The Deep Water Culture Home

well i was wondering because I am already starting to plan my next grow, and I have been looking at a 1000w switchable silverstar reflector and upgrading to a grow tent and a pro 2 res.
SH Hydroponics, Inc. > 1000W Switchable 24-Planter Deep Water Culture Kit
this one basically.

The Silver Star is a top of the line reflector. Nice choice! Growing in a tent you'll also need to use a tempered glass shield and at least a 6" inline blower to pull the heat off the lamp and evacuate it from the room.
If you leave one end of the reflector open it can also work to eliminate odor and humidity.

:thumb:

I also use technaflora, are you going to use thrive alive b1-red in the res?

I really haven't decided yet.
I saw someone (I think it was you) say that the stuff is bad, and since I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't know if I should just follow the "recipe for success", or just use the recipe without it.
The guy at the hydro store told me that I should only use half of what the recipe says to use, and not the full doses, so I am totally confused! :loopy:

:peacetwo:

I am now a :420: in training! :)

I really haven't decided yet.
I saw someone (I think it was you) say that the stuff is bad, and since I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't know if I should just follow the "recipe for success", or just use the recipe without it.
The guy at the hydro store told me that I should only use half of what the recipe says to use, and not the full doses, so I am totally confused! :loopy:

:peacetwo:

I am now a :420: in training! :)
It's not really bad, I used it for a couple grows. The reason I don't like it is because it's thick and brown, it will stain the roots brown and makes the res hard to clean after the grow. Also if I remember right it's organic so it doesn't work well with h2o2.

Hey Deep Water Culture I've got a lil' update on my hydro for you!
After one week in veg all is going great! I just did a rez change on both the buckets and I want to show y'all the beauty of check valves in case any of you have never seen this done.
I have a bad back. Lifting and moving buckets/plants around can be painful at times. To eliminate any lifting and disturbance to the plants by removing the baskets from the buckets I use the check valves to drain the buckets.
I simply move an empty bucket below the rez bucket and turn the check valve elbow 180 degrees downward and let the bucket drain into the bucket below. No bending and lifting except to take the catch bucket outside to feed my orange tree!
Check valves can be installed on any type of rez by drilling a hole slightly larger than 1/2", inserting a 1/2" grommet, and then a 1/2" elbow into the grommet. Use the blue GH tubing so you can see the water level at any time but still keep algae from growing in the tube. Algae has a hard time growing on blue surfaces.

000_0351.JPG

Here's the girls one week in veg

000_03521.JPG

Very Nice :thumb:

Now if I could just figure out a way to do that without having the res raised up off the floor, I'd be GOLD!

Going to check your journal for updates bro!

Sam have a safe trip and hopefully some fun. I for one will miss you. I hope you have some time to jump into an internet cafe' to say hi now and again.

Very Nice :thumb:

Now if I could just figure out a way to do that without having the res raised up off the floor, I'd be GOLD!

Going to check your journal for updates bro!

Yeah Man I built my veg cab up high with an adjustable table system made from soda bottle crates that stack together. I hate bending down to the floor. I like to have plants between waist and eye level for comfort.
The bloom set up will be on the floor but with the remote rez i'll be able to pump the water out and into a bucket for disposal

Yeah Man I built my veg cab up high with an adjustable table system made from soda bottle crates that stack together. I hate bending down to the floor. I like to have plants between waist and eye level for comfort.
The bloom set up will be on the floor but with the remote rez i'll be able to pump the water out and into a bucket for disposal

With my bad back, I envy your setup. Alas, I am limited to 70" tall grow room.

I also use technaflora, are you going to use thrive alive b1-red in the res?

I was thinking about trying some of that stuff out to see if it lived up to the hype I have heard from a few other people growing soil. How do you like it? Any noticeable benefit? I stick to the lucas method and love the results and simplicity. But i am not against trying out additives that don't compromise the NPK ratio much.

I was thinking about trying some of that stuff out to see if it lived up to the hype I have heard from a few other people growing soil. How do you like it? Any noticeable benefit? I stick to the lucas method and love the results and simplicity. But i am not against trying out additives that don't compromise the NPK ratio much.
Nothing noticable, other than my roots stained brown. The NPK ratio is 1-1-1 for me, I can do without.

alright Deep Water Culture bros, i figure i got about 21 days left to bloom, when would you pull fan leaves and start tourture:)

Scaredeecat First Grow White Widow & BB, Magic Bud, Critical Jack, Moby Dick #2

I'm responding more as a considered recomendation from what I have learned fromn this group.

Never remove fan leaves. To stress plant bend tops over. Did you top the plant(s)? To bend the plant tops frimly place the stem, above a node, firmly between thumb and forefinger, squeeze and move fingers back and forth while increasing pressure on stem. You will feel the structure of the stem collapse. This gives you the bend spot. Now gently lay the top in the direction you want. It is important to position your fingers on the plant stem as to compliment the direction you want the top to bend in. Try not to rupture the stalk skin. You will rupture it. It will heal. Just try not to and you will be demonstrating the appropriate force necessary to accomplish your task.

Hey Deep Water Culture I've got a lil' update on my hydro for you!
After one week in veg all is going great! I just did a rez change on both the buckets and I want to show y'all the beauty of check valves in case any of you have never seen this done.
I have a bad back. Lifting and moving buckets/plants around can be painful at times. To eliminate any lifting and disturbance to the plants by removing the baskets from the buckets I use the check valves to drain the buckets.
I simply move an empty bucket below the rez bucket and turn the check valve elbow 180 degrees downward and let the bucket drain into the bucket below. No bending and lifting except to take the catch bucket outside to feed my orange tree!
Check valves can be installed on any type of rez by drilling a hole slightly larger than 1/2", inserting a 1/2" grommet, and then a 1/2" elbow into the grommet. Use the blue GH tubing so you can see the water level at any time but still keep algae from growing in the tube. Algae has a hard time growing on blue surfaces.

000_0351.JPG

Here's the girls one week in veg

000_03521.JPG

What is funny is that I have a Hydro construction PDF file that shows you how to do this. They didnt mention to have a blue tube. I decided not to do this cuz I could not find the 1/2 inch inner diameter grommet at home depot nor the elbow piece. Was just thinking to lift the plant up put in spare bucket while i do res change. Im young dont have any serious back problems (Not yet at least) but only if 420 had a sponsor who sold these buckets with the drain check valve would be awesome.

What is funny is that I have a Hydro construction PDF file that shows you how to do this. They didnt mention to have a blue tube. I decided not to do this cuz I could not find the 1/2 inch inner diameter grommet at home depot nor the elbow piece. Was just thinking to lift the plant up put in spare bucket while i do res change. Im young dont have any serious back problems (Not yet at least) but only if 420 had a sponsor who sold these buckets with the drain check valve would be awesome.

Myxx617, If you go to SHs website you can order the drain plugs that they use in their resevoirs , I think they cost about 10 bucks for 2 of them . I add a length of hose to them and drain my res. that way .. or just use your pump with a hose added to pump your res empty..

Back
Top Bottom