The Everything SWICK Club: 2023 And Beyond

It seems that plant pots with numerous drain holes around the bottom perimeter make roots that pop out the holes, and plants with no perimeter holes have roots infesting the wicks and reservoir water.
20230212_105352.jpg
20230203_055352.jpg

It seems that plant pots with numerous drain holes around the bottom perimeter make roots that pop out the holes, and plants with no perimeter holes have roots infesting the wicks and reservoir water.
20230212_105352.jpg
20230203_055352.jpg
If I wanted to swick a solo I would have to put it in first before adding anything correct? CL🍀

If I wanted to swick a solo I would have to put it in first before adding anything correct? CL🍀
20230213_065700.jpg
20230213_065824.jpg

I use a soldering gun to make 18 holes around the cup and 1 thru the center of the bottom.

I tie the knot in the wool and pull it thru the hole with my wifes crochet hook.

Then I fill it with soil, place it in a canning jar, and gently water it until the jar gets about half full.

Then I mark the jar and let it sit over night, change the reservoirs to clean water, and plant.

I have tried various patterns of holes. So far this works best.

6 equal holes around the bottom, then 2 more layers of 6 holes going up.

I may try more holes on my next ones.

20230213_065700.jpg
20230213_065824.jpg

I use a soldering gun to make 18 holes around the cup and 1 thru the center of the bottom.

I tie the knot in the wool and pull it thru the hole with my wifes crochet hook.

Then I fill it with soil, place it in a canning jar, and gently water it until the jar gets about half full.

Then I mark the jar and let it sit over night, change the reservoirs to clean water, and plant.

I have tried various patterns of holes. So far this works best.

6 equal holes around the bottom, then 2 more layers of 6 holes going up.

I may try more holes on my next ones.
Yeah that’s what I thought so it’s too late for the solos I already have growing then. CL🍀

The bottom round of holes works best if the hole is on the side and the bottom of the cup. If the center hole is the only bottom drainage a root will run down the wick.
20230212_105520.jpg
Such pretty roots, and what could be simpler? The growth you are getting is a good sign.

these are not necessarily swick style, its Kratky Method. 1 has No airstone, the other has an airstone. Ive noticed, the no airstone is bigger and seemingly better root system, as the airstone pruned the roots right at the strainer surface. The 2 smaller plants are the same age as the others. In just coco-promix medium mix.

Day 43 from seed-Strain is JCK, ( DeathStar x SFVOG X Skywalker x Master Kush ) Welcome to the Grow Tent Genetics.
using 130 watts- PerfectSun LED light
Perfect Sun Nutes
500PPM
Water change weekly, Water from the top when dry.

Roots are brownish because of using ReCharge

Im not journaln this grow, but figured to plop it here with SIP, because basically it is.

day43-1.png

day43-4.png

day43-2.png

day43-3.png

day43-5.png

Yeah that’s what I thought so it’s too late for the solos I already have growing then. CL🍀
You can push a wick up through a bottom hole to get one started mid grow if you want to try it. Try to get good contact with enough soil without an airpocket around the wick.

It won't work as well as one built before filling with soil, but it still should work fine.

You can push a wick up through a bottom hole to get one started mid grow if you want to try it. Try to get good contact with enough soil without an airpocket around the wick.

It won't work as well as one built before filling with soil, but it still should work fine.
I’m using @Bill284s method with the layers of perlite,Frass,Myco, bokashi and soil though. Any suggestions? CL🍀 :thanks: :Namaste:

please consider my application to join the swick club??

I‘m riding Captain Luckys’ coat tails…. Here we have 2 wedding cake clones in 7 gallon smart pots doing swick thang while soaking their toes in a washing machine drain pan. The seedling in 2 gallon hardside is sitting high & dry and is not affiliated with the SIP or SWICK club

Use a knitting needle or something to push the wick up through one of the drain holes up into the soil.
A long crachet hook or a piece of stiff wire with a hook bent on one end, pushed thru a bottom hole, but not up and in, push it across the bottom and out another hole, then hook your wick in and pull it back, in one hole and out the other, giving you 2 wicks across from each other.

I‘m riding Captain Luckys’ coat tails…. Here we have 2 wedding cake clones in 7 gallon smart pots doing swick thang while soaking their toes in a washing machine drain pan. The seedling in 2 gallon hardside is sitting high & dry and is not affiliated with the SIP or SWICK club

Awesome 013! Will you show us your swick method?

its Kratky Method
I've heard of that but never read about it. What is the difference between Kratky and Swick?

Are you getting better results from using your swick/sip? CL🍀

I've heard of that but never read about it. What is the difference between Kratky and Swick?
Wasn’t it @Krissi Carbone who named it swick? CL🍀

20230214_071220.jpg

Only about 40 hours on the new swicky pad and roots are rooting in to it all over and myco is setting up in spots.

It has drank a smidge over 3 litres re-hydrating itself after the green swicky failed.

The peach one is way more absorbant.

I couldn't get the green one off so it goes for the ride.

The peach one has 10 wicks hanging into a 10 litre pail.

Screenshot_20230214_064703_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230214_064548_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230214_064501_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230214_064536_Gallery.jpg

Hopefully it readies itself for flower soon.

20230214_063100.jpg

20230214_071220.jpg

Only about 40 hours on the new swicky pad and roots are rooting in to it all over and myco is setting up in spots.

It has drank a smidge over 3 litres re-hydrating itself after the green swicky failed.

The peach one is way more absorbant.

I couldn't get the green one off so it goes for the ride.

The peach one has 10 wicks hanging into a 10 litre pail.

Screenshot_20230214_064703_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230214_064548_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230214_064501_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230214_064536_Gallery.jpg

Hopefully it readies itself for flower soon.

20230214_063100.jpg
That’s impressive rooting you got going on 👍. Great roots grow great buds. CL🍀

Hi Carmen!

Kratky uses the roots to transport the water rather then a wick. You fill the res up and let it go. When the plant drinks the res up, you add just about 2-3 inches worth of liquid till harvest. You cant fill totally up, or the plant will drown because it needs air. Its the most passive "hyrdo" system possible. its pretty much the same folks are doing with the solo and mason jar. I perfer to change out the res weekly, to freshin it up and make sure PH is ok. This method is used mostly for faster growing plants, like lettuce. But i also use a strainer to build a bigger rootbase. Next time im going to use a 5gallon i think. So this is a tester run.

That’s impressive rooting you got going on 👍. Great roots grow great buds. CL🍀
Its a lot of roots for how little of the plant is left. It still needs some recovery time.

A week or two of ewc and fish ferts will get it ready for flower.

Hopefully this swicky pad can handle the draw of water the plant requires.

So far its holding well.
20230214_062731.jpg

The Mutant seems very happy in its new 7gal perlite bed swick thingy. It looks a bit overwatered but that seems to be a trend for the 1st few days until it adjusts.

Back
Top Bottom