Time crunch: what should I do with my 7 plants

Im sure that some of you have seen my postings about preflowers, timings, and such.. and I’m starting to feel the pressure.
Today is day 42, the last day of week 6 in veg. I’ve got another two weeks before my plants have to be flipped (to allow me 12 weeks for flowering and drying).
My problem is, I still haven’t seen pistils on a single one and I’m growing reg seed... I would love to up pot this week (lord knows the plants would love it too).. but I only have space for 4 - 5 gal pots... thus I need to be sure I’m uppotting females.

What should I do so that I can transplant the females with adequate time for bounce back before flip to 12/12??

Edit: I believe the very latest I could wait to keep watching for preflowers is one more week. They need to have at the very least one week in their new containers before transition to flowering light schedule.. so I got 7 days to figure out who the ladies are.

Toss paper bags on one of the limbs for a 12/12 time. Hope she presents herself in that time frame.
That's the only thing that comes to my hazy mind.:ganjamon:

Toss paper bags on one of the limbs for a 12/12 time. Hope she presents herself in that time frame.
That's the only thing that comes to my hazy mind.:ganjamon:
So bizarre that you’re the first person to respond, I was just reading through your first bag seed grow. Great job on that by the way.

Regarding the paper bag idea - I think its a good idea, it’ll just be a struggle to time that out with my messed up work schedule. I can’t really put the bag on 6 hours before lights out cause I’m not home.. so I guess I can put the bag on right when the lights click off and then take it off 12 hours before lights go out again.. except some days i leave the house basically right at lights on and I’m gone until just a couple hours before lights out... hmmmm

That is pretty cool. It could have gone better. I did cross the finish line though.;)

Yeah, I guess stick around and see what the more experienced growers say.
They might have something more constructive to say. It does seem like a pain if you don't have unlimited free time.

That is pretty cool. It could have gone better. I did cross the finish line though.;)

Yeah, I guess stick around and see what the more experienced growers say.
They might have something more constructive to say. It does seem like a pain if you don't have unlimited free time.
I just have relatives that are going to be staying with us, end of May.. and while I don’t think they would do anything crazy, it would be best to have everything curing while they’re with us.

Do not repot them and/or repot all of them now. If that’s a 4x4 they will fit (not pretty). Flip now and then eliminate the males as they pop up. The relative intensity of the light isn’t really an issue for the first few weeks. It’s the light/dark that causes the changes.

:nomo:

Do not repot them and/or repot all of them now. If that’s a 4x4 they will fit (not pretty). Flip now and then eliminate the males as they pop up. The relative intensity of the light isn’t really an issue for the first few weeks. It’s the light/dark that causes the changes.

:nomo:
Could I flip for long enough to see a pistil or two, repot, then veg again until my set flip date? Or would that be too stressful?

Could I flip for long enough to see a pistil or two, repot, then veg again until my set flip date? Or would that be too stressful?

I would think you will stress them, but sure. It will probably delay flowering by the time it took to see who is who. I’m not sure what you gain, or what you are waiting for. You can flip your lights now. Are you training these into a specific shape or size before flowering?

If you repot them all now and start flowering, the worst thing that will happen is you will have to choose which ones to eliminate if less than 3 are male.

I would think you will stress them, but sure. It will probably delay flowering by the time it took to see who is who. I’m not sure what you gain, or what you are waiting for. You can flip your lights now. Are you training these into a specific shape or size before flowering?

If you repot them all now and start flowering, the worst thing that will happen is you will have to choose which ones to eliminate if less than 3 are male.
My issue with repotting them all, I’ve only got the soil and pots for four plants.. hence wanting to flip then repot and veg, that way the females get the largest space possible for roots. ideally I would get them to 1 sqft canopy and 1 ft tall before the flip (or March 1st). They are all trained in various ways; they’re all LSTd, I’ve got one that’s fimmed, a couple are topped, and one is in a flux.
In summation; I can’t repot them all cause I’ve only got pots, soil, and space for four big pots; I don’t want to flip in the containers they’re in cause their containers are definitely already filled out with roots and that would be transplanting in flower, Hence the revert back to 18/6, but that may just cause more problems than it solves

Unfortunately I think the most reasonable solution may be to transplant during the first week of flower... how detrimental will that be to my yield? Should I try to avoid doing that at all costs? I.e. transplant the ones that seem like they’re female, now. (The bushier, stouter ones with crossing stipules and didn’t have any preflowers coming out until week ~5).

Of course, I have my hunch about who’s who.. i just don’t have a ton of experience and am afraid of being dead wrong on my presumptions

Not to me; it doesn't in this picture. There is a lot of pressure on your shoulders. Hopefully it doesn't trickle on to your plants by making a questionable call.

Let me rephrase that. It is a few hours too early yet to know.

I'd go with @Virgin ground's paper bag idea-as long as the dark period is at least 12 hours,you should see results.If you end up leaving the bags on longer than 12,say 16 or 18 hrs,it won't hurt anything.

Alright those of you who care to know what happened, early in the month when primordias starting coming out on all of them, I had a hunch that one plant was male (the one in the picture). Then a couple weeks later one of my favorite plants starting putting out primordias that looked totally different in shape. I was absolutely convinced it was a female, so I transplanted it. Then I got scared cause no pistils were showing 2-2.5 weeks later. (Hence this thread)
I gave them 36 hours of dark to speed up the process of revealing preflowers, no definitive news so far, except for pistils on the uppotted girl!!

Woooooo!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

That was quite the relief.

So I got a new question; I’m three days into 12/12. In the next week or so, I should know all the sexes. As long as I’m very careful not to disturb the roots, can I up pot without significantly hurting my yield?

Still a hard choice to make, always sucks to end one of your girls

Back
Top Bottom