Superoots Air Pots -An Evolution in Containers

Hi My friend, :) That is about what I do outside. Every two days I water most of them. Actually, I like it better this way. My plants are doing just like yours, their leaves droop and they look terrible. I know for sure it is time to water.
MJ is a plant that actually likes to dry out a bit before the next watering. So it's not bad, but a pain in the butt, to water every other day.
Do you have a hot grow room? That maybe a factor too. Low humidity may be a factor also.
Everyday when I go out and look at them, that's the first thing I look for...drooping. So it's pretty normal. :ganjamon:

I read that we are supposed to feed the plants every other watering. If the air pots dry out faster, would that mean that we feed them more often? I don't have air pots, but I'm curious as to how they work.

I read that we are supposed to feed the plants every other watering. If the air pots dry out faster, would that mean that we feed them more often? I don't have air pots, but I'm curious as to how they work.

Hi Max420 :yummy:

Well, I am changing my mind at the moment. I put about 40% more Perlite in the one's I have growing now, so they do dry out quickly. They have changed for some reason and now only need watering every three days, which is much nicer. Lot less work!

I am using Osmacote + for nutes, so I don't feed them, except in case of emergency. The OC+ time releases when needed and it works very well. It's a new product which you can buy at Home Depot for $20 bucks. You get enough for several grows.

Now, back to the Airpots. The last three I just put into bloom are planted in FF Happy Frog soil with nothing added but OC+. No extra perlite added.I think that will mean watering every 4 or 5 days. Much better.

Hope that helps. My last grow was an every 3rd day watering schedule and 5 plants gave me almost 1 and a quarter pounds. So they do produce. :thumb:

A good rule of thumb is that a plant in an airpot will feed more aggressively. But the feed every other watering technique is way too general. Some plants feed more often and in greater quantities than others. It really depends on size and strain of the plant.
The best bet is water the plant routinely and feed it according to it's size and growth stage.
As an example that could mean feeding once a week during preflower and feeding every other day during full heavy bloom.

Hi Max420 :yummy:

Well, I am changing my mind at the moment. I put about 40% more Perlite in the one's I have growing now, so they do dry out quickly. They have changed for some reason and now only need watering every three days, which is much nicer. Lot less work!

I am using Osmacote + for nutes, so I don't feed them, except in case of emergency. The OC+ time releases when needed and it works very well. It's a new product which you can buy at Home Depot for $20 bucks. You get enough for several grows.

Now, back to the Airpots. The last three I just put into bloom are planted in FF Happy Frog soil with nothing added but OC+. No extra perlite added.I think that will mean watering every 4 or 5 days. Much better.

Hope that helps. My last grow was an every 3rd day watering schedule and 5 plants gave me almost 1 and a quarter pounds. So they do produce. :thumb:

Interesting stuff with the Osmocote+ stuff OMM. I need to do some more reading on it.
I've read alot about how time release nutes are not ideal for mj but like SS coming full circle on the uncut soil I'm coming around on the time release.
This year I tried out Fox Farms American Pride fertilizer which is a dry blend that's mixed in the soil. It too is time release. It did amazing things for my veggie garden and it revitalized my landscape. I used it with OF to bring back some potted lemon bushes that had bad freeze burn and the combo performed a miracle.
I should have tried it out on these two auto flowers but I forgot all about it.
I think I'll take a few clones of each of my strains and pot them up in Roots 707 and the American Pride and do nothing but water them to see how it goes. It would be nice to not have to worry about feeding a plant until an emergency like you said or maybe just some supplements around week 5 thru 7

hi i was wondering if you cud tell me the diffence and the benefits using the air pots against the pots im using ie i have air domes at the bottom of my pots with soil over the top........i ask as i ain t used this method before.......and your pots look real interesting.......be lucky weedtastic

Interesting stuff with the Osmocote+ stuff OMM. I need to do some more reading on it.
I've read alot about how time release nutes are not ideal for mj but like SS coming full circle on the uncut soil I'm coming around on the time release.
This year I tried out Fox Farms American Pride fertilizer which is a dry blend that's mixed in the soil. It too is time release. It did amazing things for my veggie garden and it revitalized my landscape. I used it with OF to bring back some potted lemon bushes that had bad freeze burn and the combo performed a miracle.
I should have tried it out on these two auto flowers but I forgot all about it.
I think I'll take a few clones of each of my strains and pot them up in Roots 707 and the American Pride and do nothing but water them to see how it goes. It would be nice to not have to worry about feeding a plant until an emergency like you said or maybe just some supplements around week 5 thru 7

Hi OB I'll save you the trouble on research on OC+ here's a link

Speaking of SS.....he's using it too! :surf:

hi i was wondering if you cud tell me the diffence and the benefits using the air pots against the pots im using ie i have air domes at the bottom of my pots with soil over the top........i ask as i ain t used this method before.......and your pots look real interesting.......be lucky weedtastic

Hi Mate Here's a link to AirPots. Be sure to watch ALL of the videos you can find on the site. They explain exactly how they work and why. :surf:

Howdy Fellas!

I am new here and a first time grower.
I have used Air pots for both veg and now bloom. I have to say, as some of you have, that these pots are not the best choice for a 1st time grower. I used the 4 x 6 for seedlings and am using the 2.5gal thru flower. The guy at CalGrowers said he has several customers doing big grows that swear by the 2.5

Anyway,...i have had mediocre luck with these things, and above all have to say i was caught off guard as to how often these things need water. I am using a 4 x 4 tent, temp at 76-78, humidity 45-65% and in my 5th week of bloom. I have to water every 2nd day!

