Tap water vs. distilled

ScaredStupid

First of all thanks to Crop King for a great selection of product, fast shipping, and great service!

So my last grow was over 30 years ago so I'm basically a newbie here. I'm trying Afghani, NYC Diesel, and Haze Extreme.

I'm wondering about the effects of tap water on germination. For my first attempt I used regular tap water and only saw a 50% success rate with 13 seeds. For the other half (ish) I used distilled water on 12 seeds and saw a 100% success rate. I did everything exactly the same other than the water source. I know my city water supply has chlorine and ammonia added to it. So I'm wondering: is this the root (pun intended) of my lower success rate? I realize what I'm doing is is too small a sample pool for anything definitive, but the difference is hard to dismiss...

Hi Scared Stupid.

Welcome to the 420 Magazine site and community of members that gathers here. :welcome:

I'm with ShiggityFlip in that I have used tap water almost exclusively for both seeds and cloning and never had any failure issues that I could attribute to the water. It may very well be something in your water that isn't present in ours though.

Be well and happy growing.

Thanks for the response! Yes, my suspicion is that there is something in the water here (Victoria BC) such as a higher concentration of ammonia or chlorine that is killing the seeds. In any case it was an easy fix to just switch to distilled water have complete success.

Back
Top Bottom