Suggestions, looking at getting some more light

Been scouring the internet, compiling spread sheets, trying to decide between boards or bars, this is so darn confusing, trying to separate the science from the hype. Some brands only say they use "Top Bin" LED's, but there's no real definition of what that means. Others say they use a "brand driver", what does that mean? Trying to stay with Samsung LM301B or LM301H chips, although the LM 281B chips are almost as good, and a Meanwell driver. One huge plus would be a driver that can be mounted outside the tent to keep temps down. I cannot seem find a board type with removable driver. Need about 450 to 500 watts to add to my existing lights for full coverage in a 6.5x6.5 tent. Then there's Umols, looking for better than 2.5, and a decent looking PPFD. Other anomalies, veg/flower footprint, some lower wattage lights claim larger footprint than higher wattage lights. I have a headache!!!!! I've upped my spending limit to around $600 (with great protestation from my wife). Leaving for a trip in a couple days, so I can't order until I get back.

I can't list the potential candidates, because some are non-sponsors.

Certainly open to more suggestions

To be continued:

Go watch some actuall test videos done with proper sensors.
YouTube search:
Migro,
Dr mj coco
Took a look at it, helpful, but several of the lights I'm looking at were not tested. I also checked out Migro lights, nice lights, out of my price range, as are several others.

Right now I'm pretty sure the bar style in the 420-500 watt range will have the features I'm looking for. Looking hard at SF-4000, Mars 450W, and Hypophotonflux 480W, and the Viparspectra KS5000. Coming down to LED brand (Samsung LM301B or H, driver brand (Meanwell) , PPFD/Umol, detachable driver (big plus), deep red/UV, warranty, and price.

Been scouring the internet, compiling spread sheets, trying to decide between boards or bars, this is so darn confusing, trying to separate the science from the hype. Some brands only say they use "Top Bin" LED's, but there's no real definition of what that means. Others say they use a "brand driver", what does that mean? Trying to stay with Samsung LM301B or LM301H chips, although the LM 281B chips are almost as good, and a Meanwell driver. One huge plus would be a driver that can be mounted outside the tent to keep temps down. I cannot seem find a board type with removable driver. Need about 450 to 500 watts to add to my existing lights for full coverage in a 6.5x6.5 tent. Then there's Umols, looking for better than 2.5, and a decent looking PPFD. Other anomalies, veg/flower footprint, some lower wattage lights claim larger footprint than higher wattage lights. I have a headache!!!!! I've upped my spending limit to around $600 (with great protestation from my wife). Leaving for a trip in a couple days, so I can't order until I get back.

I can't list the potential candidates, because some are non-sponsors.

Certainly open to more suggestions

To be continued:

go to led gardener dot com and learn. it's a site all about growing under led light. it's not a cannabis site. it's a diy site that teaches all about led and how to build your own custom spec rig.

even if don't build your own rig, everything there is the same as any commercial light. you'll learn piles, be able to tell if a light is decent and why, and never look at a rig again the same.

led lights are dirt simple. the mfgrs don't want you to know that. it's costs roughly a third to build a rig as it does to buy.

if you're growing under mars or bestva now it won't be hard to blow it away with a diy.

I've upped my spending limit to around $600

Wow, that kind of budget puts you into (manufacturer warrantied refurbished) "aitch elle gee 600 Rspec" territory, lol, and leaves a penny for wishing on.

Go watch some actuall test videos done with proper sensors.
YouTube search:
Migro,

I was going to suggest Shane's (Migro's) videos, too. He's probably tested more than 100 by now, ranging from "HtH do they even manage to sell this trash to newbies on Amazon" all the way up to Scorpion Diablo - and appears to have given an honest report on each and every one of them.

<SHRUGS> How long does it take to learn whether a product is defective or not, lol?
How did it get in the "refurbished" category, was it defective or just a return? Not just defective, but with refurbished you don't know how long it was run before being refurbished, so, do the LED's have 5000 hours or 45,000 hours on them? Same with the driver. That's my fear with refurbished, now if they gave the full warranty, that would be different.