Unfortunately, early on, i misunderstood feeding schedule and had been feeding 1/2 strength nutes every single watering. When i found my runoff to be 2000+PPM...i knew i had trouble. I submerged the pots 3 times to try to rinse the salts out, and have watered 3 times with nio nutes.
Now i am continuing my flowering. I have a tremendous amount of yellow fan leaves, which may be that i let them swing too far the other way and now they are nitrogen deficient,....or they may just be dying due to flowering.

Anywhoo!....love the pots, but they sure drink an insane amount of water.
I have rejected the idea of the blump/whatever watering device as it seems it would clog with nutes....guess i could use it in between feedings:)

I don't think the air pots are necessarily bad for first time growers. If I would have discovered them sooner I would be using the 2.4 gallon air pots right now instead of standard 3 gallon nursery pots. I am currently starting my third week of vegetation for my first grow. I am a noob to cannabis, but I have been gardening for years & have developed a natural green thumb.

I think watering is something you have to figure out anytime you use soil regardless of the pot you use. At least with the air pots, you really can't over water which many 1st time growers make that mistake. Generally you also don't need to worry about rootrot with air pots due to their air pruning & excellent drainage properties.

On a side note, I enjoyed reading the information so far...big thanks to OldMedMan for sharing your opinion & photos :thanks:

Howdy Fellas!

I am new here and a first time grower.
I have used Air pots for both veg and now bloom. I have to say, as some of you have, that these pots are not the best choice for a 1st time grower. I used the 4 x 6 for seedlings and am using the 2.5gal thru flower. The guy at CalGrowers said he has several customers doing big grows that swear by the 2.5

Anyway,...i have had mediocre luck with these things, and above all have to say i was caught off guard as to how often these things need water. I am using a 4 x 4 tent, temp at 76-78, humidity 45-65% and in my 5th week of bloom. I have to water every 2nd day!

Unfortunately, early on, i misunderstood feeding schedule and had been feeding 1/2 strength nutes every single watering. When i found my runoff to be 2000+PPM...i knew i had trouble. I submerged the pots 3 times to try to rinse the salts out, and have watered 3 times with nio nutes.
Now i am continuing my flowering. I have a tremendous amount of yellow fan leaves, which may be that i let them swing too far the other way and :cheer:now they are nitrogen deficient,....or they may just be dying due to flowering.

Anywhoo!....love the pots, but they sure drink an insane amount of water.
I have rejected the idea of the blump/whatever watering device as it seems it would clog with nutes....guess i could use it in between feedings:)

Hi Ratpatrol :welcome: To 420:cheer:
Yep! Love the air pots too. The last few I've used, I did not add any perlite to the soil and those only need watering only every 4 days now. Something to think about for your next grow.

Thanks for you comments and for you stopping in to see us:cheer:

I don't think the air pots are necessarily bad for first time growers. If I would have discovered them sooner I would be using the 2.4 gallon air pots right now instead of standard 3 gallon nursery pots. I am currently starting my third week of vegetation for my first grow. I am a noob to cannabis, but I have been gardening for years & have developed a natural green thumb.

I think watering is something you have to figure out anytime you use soil regardless of the pot you use. At least with the air pots, you really can't over water which many 1st time growers make that mistake. Generally you also don't need to worry about rootrot with air pots due to their air pruning & excellent drainage properties.

On a side note, I enjoyed reading the information so far...big thanks to OldMedMan for sharing your opinion & photos :thanks:

Hi awmartian Glad to see you on 420.:cheer:
I just got some 3.2 gallon air pots and they are way smaller that the 3.7 gallon air pots. Think the 3.7 pots are actually somewhere around 4.5 gallons.

I'm growing some indica in the 3.2 pots and they seem perfect for them!

I like these things for allot of reasons. Easy, pretty much easy to use and reuse. I like the fact you can store them flat too. Most important in how well they work.

Just ordered a few of the 5.4 gallon pots to see just how big I can grow some big sativas.

Great that you have a green thumb from gardening that will help you allot growing mj. Glad you joined us on 420. It's a great place to be! :)

Stop by my current grow to see the airpots in action. By the way Thanks for the compliments. Glad your here with us now, Good Luck! :):):):)

im starting a grow with autoflowers and was wondering what size air pots i should use in my small grow space thats 2x1.5x3. under a 150w hps.
growing: auto: ak,ww,and himilaya blue diesel.

I searched the word "coco" in this thread, but came up empty.

Does anyone have any experience and/or thoughts about using coco with these air pots?

also, it doesn't look like the bottom of the air pots would transmit the warmth from a heating pad very well, since the floor is raised and it looks like very little contact would be made?

I searched the word "coco" in this thread, but came up empty.

Does anyone have any experience and/or thoughts about using coco with these air pots?

also, it doesn't look like the bottom of the air pots would transmit the warmth from a heating pad very well, since the floor is raised and it looks like very little contact would be made?

High SS!
I've never used straight coco coir but there is alot of coir in the Roots soil I use.
If your thinking of a straight coco medium I'm guess that you're considering them for a hempy? I'm sure they would work for it but I could'nt be certain if you would notice a difference in performance over a bucket.
They could also be used in an ebb n flo but net pots would offer the same performance for much less $

You're right about the bottom not having any contact with the floor. The bottom screen of the pots is raised up about 2" inside the pots. This is for the "air reservoir" the air pots create and is really why plants perform the way they do in these pots. The holes in the side along with the hills and valleys of the pots wall structure help disperse roots throughout the pots but that bottom screen is the key.
When I transplant I'll see thousands of pin head roots poking thru the screen being air pruned instead of being jammed up at the bottom of the pots and coiling. I believe that is what causes the plants accelerated growth rate more than anything.
For the heat mat I could'nt tell you. It's so warm down here we dont need them! :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom