Timber Grow Light

Stonecrusher

I have this Timber grow light that came with a 2x4 tent I purchased. Research shows this is a minimum 5 yrs old light and maybe doesnt have the "full spectrum" of newer lights, but has fixed 3500K COBBs. I did a run with it and it produced some nice plants but Im wondering if it is as good as newer LED lights. Also wondering if there is a way to supplement with blue and or red LEDs.

Yes, that light is a beast. The fact that it's still running and producing good bud 5 years out should tell you something. I believe that those COBs are Bridgelux Vero 29 7 series. 3500k is a great all-purpose spectrum. The light puts out 300 watts. You'll get good results if you run it between 12-18 inches from your plants. By keeping it in a tent, you'll maximize the light potential. The only area where the light lags is in efficacy. However, it makes up for that with high PPFD and canopy penetration. If nothing else, you've got an excellent veg light. Finally, those cobs are still available, and you can switch out the 3500k's with 3000k's if you want to. That light was built to last. Timber is still servicing them if needed.

Yes, that light is a beast. The fact that it's still running and producing good bud 5 years out should tell you something. I believe that those COBs are Bridgelux Vero 29 7 series. 3500k is a great all-purpose spectrum. The light puts out 300 watts. You'll get good results if you run it between 12-18 inches from your plants. By keeping it in a tent, you'll maximize the light potential. The only area where the light lags is in efficacy. However, it makes up for that with high PPFD and canopy penetration. If nothing else, you've got an excellent veg light. Finally, those cobs are still available, and you can switch out the 3500k's with 3000k's if you want to. That light was built to last. Timber is still servicing them if needed.
That is good news. And you are right it is very well made. This thing is solid and heavy! There are some nice 2x4 tents on sale now and Im considering adding a second one to my garage. I didn't really want to buy a new light.
My question for anyone who knows is if there is any merit to adding some spectrum for flower? And you @johnyautoseed suggested changing to 3000K COBs. Lots of companies are making their lights with more focus on deep and infra red for flowering, and even increased blue light (UV even). How would one go about delivering a balanced spectrum with this light?
Is there still a way to contact the Timber folks? I believe they have moved on.

That is good news. And you are right it is very well made. This thing is solid and heavy! There are some nice 2x4 tents on sale now and Im considering adding a second one to my garage. I didn't really want to buy a new light.
My question for anyone who knows is if there is any merit to adding some spectrum for flower? And you @johnyautoseed suggested changing to 3000K COBs. Lots of companies are making their lights with more focus on deep and infra red for flowering, and even increased blue light (UV even). How would one go about delivering a balanced spectrum with this light?
Is there still a way to contact the Timber folks? I believe they have moved on.

it's not hard to source the cobs they used. heat sinks and the hardware may be another story.

you can run flower bias all through if you want. i run a mix of 3000 and 3500k on both veg and flower rigs. you can get cobs as deep as a 2700k spec, but there's no need to go under 3000 in flower really.

veg bias would be 4000 / 4500k. some went as high as 6500k but that is getting really blue in a cob. 4000 - 4500k works just fine.

First, the makers of the Timber lights are now making lights under the brand name HighGrove.

Here's a link to their site. Our Story | Highgrove Lighting

Dan started Timber. My understanding is that they are still servicing Timber COBs.

Your light would not need new heat sinks. The COB itself can be switched out. The COBs are offered in color temps starting at 1750K - 4k.
Several companies sell far-red LED fixtures. Check out this link for some examples.

Deep Red / Far Red / IR Supplemental Lighting

That should get you what you want.

I have 3 different Timber Cobs. My main light is the Timber Fatty. It has 5 - 1750K, 2- 3K and 2- 4k COBS. The average color temp is 2525K.

Here's a couple of pics. These are autos done in RDWC

WS.1.jpg

first lighting. VS Fatty.jpg

RDWC.6wks.1.22.jpg

Auto Cherry Bomb.Coco.jpg

IMG_20200624_195523.jpg

First, the makers of the Timber lights are now making lights under the brand name HighGrove.

Dan started Timber. My understanding is that they are still servicing Timber COBs.

Your light would not need new heat sinks. The COB itself can be switched out. The COBs are offered in color temps starting at 1750K - 4k.
Several companies sell far-red LED fixtures. Check out this link for some examples.

I have 3 different Timber Cobs. My main light is the Timber Fatty. It has 5 - 1750K, 2- 3K and 2- 4k COBS. The average color temp is 2525K.

WS.1.jpg

RDWC.6wks.1.22.jpg

IMG_20200624_195523.jpg
Wow its nice to know I have a perfectly serviceable light. To be honest I haven't actually figured out which color temp the COBs are. I took a guess from the little Ive gleaned on the internet.Ill have to Google the numbers on the cobs themselves and see what i find.
Your garden looks fantastic! Those are some big autos. Do you bend them over to get that canopy?

WS.1.jpg

RDWC.6wks.1.22.jpg

IMG_20200624_195523.jpg

Wow its nice to know I have a perfectly serviceable light. To be honest I haven't actually figured out which color temp the COBs are. I took a guess from the little Ive gleaned on the internet.Ill have to Google the numbers on the cobs themselves and see what i find.
Your garden looks fantastic! Those are some big autos. Do you bend them over to get that canopy?

I only bend stalks if they get too leggy. Auto's don't like too much fussing.

It's easier to get bigger autos when running in hydro. Two buckets would fit in a 2x4 tent. I use Cultured Solutions for nutrients. It's a sterile line so root issues are usually a non-factor. It's easy to use and requires fewer water changes.
I finish them with only Flawless Finish for the final week to 10 days.

If your other light has a dimmer, you can run both lights at 1/2 to 3/4 power and have a pretty full spectrum.

sup all, in need of some help and im praying someone here has a solution.
does anyone know where i can find this circled in red? its the 1 to 3 adapter that connects 3 cobs to the driver.
timber has been out of business and im having a hard time finding this (or even the proper name of that type of wire).
i did pm raindan on RIU but he hasnt reached back to me yet.
any info for you guys will be very helpful. TIA

3 connector.png

any chance you have a better pic ?
none of the stuff they used was bespoke. a lot of the early connectors were actually from automotive apps.

that connector looks a bit more purposed. i'd try looking at suppliers like digi-key and mouser. most of the connectors i used when i built and sold rigs were available from those two.

cob wiring is pretty simple. if you have to you can bypass or wire in another connector that should work for you.

on another note it is really sad they closed shop. we are losing all the decent quality mfgrs to cheap chinese junk. the rigs i built and timber used to, had a minimum 10 yr lifespan. you won't see that in any of the crap we buy now.

any chance you have a better pic ?
none of the stuff they used was bespoke. a lot of the early connectors were actually from automotive apps.

that connector looks a bit more purposed. i'd try looking at suppliers like digi-key and mouser. most of the connectors i used when i built and sold rigs were available from those two.

cob wiring is pretty simple. if you have to you can bypass or wire in another connector that should work for you.

on another note it is really sad they closed shop. we are losing all the decent quality mfgrs to cheap chinese junk. the rigs i built and timber used to, had a minimum 10 yr lifespan. you won't see that in any of the crap we buy now.
thanks for the insight. i found this on amazon, but id need an electrician to put it together for me, and would much rather purchase it if i can find it.. but its this seen here on amazon. whats circled in red in that previous post is 3 male ends to 1 female end.
do you know what this connector is called? u are right about it being an automotive marine , etc.. connector.. im thinking something to do with 12v.

thanks for the insight. i found this on amazon, but id need an electrician to put it together for me, and would much rather purchase it if i can find it.. but its this seen here on amazon. whats circled in red in that previous post is 3 male ends to 1 female end.
do you know what this connector is called? u are right about it being an automotive marine , etc.. connector.. im thinking something to do with 12v.

they operate on milliamps. i'd need a much better pic to see if i could recognize it. near certain digi and mouser would have it, or at least something close. go have a look.

personally, if i couldn't find a direct replacement i'd just pull it all apart and build whole new rig. no matter what you do i'd keep everything. good luck.

16 awg is the wire gauge and those are also automotive app connectors. look for two pin 16 awg connectors at those suppliers.

sup all, in need of some help and im praying someone here has a solution.
does anyone know where i can find this circled in red? its the 1 to 3 adapter that connects 3 cobs to the driver.
timber has been out of business and im having a hard time finding this (or even the proper name of that type of wire).
i did pm raindan on RIU but he hasnt reached back to me yet.
any info for you guys will be very helpful. TIA

3 connector.png
Check with High Grove Lighting. They are the former manufacturers of Timber grow lights. Dan is the owner and he will know what is needed and may be able to provide it to you with instructions for installation.

Check with High Grove Lighting. They are the former manufacturers of Timber grow lights. Dan is the owner and he will know what is needed and may be able to provide it to you with instructions for installation.

sup johnny. i did reach out to him and he said
"Hello

I looked around the warehouse and cannot locate one. The gentleman who used to make those for us has retired. I will reach out to him and see if he has extra materials to build you one.

Thanks
Dan"

so with that said im thinking i will grab these Amazon.com and make it my self. i just need to know whats the best way to connect the 3 female ends to the male end

any 2 wire 16awg 1 to 3 y splitter should work there's piles of y splitters in different configurations.

51nHVO08-iL._AC_SX679_.jpg

that's the same thing in 1 to 4. dig-key, mouser and loads of other places have them. you can find it on amazon but it may be more expensive.

edit : you'll need 1 to 3 to match the driver output.

any 2 wire 16awg 1 to 3 y splitter should work there's piles of y splitters in different configurations.

51nHVO08-iL._AC_SX679_.jpg

that's the same thing in 1 to 4. dig-key, mouser and loads of other places have them. you can find it on amazon but it may be more expensive.

edit : you'll need 1 to 3 to match the driver output.
im going to buy this and the one i linked . cut the ends of this and splice the ones i need .

thanks bluter!!!

im going to buy this and the one i linked . cut the ends of this and splice the ones i need .

thanks bluter!!!

1 to 4 probably won't work. you need the same config as the old one or your cobs won't get the right voltage. cutting an end off doesn't send the extra voltage from the missing end to the other 3.

Back
Top Bottom