Welcome to SIP Club!

There are an increasing number of us growing in SIPs (Sub Irrigated Planters) so I thought I'd start a community thread where we can all post pictures, links to our various SIP threads and have general discussions on theory and application of these incredible pots.

I'll tag a few below and hopefully they'll post links to their threads and pictures of their grows and pots so we have a central place to discuss these things. So ask any questions and share your experiences here, and link up to your respective journals so we can all follow along.

First, the basics.

A SIP is a grow pot structured with some sort of grow mix above, a water reservoir below, and and air chamber in between them. This air chamber and the constant availablilty of water and nutrients are what I believe lead to the incredible results these pots produce. Every plant I've grown in these has been healthier, happier and bigger than those in non-SIP containers. They are great for new growers since they take the guesswork out of watering which is one of the main challenges new growers face, but experienced growers also use them to great effect.

Here's a diagram of the basic set-up:

1662329603855.png

There are commercial versions that can be purchased including 5 gallon bucket inserts like this :

1662331125831.png

as well as "self-watering" pots like Krissi grows in here:

20220211_093401.jpg

They are also easy to DIY if you're into that sort of thing and I've built them in various sizes including 9oz/266ml, 1Q/1L, 2G/8L, and 17G/64L sizes. I'll post some how-to instructions in later posts for those that might want to try building one themselves.

Harvests from indoor plants grown with the 5 gallon inserts seem to be limited to just over 1 pound ( :rofl: ) as was produced by Buds Buddy's plant shown here:

15-374   6-30-22.JPG

15-375   6-30-22.JPG

15-376   6-30-22.JPG

Emilya Green has a few journals going now showcasing her grows in her much larger, multiple 17 Gallon containers which is shaping up to be epic.

But here's a sneak peak:

stretch may have stopped.JPG

ResDog has several different styles going and is working on a self-watering version from an external reservoir, and LKA and Farside have just started grows with their own buckets.

So, chime in with your questions, thoughts, experiences, etc. and we'll have a central place to discuss all things SIP!

Tags:
@Buds Buddy @el gringuito @Emilya Green @farside05 @Krissi Carbone @LKABudMan @ReservoirDog

Welcome to SIP Club!

There are an increasing number of us growing in SIPs (Sub Irrigated Planters) so I thought I'd start a community thread where we can all post pictures, links to our various SIP threads and have general discussions on theory and application of these incredible pots.

I'll tag a few below and hopefully they'll post links to their threads and pictures of their grows and pots so we have a central place to discuss these things. So ask any questions and share your experiences here, and link up to your respective journals so we can all follow along.

First, the basics.

A SIP is a grow pot structured with some sort of grow mix above, a water reservoir below, and and air chamber in between them. This air chamber and the constant availablilty of water and nutrients are what I believe lead to the incredible results these pots produce. Every plant I've grown in these has been healthier, happier and bigger than those in non-SIP containers. They are great for new growers since they take the guesswork out of watering which is one of the main challenges new growers face, but experienced growers also use them to great effect.

Here's a diagram of the basic set-up:

1662329603855.png

There are commercial versions that can be purchased including 5 gallon bucket inserts like this :

1662331125831.png

as well as "self-watering" pots like Krissi grows in here:

20220211_093401.jpg

They are also easy to DIY if you're into that sort of thing and I've built them in various sizes including 9oz/266ml, 1Q/1L, 2G/8L, and 17G/64L sizes. I'll post some how-to instructions in later posts for those that might want to try building one themselves.

Harvests from indoor plants grown with the 5 gallon inserts seem to be limited to just over 1 pound ( :rofl: ) as was produced by Buds Buddy's plant shown here:

15-374   6-30-22.JPG

15-375   6-30-22.JPG

15-376   6-30-22.JPG

Emilya Green has a few journals going now showcasing her grows in her much larger, multiple 17 Gallon containers which is shaping up to be epic.

But here's a sneak peak:

stretch may have stopped.JPG

ResDog has several different styles going and is working on a self-watering version from an external reservoir, and LKA and Farside have just started grows with their own buckets.

So, chime in with your questions, thoughts, experiences, etc. and we'll have a central place to discuss all things SIP!

Tags:
@Buds Buddy @el gringuito @Emilya Green @farside05 @Krissi Carbone @LKABudMan @ReservoirDog
So funny cause you are in my head. I had thought about another thread on this topic but I have a few threads rolling right now and I haven't been able to start another.

