Super Sativa Seed Club, SSSC, Catalogues From The 1980's : Rare Archival Images

up, so I can find it again.:cheer:

DD

Wow! Just woke up and for some reason did a search of Super Sativa Seed Club, first I went to a page that had that Great logo of the guy leading an elephant by the trunk with only an email contact link for content.

then I found this and whoa I was whooshed back in time.

my friend and I got one of these catalogs (must have filled out an ad in High Times) and bought like four varieties for like $200 dollars which was a crazy investment for two college kids with no real assurance that anything would arrive back from the Netherlands.

We waited and waited and finally a weird little international package arrived and lo and behold our order had been filled.

We ordered Skunk 1, Hawaiian and two other varieties I can no longer remember. We had one of the early Hydroponics stores located in our town (E. Lansing - Superior Growers Supply) where we bought one 400w Halogen and one 400w Sodium. We grew those seeds in pots and dirt and had a great time. I fell in love with growing and would continue to grow from that Hawaiian seed strain for the rest of my college career.

Interestingly, the Hawaiian (a fantastic sativa with a high that was described in SSSC catalog as "good high, and up." - which always made us laugh) got stressed in our first growing and began to produce male flowers on the female plant which resulted in a small amount of seeds.

This would go on to be a characteristic of the following seeds - always female, but always producing male flowers. Hermaphrodites. It was great from my perspective as you could be certain of getting as many females as seeds you planted, you just had to be vigilant about picking off the few male flowers that arose. Inevitably some would slip by you and you would end up with some pollination but I thought it was great, I carried around those seeds for a decade after our original purchase and was able to grow small gardens of Hawaiian over that whole time.

Thank you for posting this and letting me share my SSSC story.

///

Love this old catalog!

Had some Williams Wonder long ago, what a plant!

DD

This is way before my time. But that was really interesting to read. Amazing seeing them crops in a magazine.

Thank you for sharing this :thanks: :peace:

Amazing. Now I know why (in the early 90's) my buddy went nuts over -finally- being given cuts of a strain called "Victor Barns" (didn't know that was an incorrect spelling until now). He must have been raving (and begging) for that strain 4 at least 1 or 2 years before actually getting the cuts... and a few months later his source became yet another victim of the war on drugs.
I lived the paranoia and experienced first hand the terror caused by that infectious (and extremely aggressive) "Just Say No" campaign. Unless you were there, it's pretty much impossible to explain. Same thing goes for the taste & smell of Vic B's, ironically.

I know I"m a little late here but Wow, Thanks for the blast from thepast!

:rollit:

you better do them asap bro not the type of plant to be missed out on look at my new grow will be putting picks of my four femals

Okay... I'll make them next. I'm currently at my limit with LP#1 and Wille -2005 vintage-
Reef's last really consistent year based upon most reading I've done. There's also a bit of my own "work".... stored & untouched for several years. Getting off topic now.

thanx for the advice - I'll soon start mr. nice!! :)

This thread helps show that pot was just as strong back in the late 70's and early 80's

Thank you!! I get so tired of seeing the propaganda that mj has become much more powerful. I always argue that I, personally, feel the smoke from back in the day was some of the best out there, even better than today. Some of the true landraces packed a super punch!! :thumb:

Many young growers these days have no idea of the history of commercial seedbanks. Back in the 1980's, an Australian of Dutch parentage, went back to Holland from Australia to recover from h****n addiction. Part of his recovery was an idea he had to source and sell premium Cannabis genetics from all over the World. This idea came to fruition with a Government Grant for his rehabilitation from the Dutch Government to do so. This was the genesis of most modern seedbanks we see today. Neville is no longer on the scene, and SSSC was taken over by Ben Dronkers, and Sensi Seeds was formed, using Neville's genetics.

The infamous Neville
7507SB-Nevil-copy.jpg

For history buffs, I have compiled a collection of images from SSSC and a few other early seedbanks, to give you an idea of how things were in the good old days.

SSSC_89Cover.jpg

SSSC_89CoolBuds.jpg

7507SSSC8889P-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P10-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P6-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P7-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P7-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P9-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P1-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P2-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P3-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P4-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P5-copy.jpg

7507SSSC8889P8-copy.jpg

Wow My man I have not seen these books or catalogs since 1988 when I last ordered from The Seed Bank of Holland. These genetics and the movement they helped feed evolved into the Marijuana we see today.
:thanks::thanks::thanks: I had saved many of these book but lost all in my recent divorce as well as all seed stock of every plant I ever harvested. I am still looking for the strains I used to grow like Northern Lights #5, Original Skunk, ATF, Thai Stick, and a true White Widow. By far the NL#5 and ATF are the best Marijuana I have ever grown or smoked. These books were available by ordering them from a small classified advertisement in the only Cannabis mag back then costing $5 and all seeds orders were $10-$25
BTW I have read that Mr Nice still works with Neville's genetics and stays in touch with him for select breeding offers

+Rep :goodjob:

Mate, the first seeds I ordered from Neville, prior to '88 was the original Skunk 1, Beatrix Choice, and Skunk1 X Basic 5 (now known as NL5). I had 3 400W MH lamps that were put together from scratch by a mate of mine, even down to building the ballast. Back then, you could not easily get HID lamps, and they were very expensive. I had a grow space of 3m X 2m, and was, unfortunately, the first person ever in Canberra to get busted using artificial lighting to grow dope. I got done with 6 1/2 kilos (including what I had drying). I got a 2 year suspended jail sentence, 3 years good behaviour bond (probation), a $5000 fine, and I had $5000 seized as proceeds of crime. It cost me my home and my marriage. Mate, I did my time in the trenches in this damn war on drugs. My kids suffered terribly as a result. Bear in mind too I was playing international sport at the time, and was the Australian Captain for my sport (don't ask!), with an overseas trip coming up to the World Championships. It nearly ruined my sporting career.
Yes mate, it was tough here back then.
Wow man, that sucks. It is nice to see the laws getting a little easier over time though...My question is, can you hold a MMJ card now? I'm just wondering cause on my state application it specifically asked if I was ever accused or convicted of anything that had to do with purchase, sales, use, or manufacturing of any illegal substance or marijuana ever...i was just wondering if that can make it to where you cannot carry a card because they see prior involvement in marijuana....Blah Blah, I'm sorry man, just rambling....If you can answer that for me great, if not don't sweat it...Good luck to you and take care:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Please rate this thread.

This was an excellent post and quite interesting...So there was really great smoke in the early 80's too huh! I have heard it was nothing like now but it was still OK...I love to read old clips and magazines from back in the day...It reminds me of some magazines I got from my dad last year called Ex-CBI Roundup...It isn't about Marijuana, it is about the past World War and the men stationed in China, Burma, and India during that time of war. I have every one ever issued and reading those from the 70's and 80's still is great and educational and gives you a little incite to that day in age...It isn't an incite to the 70's and 80's but rather old time service men talking about and remembering their time in the service..... Lots of pictures too....You know pictures are always great to see when you are reading about any subject and the pictures of those plants and different strains really look great...I would really like to run across some of the first years of High Times magazines and get a hold of them....Anyways, I have rambled long enough I guess so that is it...I did appreciate the post though, it was great and fun to look at!!!!:goodjob::slide::slide::slide:

Back
Top Bottom