is no new. :passitleft:

Mmmm - yes, that does sound logical. But if I’ve read all the posts, then surely the system should ‘know’ that too, and take me to the most recent page - not the first (oldest). On the old system if I clicked the link of a subscribed thread with no new posts, I’d land on the current page of the thread.

:passitleft:

:( Now I'm not getting the emails, either. *sigh* Still no gallery link. I KNEW clearing out my browsing history, cookies, etc would mess things up. I even rebooted and started a new tab, with a clean URL to 420 magazine. :-(

I guess I have to start all over watching and subbing with emails.....

Post # 205 went right over my head. I'm no programmer, just a drowning user. Tagnote? choosing which BB Code to use? I'm way too old to pick this up.

The only image tool that has worked for me so far is embed gallery (camera icon) in the reply window. (after adding media, that is)

I still have an issue getting emails. I get only a selected few from this thread and none from journals of those I am following. I tried checking all the email boxes in my watching list, but that did not work. I miss my fellow growers!

With the new format im not even getting visitors to my journals..
Is there a place that you follow the threads your subscribed to.
If so i cand find it..
And the settings button does not work at all..
Hi OldSchool,
That’s the next tutorial o the list! Currently being worked on

ANd yes, the non-functional settings button i left off my list.

Are there settings you;re wanting to change but can’t access?

Amy, that's perfect! Thank you :goodjob:

OldSchool, I was wondering why we didn't get more activity here, after I spammed the big journals.

It appears there may have been a problem with importing the subscriptions, so it's been reported to the developer.

Yes, and it wasn’t consistent. All mine came through. But not my watched Forums.

And if your not getting email notifications from subscribed journals, try "unwatch" then "watch" it again.

Although the watched journals page has a box for email, it has proven not reliable with all of them.

The work around I described above has worked flawless for me thus far.
Hi overlord, so the workaround - do you do that on the actual thread? Or in the list?

With the new format im not even getting visitors to my journals..
Is there a place that you follow the threads your subscribed to.
If so i cand find it..
And the settings button does not work at all..
ANd I didn’t answer the first question - Pennywise did, but in case you didn’t see it.

On PC/desktop >Forums>watched threads.
On mobile device >Menu “hamburger”>Forums>Watched Threads

Amy, did you try overlord's "unwatch" - "watch" trick to get email notifications going for thread subscriptions prior to the import? If so, did it work? Has anyone else tried? I'm working with the developer to see if we can run a script to do this for everyone at once.

Back
Top Bottom