Topping an auto

Dreadedknot

Debating on whether to top/fim a blueberry amnesia auto. She's sending up the 4th node now. I've read conflicting opinions and results, think I'm down to try it. My question is, should I feed nutes soon after or wait for signs of recovery? Shes due to be fed in a couple of days. Want to get the timing right.

Hey buddy I've done a lot of topping autos. We all have different opinions on the matter but personally I find if the 4th node is in by day 17 your good to chop it off and it won't slow them down. If your still on 3 nodes by day 17 then it's not growing fast enough and should not be topped. Gotta have them going at full tilt to know it's gonna be a benefit.
If they're growing too slowly then you might not have time to recover before they bloom. In which case you'll massively hurt the yield.
Get the 4th off as soon as you can fit the scissors under it though
Day 17 or before and they shouldn't even notice. The smaller it is when you cut it the less damage you cause.

You can also get very similar results from only doing LST but I just think it's easier to grow a topped plant because they're symmetrical.
Don't like fighting with the main cola all the time so I just cut it off.

Oh and always check the expected age out first. If it says 60 days or less I'd leave them well alone. Anything 70days+ or labelled L-XXL should be able to handle anything you throw at it.
The 2 month pocket rockets should be treated fairly gently though as they'll hit bloom a lot sooner. Day 25 n shit so that's no good if you've just cut half the plant off

Is there anything I should do to the cut site? Dab of honey or spritz of something.
Nah just leave it mate. Long as she's growing properly and not a particularly fast finisher there's little to no risk. Just chop it off and watch in awe as the 4 of the 6 branches underneath turn into main colas. The bottom 2 are pretty useless but they'll still throw buds out :)
Plant the top into something too and it'll grow like a tiny little 6inch tall bud if it manages to root up in time :) fairpy pointless but its fun and you get a decent blunt at the end of it lol:)

Thanks for the help folks!
So the deed is done. Opted to fim them. 8 hours later looking good.
Lol, nibbled on the tops, they smelled good. Didn't think about planting them since fimming didnt leave me with an intact top.
Working on getting past my paranoia to post pics:nervous-guy:

Lol, nibbled on the tops, they smelled good. Didn't think about planting them since fimming didnt leave me with an intact top.

plants should be all good

Don't be para mate. If you think for one second the FBI or any of the very few other agencies that could actually hack this site. then hack your picture to get your IP address then hack that, then your service provider to find out who you are in order to arrest you for growing a couple of plants then you probably shouldn't be smoking it lol.
There's not many people in the world qualified to do all that mate and the ones that are certainly don't have time to waste going through all that hassle to arrest us for a couple of plants that will only get us a £300 fine.
If you start supplying half the states then yeah, they might send the mod squad on you but untill such a time I wouldn't worry mate. Send your tinfoil hat over here though and I'll keep it safe in the drawer with the one I made when I learned about chemtrails lol:)

Think that would be a new record for what I've seen. Sure 23 days the fastest I've seen someone throw pistils.
Fastest I can remember anyway.

yes i am assuming he saw preflowers and assumed the plant was flowering.
topping the plant isnt that big of a deal regardless, just top at 4th or 5th node so it has enough leaves to continue growing at a good pace.

anyone who said topping stunted their auto probably had alot more going on with the plant, kinda like the whole “need to flush my plants” crew

yes i am assuming he saw preflowers and assumed the plant was flowering.
topping the plant isnt that big of a deal regardless, just top at 4th or 5th node so it has enough leaves to continue growing at a good pace.

anyone who said topping stunted their auto probably had alot more going on with the plant, kinda like the whole “need to flush my plants” crew
Hmm yes and no I think. Generally yes, there probably is something else going on that's causing slow growth to start with which would make them unable to handle a topping but I have had a couple strains that just didn't like it. Big bud auto the only one I can remember but sure I had at least one more that was growing fine but just didn't like it.

Debating on whether to top/fim a blueberry amnesia auto. She's sending up the 4th node now. I've read conflicting opinions and results, think I'm down to try it. My question is, should I feed nutes soon after or wait for signs of recovery? Shes due to be fed in a couple of days. Want to get the timing right.
I always top my autos at 4-5th node... “topping an auto is bad”... is a myth.
Basically the only difference between growing an auto vs photo period plant is...
- your light schedule... an auto will flower in a set number of days no matter what.
- you can Veg a photo period plant to the size you wish, keep it in Veg as long as you like... then make it Flower when you choose.
As far as feeding, in soil or coco... I feed mine daily to every other day. I simply pick up the container and “feel” her weight. I feed my plants autos/photos no matter what I do to them, anytime I feel they need food!
An auto will NOT wait for YOU... I even feed the seed as soon as soon as it goes into a solo cup, cube, soil or coco.
I have never given just plain water to a seed... EVER. I have used bottled nutes for years, but now only use one brand of nutrients. They love what I give them, and the simplicity over the bottles... priceless.
The plant herself tells me when and if she is hungry.
Hope this helps.✌

Back
Top Bottom