Zupreme, Star Killer, Rare Dankness 2020 Grow

2Crispy

Greetings all,

If you are like me, having a project to pass the time during this pandemic seems like a good idea. I thought it would be a good opportunity to try out a new strain and document my findings. I have been a big fan of Rare Dankness, I even got the hoodie, so that was a logical choice. However, somehow (the power of the force?) I was drawn to a strain I never heard of before, Zupreme, from The Plug Seedbank.

Years ago, 2014, a friend and I walked into a dispensary. When we were checking out the products we noticed a strain for $20 a gram. Curious about what a $20 a gram strain was like, I had to get one. It was good, worth $20? I don’t know. I have always had an inquisitiveness about over valued goods. Fast forward to 2020.

While killing time looking at Instagram photos I came a across one from the seed bank I use. They were featuring a promo for Zupreme. I didn’t pay much attention, but I noticed in the comments

Zupreme is in Limited quantities so don’t waste your time and get yourself a pack now @theplugseedbank @__zkittlez__

Another person write

Yeah not for £120 I’m fine

Now I start thinking, “Limited quantities?” “£120? What’s this strain all about? So the sucker I am decided to get at this. £120 is equal to $148.26 for 6 beans that comes out to $24.71 each. In the end will it be worth it? I don’t really care. Without sports to gamble on I have to find another outlet to waste my money on.

Coincidentally this seed bank. (I didn’t name them because I am unaware if they are a sponsor) had a promo for Rare Dankness, so I got a few freebie Blue OX seeds to boot.

Here is what I plan to document though for the purpose of education and research. Stay tuned for results.

Zupreme, The Plug Seedbank
Hybrid, unknown percentages
Genetics: Zkittlez x Zmoothies Z3
$148.26/6 seeds

Vs.

Star Killer, Rare Dankness
70% Indica / 30% Sativa
Genetics: Skywalker OG Kush x RD#2
$29.01/4 seeds

Ordered: March 17, 2020
Received: April 1, 2020
April 4, 2020 germinated seeds using paper towel method on heated mat
April 6, 2020 transferred to jiffy pellet, still on heating mat
April 8, 2020 transferred to quart sized pots using pro-mix HP
Temp of Room
RH of Room
Light size 600w LED is the current light on the seedlings
Depending on availability will flower with either LEDs or HPS, more to follow
Fertilizer will come later after it is well established TBD
Indoor grow, will transfer to a 4’ X 4’ grow tent sometime in mid-May

Zup kit.jpg

zup bottle.jpg

Kinda like a message in a bottle the packaging is quite unique. If this turns out to be legit, I may even put the sticker on my car, who knows.

seeds in bottle.jpg
The beans look very white, a bit pale. I am not sure if they are underdeveloped but I wont know unless I get this grow started.
zup seeds 1.jpgzup seeds 2.jpg

I planned to germinate using the moist paper towel method. Just in case there were complications I thought I would just plant two of each. I also added a Blue Ox bean to the dankness towel to go along for the ride. zup paper 1.jpgdankness paper 1.jpg
BTW I forgot to mention the Star Killer are regular seeds while Zupreme is feminized.

I checked about 36 hours later and here are my results.

zup paper 2.jpgdankness paper 2.jpg

The paper turned blue from the sharpie bleeding through. Note to self, find another way to label next time. One of the Zupremes has not germinated so I put it back on the heating mat to incubate longer.

Now that the seeds have germinated I planned to put into a jiffy pellet. In the past I have put seeds directly into the pellet, but sometimes the results were mixed. At over $25 a seed I wanted to be certain I was doing everything I could to ensure my success rate would be optimal.

zup sprout 1.jpg

Zupreme Sprout 1 day old

zup pot 1.jpg

Zupreme Sprout 2 days Old

star killer pot 1.jpg

Star Killer 2 days after germination

Normally I would give this more time in the jiffy pellet but I had other things to add to pots so I included these.

potted 4.8.20.jpg

Zupreme in a quart sized pot using pro-mix HP

Star killer pot 2.jpg

Star killer in the pot, This one hasnt fully opened yet, but the second one has. Not sure why I didnt get a picture of the second one. They are very delicate at this point so I don't want to disturb too much,

Attachments

• 20200408_130831.jpg
    20200408_130831.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 197
Back to the original germinating seeds. I took a look at the other Zupreme that never popped open. It has now been 4 days.

un germ zup 2.jpg

un germ zup.jpg

I don't expect this one to germinate. I put it back onto the heating mat. The paper was starting to dry out a little so I re moistened it. I think it is a lost cause. I am a bit disappointed because not being aware of how this strain will turn out I really want to be able to compare the two for variance in phenos. I guess I have 4 more seeds I can try again at a later date.

For now the price just went up. $29.65/seed

A week has passed since I germinated these guys and they look just about how you would expect a week old seedling to look.
1 week old.jpg

What else can I say? There is no abnormal stretching or mutant growth so far so I got to be please where I am at thus far.

A few nights ago I started to think about my Zupreme seeds. Just by looking at the seeds I has a little pessimistic, anticipating that there might be a problem because of how pale and white they are. Because of my results of my first attempt to germination, I thought maybe I should file a complaint with the seed bank.

Analyzing my argument...What kind of case do I have hear? One of my seeds didn't germinate? Thats not much of a case study. Although it is 50% of what I attempted I dont think there is enough to go with here. Therefore I decided to give it another go. Surely I could try to squeeze two more trees into my grow space. Afterall, if I really want to compare phenos, then I need multiple plants to compare.

zummi germinated.jpg

Same result, 1 out of 2 or 50%. Now I still have 2 seeds I havent attempted yet, plus the 2 that popped. Assuming the 2 I still have will both germinate that gets my price to $37.06/seed. Man this better be some bomb ass dankness.

A few side notes.

1. Looking at the picture in post #3, out of the 4 seeds I had to pick from I chose one of the darkest and one of the most palest just to see if it made a difference.

2. After the soak and then into the paper towel you can clearly see that the dark colors came out from the seed. I recall a few years back doing a dry ice sift with my supply to attain a pile of kief. The whole reason I did the dry ice thing was because I didn't want to pick seeds out of all the flowers. The end result was it seed to removing the coloration from the seeds, but in the end when I tried to grow those, the germinated pretty easily.

Moving forward, I place the one germinated seed into a jiffy pellet and let the other one ride for another day or so. The first one is after about 36 hours in the paper towel.

Zummi jiffy.jpg

I am sure there wont be anything to report for another week, so until next time....

Well another week in quarantine has passed...The first photo is the 2 Zupreme seedlings. The bigger one is now 2 weeks old and the smaller one was just germinated a week ago and popped out the jiffy pellet last Tuesday. Its not easy to see, but I did get the fan a bit close and had a fan leaf twisting. I already adjusted and everything appears fine. So far the 2 week old plant is indicating to me that it will lean indica because of the broad leaves. I kinda suspected this because of the lineage of zkittlez but I have no idea what the zmoothie z3 is going to bring.

zup 1 week. 2 week.jpg

The Star Killers are moving at the same pace, they are 2 weeks old and going on their 3rd set of leaves. There is quite a bit more info online about this strain so I will be able to compare. It also gives me some sense of expectations in contrast to the zupreme, I have no idea what to expect. Back to the veg closest for another week of isolation.

Star Killer 2 week.jpg

Depending on how fast the grow, I plan to mainline these fucker into 4 colas each, but we'll see how that goes.

Its been about 10 days, not much to report. I can say that I am happy the garden store is open. I picked up a few sacks of Ocean Forest and will re-pot this weekend in all likelihood. I did get impatient and decided to "top" cutting off just below the 5th node. It started with Blue Ox that I am not documenting but then I followed with the elder Zupreme. By the time I got to the Star Killer it was questionable whether or not it was to early to top, so...I did anyway. I may have topped or maybe its a fim, either way you want to call it, pics to follow so you can judge.

Zup topped 24 day.jpg

This Zupreme is 24 days old. I cut right above the 4th node. She is a squatter, very compact. After cutting she measured in at 4.25" tall. hopefully she grows out two more branches. If she grows more cause of a FIM job I'll take it. I kinda get greedy wanting to leave the growth below so I can grab some cuts. Here is the scalp job close up. All in all she is pretty healthy though and I want to get her transplanted not only for the root space but to supplement some more nutrients. Im going to have to get some fertilizer on my next trip out of quarantine.

Zup fimmed close up 24.jpg

Here is a flick of the Zupreme sisters side by side. The elder is 24 days the younger 17 days. The younger one is on its 4th set of leaves, I wont top until next week.

Zup sisters 24 and 17 days.jpg

The Star Killer has a lot more spacing between nodes. Even with more spacing she is still short as well. The broad Indica leaves that I am accustomed to. I should have to top but like I said, patience is not one of my better qualities. When it comes to the garden patience is something i don't usually have a choice about. Anyway, I only topped one of the Star Killers for now. Hopefully they are both females. Can anyone tell from the pics?

SK node 24.jpg

How many shoots this time?

Star Killer 24 Fim.jpg

And the other, not topped. check out the node spacing though

Star Killer 24 node space.jpg

Alright, we'll catch up after I re-pot these fuckers.

I thought this was pretty cool. I didn't catch it at first. This is the stronger of the 2 Star Killers.

I was looking at the node and concerned I didn't see a new shoot coming out from the junction between the fan leaf and the main stalk. The lower shoots are important to me to be able to grab some cuttings to both A. create a mother and B. put into flower and verify the sex.

Upon close inspection it seems it must have hit a growth spurt on the main stalk as the shoot was forming. I understand there will be mutations along the journey. Having the symmetrical growth from seed has been an advantage over cuttings when trying to form multiple colas. I am conflicted whether or not to top at this union as I would think this would be a pretty powerful branch considering how its joined to the main stalk. I still got 2 nodes above it. Could I grow the top nodes out and use those for cuttings? Probably overthinking it....I'm gonna let it ride and grow out for now and see how the rest of the plant develops.

