The DIY COB Addiction

If your trying to run cobs instead of qb boards in a 10 sq for area. I would go with 16 vero 29 se 80 cri c series chip with 2- 480-1750b drivers / 1-240-1750b driver. For a total of 1600 watts. That would cover a 10 sq ft area pretty well and with sum good lighting probably wouldn't even have to turn those fuckers all the way up. Those c series chips at 1750ma put out about 110watts per chip. They just hit the market.

160W per sq ft?

I react to that with a big what??? mainly because I think in terms of my own personal situation.

Living in an urban area in a state that sees excess power consumption as a red flag, I was hoping to reduce my electric bill or keep it steady. I get about 3.5 oz per month from a bit less than 10 sq feet out of 600W HPS running mostly 70+ day sativa heavy hybrids. That number is gradually creeping up as I become a better grower.

Will I get 7 oz per month out of 1600W COBs? Even if I do, I would need to shut down my other 10 sq ft under the other 600W HPS to keep my electrical bill steady, at which point I spent money to have the same results I have now.

Your solution doesn't make my mouth water if it doesn't make it easier/cheaper to grow the medical stuff my family consumes.

Eveyone's situation is different, but to dedicate a 20 amp circuit to 10 sq ft of space, I need to see spectacular yields, month after month.

- - -

I tried not to make this sound harsh, but I think I did only a so-so job. I'll just go away for the night and do something else now.

160W per sq ft?

I react to that with a big what??? mainly because I think in terms of my own personal situation.

Living in an urban area in a state that sees excess power consumption as a red flag, I was hoping to reduce my electric bill or keep it steady. I get about 3.5 oz per month from a bit less than 10 sq feet out of 600W HPS running mostly 70+ day sativa heavy hybrids. That number is gradually creeping up as I become a better grower.

Will I get 7 oz per month out of 1600W COBs? Even if I do, I would need to shut down my other 10 sq ft under the other 600W HPS to keep my electrical bill steady, at which point I spent money to have the same results I have now.

Your solution doesn't make my mouth water if it doesn't make it easier/cheaper to grow the medical stuff my family consumes.

Eveyone's situation is different, but to dedicate a 20 amp circuit to 10 sq ft of space, I need to see spectacular yields, month after month.

- - -

I tried not to make this sound harsh, but I think I did only a so-so job. I'll just go away for the night and do something else now.

Out of a 4x10 1500w setup you can pull up to 5 lbs with roughly 16 plants

Also about to convert my mars 400 to a 6cob vero 29. Should be about 200w of cob lighting bs blurple lighting.

I've been hearing a lot that the version "c" chipset is better than the version d and b. Any thoughts?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in the thread and asking a question about vegging.

I also use the Vero 29 SE and have been vegging with the 5k CRI-80.

Would I be better off using one of my spare vero29 SE 3.5K CRI-80 for vegging?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in the thread and asking a question about vegging.

I'm no authority but I would assume the 5000K is slightly better for veg although the 3500K would be fine all the way through from seed to harvest.

Adding a light would never be a bad thing. If you are talking about replacing a 5k for a 35k then I would not. During flower cycle that'd be your better option, but during veg, the blues of the 5k will benefit you immensely.

I'm no authority but I would assume the 5000K is slightly better for veg although the 3500K would be fine all the way through from seed to harvest.
Thank you,

That is also my understanding, but opinions change and if the 3.5k was better, I have one as a spare.

Adding a light would never be a bad thing. If you are talking about replacing a 5k for a 35k then I would not. During flower cycle that'd be your better option, but during veg, the blues of the 5k will benefit you immensely.
I was indeed asking if switching lights was an advantage. Thanks so much.

How well do you think the new Mars cob will perform since you guys obviously know how poweful these things are. What can i expect from this one? I'm one of the first growers to test one and i never tried a cob before. Put 7 autos under it as a first test

420-magazine-mobile219873578.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1773759773.jpg

They popped about 10 days ago or so.