I'll be happy to post links or answer any questions on the pots I use. I think the technical name for the brand is 'self-feed/water reserve'. Like Azi said, these pots serve the basic principles of the SIP-allowing aeration and a gap between the roots and the reserve that allow the plant to 'feed' as it gets hungry.

I've seen questions if they can be used both outdoors and in and the answer is YES. I started using these pots in my outdoor vegetable gardens last year and fell in love with the growth and health of my plants. Decided to try it on the cannabis girls and haven't looked back. They are commercially available in 3gl and 5gl sizes and found at any local retailer like Home Depot or Lowes.

These types of systems-rather a SIP or these self feeding pots, are great for both the under and over watering type of grower. They are game changing in terms of overall plant health, size and final yield. They are easy to adapt to and from the tutorials I have seen on making a DIY version, quite simple to make, provided you have the time and dexterity to do so.

Any of my grows in my 'Ultimate Grow' on my sig will have these pots. If anyone is interested in knowing anything more or in detail, please lmk. I'm happy to post here when I up-pot to the 5gl water reserves next week.

Azi, thank you again for starting this thread. I'll be a happy contributer.

Thanks, Krissi. I know Buds Buddy credits you with starting him on his SIP journey and he hasn't looked back.

There is lot's of great info on growing with them but it is scattered amongst our various journals so I thought having a central repository would be a good place to refer those that might have an interest and to answer many of the common questions that seem to pop up.

Thank you for this @Azimuth , a compendium of our accumulated and combined experience is necessary here.

As a first example I'm not extremely convinced that this is the best way to start new seedlings. I have an experiment now going to prove this is the case.

Thank you for including a picture of my current grow room with 3x 27 gallon sips. I am starting my new seedlings in 17 gallon sips and I have three plants nearing completion that are in 5 gallon sips.

One thing that is immediately obvious is the overall health of the plants in the sips. The plants are processing so much water that they have extreme trunk size and strength in all of the branches and limbs and constantly the leaves are praying to the light.

Thanks, Em!

I just plant the seed into its final container but I think it's best not to get the media too moist at first. Doing so makes the plant droopy and with that 'overwatered' look. I find it takes 2-3 weeks for any new plant to get adjusted to these things and I like to start seedlings or newly planted clones in the final pot but treat it like any other pot, ie lightly watered from above to let the plant get established.

One could start them off in a smaller pot and then transplant but then the 2-3 week clock starts and so I like to start them in their final pot. Once they get established I water thoroughly from above one time to get the wicking process started and then move on to mostly bottom watering through the fill tube.

The roots these things produce are mostly the small feeder roots so time spent in a smaller pot building the larger water seeking roots is essentially wasted since the plant won't need them in the SIP. I figure I'd rather start them out working on the roots they will be using right off.

But, I'm with you. Planting a seed in an already moist pot seems to take them a bit of extra time to get established.

I should add that @el gringuito is also starting a new SIP grow in a greenhouse setting, so there's another one to watch.

Thanks, Krissi. I know Buds Buddy credits you with starting him on his SIP journey and he hasn't looked back.

There is lot's of great info on growing with them but it is scattered amongst our various journals so I thought having a central repository would be a good place to refer those that might have an interest and to answer many of the common questions that seem to pop up.
Absolutely agree. I'm sure that many will be happy to see this pop up.

Thanks for the tag @Azimuth I have a Fruit Punch Auto in a SIP bucket now. I started her in a 4" pot and transferred her to the SIP on day# 17. It took her 5-7 days to adjust, but since then she has gone crazy.

She's now on day# 50 and has almost filled her 32x32 tent. She is drinking 3+ liters every day, and I have to give her water twice a day to keep the res from going dry. Next time I'm going to look for a SIP with a bigger res ;)

I time-lapse my plants and review, and can see a big difference between soil and hydro. Hydro plants grow constantly and never stop. Soil plants go crazy right after a water/feed, then slow down over the next couple of days before the next watering.

SIP grows more like hydro in that the plants have constant access to water & air and never stop growing. I'm not saying it grows as quickly as hydro, but MUCH quicker than soil on a wet/dry cycle. And more constant.

This is Pebbles on day# 50, Day# 33 in her SIP pot with Sohum soil amended with Geoflora and Dynomyco. She's under the @VIVOSUN AeroLight, a 100w LED.