Star Killer mutating.jpg

I just realized I never posted my photo documentation from last week when I re potted. Its not like it matters, nobody is following this journal anyways so.....better late than never. At least I will be able to look at the pics and compare growth from week to week as I go even if no else cares.

tansplant in soil.jpg

I put these ladies on the 2 gallon size pots using Fox Farms Ocean Forest. This is my preferred soil, sometimes I get a pro-mix, just kind of depends on whats in stock, the room in my trunk and how much cash I got on me at the time.

final before transplant.jpg

Another angle in the quart size containers. Glad I took these pics cause now I am seeing the plant on the left is already showing signs of over watering, so now I know I did that before transplant.

RB week 3.jpg

Roots look healthy. When transplanting I like to use both hands and grip it on the bottom and spread it apart kind like grabbing ass. Getting enough of a handful to spread it apart but gentle enough not to hurt it.

RB week 3 1.jpg

Not as much roots on this one but into the ocean forest they go.

repotted.jpg

having a pizza oven in the garage makes for an excellent work bench. Now Im going to move them to the veggie room.

My veggie room is composed of multiple tiers with a combination of LEDs & T-5s. For now these will go under the LEDd, as I rotate plants around, when these get to big I can move to a bigger shelf.
veggie out.jpg

It was very difficult to see the nodes as the fan leaves kinda covered the plant. These short and squatty indica plants are pretty compact.
sk cu.jpg

This Star Killer was showing signs of being over watered. I couldnt understand as I didnt give it much upon transplanting. However looking at the previous pics, seems it was happening before transplant took place.

SK Fim.jpg

This is the Star Killer that got the FIM job. Can already see the new growth occurring at the top.

Zup 1 BT.jpg

This is the older to the 2 Zupreme. Already been topped, still vegging out.

zup rp 2.jpg

Hard to tell. but the younger Zupreme, had not topped this one when the photo was taken. I did end up topping it about 3 days later.

A week has gone by since the last round, these photos were taken about an hour ago today. I am pleased that they have recovered somewhat from the over watering and have shown signs of vegetative growth.

SK 2 .jpg

Comparing this vs last weeks pic of the star killer the growth at this second node is very noticable. I am going to give this another week or so, take those cuts off the bottom and start some low stress training.

SK FIM .jpg

Here is the star killer that got the FIM treatment. I took 2 cuts off of it yesterday. Hoping they can root quickly so I can check the sex of this as I continue to veg.

SK FIM CU 2.jpg

Close up off the FIM union, notice 3 new branches with yet more growth. It was difficult to get a clear pic, but it appears that maybe 2 or 3 more branches are going to come out of that cut.

ZUp 1 post.jpg

Older sister, 2 cuts taken from her. Same treatment as the star killer, as she continue to veg up top, looking to take the other 2 cuts on the bottom to create a mom for future use. That is if this is the dankness I expect it to be.

ZUP 2 topped.jpg

the younger Zupreme sister after being topped. I probably could have taken 2 cuts off this one but Im going to wait it out. These are meant to be female seeds so I'm not in a rush for this one.

All in all, I am pleased with the growth after transplant considering they has some watering issues. After defoliating the fan leaves I feel like the individual branches are getting more exposure and beginning to grow more aggressive. Now that they are in fresh soil, I'm going to give them some time before feeding them. One note on the growing conditions though, today is 86 degrees. My veg room is up to 82. I had an HPS going in a tent outside the room, but I turned it off today and started harvesting the contents of that tent, SFV OG. I took the light down completely and will replace with LEDs for the next few months. TBD if I go back to the HPS in the fall but for now it makes the overall grow space in my basement to hot in the summer. Enjoy the rest of your mother's day and we will see what next week brings.

I got a really cool surprise this weekend. Between the pandemic unemployment assistance from the Feds as well as the stimulus check I thought I should get myself a gift. I deserve something for sitting on my ass for 2 months. I ordered some more seeds. I left a comment in the note section when making my transaction that I felt like for the price of the Zupreme I as dissatisfied with my germination results and that the beans were white and pale looking. Not trying to complain, only an FYI, maybe they gotten feedback from others that suggested the same.

Anyway much to my surprise when I opened.....
Twins.jpg

TWINS! separated at birth and reunited. I already got 2 healthy ladies and I pulled some cuts of them already so...
None the less, I am impressed how they stood behind their product. I didnt ask for nothing and was polite with my feedback, not trying to be a bitch. Whats the condition of these you ask? (like anyone is reading this)....

side by side.jpg

What can you really tell just from looking. Got to admit though they do look similar. Doesn't matter though, this is where I get confused on the math.

Did I just lower my price per seed to $14.82? The original price of first 6 @ $148.20 + 6 frees - 2 that didnt germinate = 10 seeds at $14.82 a piece, or did I just spend another $288 dollars on seeds? Dont care anymore.
New strain I got are

Spumoni The Plug (Maybe this factored in?)
Chocolate Thainapple True Canna Genetics (2017 Cosecha Cup )
Tip Top Magoo True Canna Genetics
Purple Strawberry Sherbert Pheno Finder Seeds (2018 2nd place sativa, High Times)
Sugar Tits Ultra Genetics

I think Im going to need a bigger garden!

Back
Top Bottom