Here's the lamp specs:

Mars COB light is new model, it carry IP65 enclosures which offer complete protection against particles and water. This COB using Meanwell driver, cxb 3590, and around the COB had add red and blue chips, which are Osram and Cree chips. Fan radiator help your tent running cool without any noisy, perfect for your indoor grow.

Item NO.:MARS COB

BTU:378.78BTU

Compare to HPS/MH/HID:250w HPS

certificate:CE, RoHS

Draw power:110W + - 5%@AC120V 108W + - 5%@AC240V

Amps:0.987A/120V 0.46 A/240V

Voltage:AC100-240V AC277 for North America only

Decibel value:0db

N.W/G.W:3.4KG(7.5lb)

Coverage:Core coverage: 2.5'x2.5' / Max coverage: 4.5'x4.5'

Lifespan:50000 hours

spectrum:450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, and white

Plug Type:USA. UK, EU, AU, Japan

UPC Number:600740988462

Dimension:290*220*210mm (12'x9'x8')

Work Temperature:-4°F ~105°F (-20°C ~ 40°C)

humidity:=<90%

Chip Brand:Osram, Cree

How well do you think the new Mars cob will perform since you guys obviously know how poweful these things are. What can i expect from this one? I'm one of the first growers to test one and i never tried a cob before. Put 7 autos under it as a first test

420-magazine-mobile219873578.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1773759773.jpg

They popped about 10 days ago or so.

Here's the lamp specs:

Mars COB light is new model, it carry IP65 enclosures which offer complete protection against particles and water. This COB using Meanwell driver, cxb 3590, and around the COB had add red and blue chips, which are Osram and Cree chips. Fan radiator help your tent running cool without any noisy, perfect for your indoor grow.

Item NO.:MARS COB

BTU:378.78BTU

Compare to HPS/MH/HID:250w HPS

certificate:CE, RoHS

Draw power:110W + - 5%@AC120V 108W + - 5%@AC240V

Amps:0.987A/120V 0.46 A/240V

Voltage:AC100-240V AC277 for North America only

Decibel value:0db

N.W/G.W:3.4KG(7.5lb)

Coverage:Core coverage: 2.5'x2.5' / Max coverage: 4.5'x4.5'

Lifespan:50000 hours

spectrum:450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, and white

Plug Type:USA. UK, EU, AU, Japan

UPC Number:600740988462

Dimension:290*220*210mm (12'x9'x8')

Work Temperature:-4°F ~105°F (-20°C ~ 40°C)

humidity:=<90%

Chip Brand:Osram, Cree

I think 2-4 ounces is realistic. Figure if you are a badass and get 2gpw like some other cob growers you'll get these numbers.

That sounds lovely. And with a high producing strain I believe that could in fact be the end result. But these are autos and they're in 6 liter pots in a very temporary grow space. I kinda set it up just to test this lamp.

Think when i get a tent for it, I'll do a round in dwc to see what's possible to squeeze out of this little lamp.

I won it in a photo contest and I'm probably the first to test this new mars hydro lamp

I see they call it a 250 watter now. When they first made it they rated it as a 150 watter. They obviously didn't have the same faith as me and you good folks in cob.

They also only made 100 lamps and they don't know if they will ever make more. Pity cause it's already my favourite lamp of theirs. Would love to fill a room with 8 of these.

I see they call it a 250 watter now. When they first made it they rated it as a 150 watter. They obviously didn't have the same faith as me and you good folks in cob.

They also only made 100 lamps and they don't know if they will ever make more. Pity cause it's already my favourite lamp of theirs. Would love to fill a room with 8 of these.

Whatever they are using to come up with 250 watts is intriguing to me. If they are counting those little blurple leds on the side of the cree.... in the cob world that's almost irrelevant. The cxb3590 isn't very efficient at high watts. If let's say 75w of the 100w draw is from the 3590, I'd expect double that in yield under PERFECT conditions. PM me and I can tell yah why the mars probably only had one production run, can also help yah with that light idea.

I like that little ring of blurple around the cree. How efficient they are however i do not know. Guess a little bit since they're osrams instead of epistar

Back
Top Bottom