Yay! Thank you, SIP-Sensai, for starting this thread, and everything else you’ve done to make my gardening hobby so much better. This moment, I'm loading up flower tent #2, (heretofore referred to as The Burn Unit) with some, already vegged in regular pots+, Gorilla Glue #4. Everybody gets a 10gal (ish) Geopot of customized ProMix HP and drink synth nutes from below. Will be interesting to see how well and how quickly they adapt to their new homes and can be flipped. As close to ‘immediately as possible’ I hope!
21FA0E48-7380-45ED-AAD1-5BC2F7DAE532.jpeg

As for Tent-1, The Penthouse, an identical setup has been carefully trained to stay level and low, These are Ultra Violet OG in foreground and Runtz behind. Nobody’s over 18”. These SIPs grow very well, and you’ve got to be OK with some defoliation because all that extra water goes to building more biomass.
456B19ED-9EF8-4429-8024-9BEF84DCE30E.jpeg

:nicethread:
Thanks for starting this thread, Azi! Great idea! I will try to contribute as I can.
I am running on empty right now, but hopefully tomorrow I can post.

Thanks for the tag @Azimuth. Just starting down this road with 5gal versions of GroBuckets. The seedlings are currently in Solo cups until they get some more size, then they'll see their SIP container. Beyond moving to SIPs, I'm also giving Osmocote another try. I did an experiment with it over the summer on an outdoor grow and the results turned out well (other than a lot of bud lost to rot due to an extremely wet summer). Based on prior experience, with the Osmocote mixed in, I should be able to use straight water until bloom. At that time I'll add some additional Cal-Mag and a Potassium supplement. Should this go as planned (things seldom do) it should make for an easy to maintain system.

Thanks for the tag @Azimuth. Just starting down this road with 5gal versions of GroBuckets. The seedlings are currently in Solo cups until they get some more size, then they'll see their SIP container. Beyond moving to SIPs, I'm also giving Osmocote another try. I did an experiment with it over the summer on an outdoor grow and the results turned out well (other than a lot of bud lost to rot due to an extremely wet summer). Based on prior experience, with the Osmocote mixed in, I should be able to use straight water until bloom. At that time I'll add some additional Cal-Mag and a Potassium supplement. Should this go as planned (things seldom do) it should make for an easy to maintain system.

Good start to sip life them 3 will fill that space in no time be prepared to raise the roof lol

For any of you making your own DIY SIPs it would be good to document the process here if you're willing. (I'm looking at you @Emilya Green and @ReservoirDog :laughtwo: )

I've got a different style than your two so I'll post it up as well. The smallest I've gone is a 9oz solo cup but that just shows anyone can give it a try, even those with smaller spaces. Or houseplants. I'm converting mine all over to SIPs as well, many in my 1L version.

I'm even trialing an aloe plant. I had two nearly identical small plants, one of which I potted up in a SIP about a month ago and now that one is easily twice as big as the other. I'm actually kind of surprised since I thought aloe liked their soil better on the drier side. Turns out that's not true. Who knew?

And of course for those looking for an 'off the shelf' option there is the 5 gallon bucket insert from GroBucket and the original EarthBox shown in the video Here. Both available on-line.

Thanks for the tag @Azimuth. Just starting down this road with 5gal versions of GroBuckets. The seedlings are currently in Solo cups until they get some more size, then they'll see their SIP container.
Depending on how long you plan to veg those little beauties, things could get a little tight in there. Ask @Buds Buddy about that. :laughtwo:

Beyond moving to SIPs, I'm also giving Osmocote another try. I did an experiment with it over the summer on an outdoor grow and the results turned out well
Excellent. Another variation on the theme. These buckets seem to grow great plants no matter the media or the nutes. Looking forward to it. :thumb:

Good start to sip life them 3 will fill that space in no time be prepared to raise the roof lol
True Dat!

Do I remember correctly that you were thinking about giving SIPs a go?

I'm with the others, thanks for starting this Azi! A great thread to have.
Thanks, Stunger. I've never heard anyone disappointed with a move to SIPs and I suspect we're going to see some great photos in this thread. Well, some more great photos as we've seen some already.

Depending on how long you plan to veg those little beauties, things could get a little tight in there. Ask @Buds Buddy about that. :laughtwo:

They're autos, so they should veg 4-5 weeks. If things go well, I have some space opening in tent #2 shortly where I can move 2 plants to.

Perhaps in January or February I'll see if I can fill an entire tent with 1 plant under a SCROG and a SIP. The Tropicana Cookies Purple Auto from @Expert Seedbank seems like a great candidate. She stretches like crazy and yields great too. It looks like they redid the write up on her. I am almost certain that when I bought it, the THC claims we're 20+. They've since decreased the projected THC, but all I can say is that it kicks like a mule. It's probably the hardest hitting strain I've grown in 8 years. If it's truly not the THC content that drives her, it's all about the terp profile.

Back
Top Bottom