How did it get in the "refurbished" category, was it defective or just a return? Not just defective, but with refurbished you don't know how long it was run before being refurbished, so, do the LED's have 5000 hours or 45,000 hours on them? Same with the driver. That's my fear with refurbished, now if they gave the full warranty, that would be different.

emitters last forever if driven the correct way - under driven. i have cob rigs well over 5 yrs i built and sold still running close to the same efficiency today.

i repaired the very first rig i sold to a client this year. it was 8 yrs old. driver had died finally, swapped in a driver and the rig fired up as efficient as day 1. client essentially got a brand new rig for the cost of a $120 driver.

i repaired the very first rig i sold to a client this year. it was 8 yrs old. driver had died finally, swapped in a driver and the rig fired up as efficient as day 1. client essentially got a brand new rig for the cost of a $120 driver.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I'd rather have one of those refurbished lights, with it's one year warranty, than any five random brand new Chinese ones with three, five, or ten year warranties. Because the average Chinese product is built with quite a high "acceptable failure rate" - and has the cost of a replacement or two factored into its price. Also because, regardless of the length of a product's warranty... it expires when the company does. And, finally, because it's probably better to buy a product from the company that designed the thing instead of buying a copy that was built to a standard of (original product minus n%, minus the further cost of an in-warranty replacement." I used to be involved in a different hobby, and owned / tested / learned about / taught lots of (relatively) expensive electronic products during the pursuit of that hobby. We got pestered by more entities located in the Shenzhen twin of China than an unfiltered email address gets pestered by spam. Sometimes, when I got bored, I entered into discussions with them which were... enlightening. They're happy to manufacture copies, clones, and counterfeits of whatever bit of gear you could imagine. Just give them a price, acceptable failure rate, etc. and they'll have you 10,000 units on a ship next month, lol. They're even happy to discuss which components you'd prefer they "cheaped out" on. (In regards to LED panels, even assuming that they have name-brand (e.g. Samsung) diodes... when Samsung tests a random sample and determines that a batch isn't up to spec, do you suppose they throw the things away? Nope - they get sold as seconds at a steep discount, and eventually ends up in panels that advertise "top bin." Well, the "bin" part is accurate, heh. The experience hasn't left me with a great deal of confidence in cheap Chinese crap. What little confidence remained has been further eroded by the owners of certain Internet forums having so little confidence in their advertisers products that they feel the need to torpedo most serious discussion of competitors' products. Which has had the side affect of leaving a rotten fucking taste in my mouth and, oft times, made visiting feel more like an onerous chore than a pleasure. Which is probably why I occasionally get just a wee bit bitchy and/or ends up taking a few days away from the internet - that turns into a month (or ten) "vacation."

On the other hand, I do occasionally end up accepting a cheap made-in-the-PRC lighting product, if it's free. But I start with the assumption that it'll be worth nearly as much as I paid for it ;). Most recently, I got an AC Infinity LED panel. I hadn't even known the company was selling the things. It's okay, I guess. For a random Chinese-made product. Close your eyes and pick one. Spin the wheel, boys, spin the wheel. Round and round she goes, where she stops— doesn't even matter.

Sorry, rambling. AC Infinity branded Chinese grow lights, whodathunkit? Well, me, after seeing the company's new line of not exactly top shelf exhaust fans that are virtually clones of the ones that Mars Hydro sells. Or vice versa? Seriously - I bet the parts even interchange. Probably made in the same factory. . . .

Sorry, rambling. AC Infinity branded Chinese grow lights, whodathunkit? Well, me, after seeing the company's new line of not exactly top shelf exhaust fans that are virtually clones of the ones that Mars Hydro sells. Or vice versa? Seriously - I bet the parts even interchange. Probably made in the same factory. . . .

usually multiple brands are made on the same factory floor.

Just like food products, I suppose. Where can I buy a light called "Grow Light" that comes in a can box with a plain white label, lol?

I have been wondering if Mars Hydro actually manufactures AC Infinity's "Lite" line of exhaust fans. I keep forgetting to ask. Speaking of which...

Well, I think you all convinced me to go with the refurbished 550 v2 rspec, would of rather had the 600, but currently it's only available in the 240V, and I don't have the space in my breaker box to add a 240v circuit. Original budget was $500, now it's gonna be about $650, as long as it flies with the better half, I'm ordering. Thanks all for their input!

The new baby arrived yesterday and it's all set-up, WOW it's bright, and I've only got it set at 50%. Along with the existing lights, I've got about 1100 true watts in about 25 sq ft. I am going to have to get another exhaust fan, temps are creeping up towards 90 degrees in the tent. See the progress in my Journal, "Phyto's Phun" (they'll be new pics after I figure out to set up my new phone to send a photo and e-mail!).

So what brands/models do you have? 25 square feet... 5'x5', or a less square rectangle? You probably mentioned it, but... anything newer than 1989, lol, I have trouble getting it to stick. But I can tell you all about the trip in the family wagon in 1974 ;).

The new baby is an HLG 550 rspec (500 watts), plus I have two older Bestva's with veg/bloom that draw 285 watts each. I have a 6.5 X 6.5 X 7 tent, but I need room to move around/water etc., so I only use about 5x5. Got the new light centered as well as I can (darn center post!), with the two older lights on on each side, the new light is a rectangle, but it's close to square (26" X 20").

Back
Top Bottom