Total rookie looking for help

You'll have to get bigger lights to Veg them out if you're planning on a 6 foot cupboard growing space. Look into something like this for that if you don't want to buy a Metal Halide...

81pNBU1HKDL_SL1500_.jpg

i have a big light, i didnt have one small enough for the early stages but all sorted now.

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for being so helpful. i greatly appreciate all your help. :thumb:

the seeds have successfully germinated (a lot quicker than i expected but i cant complain about that) using paper towels in a tupperware box on top of a radiator cover. i have put them in the rapid rooters and misted them lightly with a spray gun and PH'd water.

i will have to pull an all nighter to get the cupboard finished for them due to them being ready so quick.

does anyone know when i should put them under the lights?

thanks again everyone.

i read on a post on here that air circulation is really important for making the stem strong, i have a fan in the cupboard and just wanted to know when i should start using it and whether i am supposed to point it directly at them from a distance or if i should have pointing above them or something? thanks

Air circulation is very important. Remember you are trying to mimic the outdoors. It will help to strengthen the stems and also replace the CO2. You can start the fan now just don't let it blow them over.

Also feel free to come by my journal. I am just starting back up inside, I have some clones that are just starting out. There are alot of good people/growers that could help alot.
It's the one on the bottom, not dead yet.

hi guys. been busy with my first grow thanks to everyone's help on here. this is the furthest i have gotten, so would like to thank you all for helping me get this far. so anyway...

the last couple of days my plant has shown signs of under watering towards the end of the 18 hour cycle even though my pump is on full. just wondered if this is a sign that they are ready for the flowering stage?

if so does anyone know the best way of changing the water over to the one with the blooming nutrients instead of the growing nutrients?

thanks

if so does anyone know the best way of changing the water over to the one with the blooming nutrients instead of the growing nutrients?

Did you get a wee bit garden hose with the NFT kit?

Switch off the pump in the tank, remove the tube, attach the end of the hose with the plastic fitting to the pump, put the other end of the hose in a bucket and switch pump back on to pump the old solution out.

I like to have my new nutrient solution made up before I remove the old solution. Also, buying a spare pump (£13) saves having to take the feeder tube out the pump that feeds you plant.....it's easier to flush if you have a spare pump that you can drop into your tank just when needed.

PS. I use cool boxes to mix my solution in.....a 20L cool box is the same size as my 20L NFT tanks. I use camping water carriers to fill the cool boxes close to where I need them as once full they are not very portable. Folks say tap water should be left for 24hrs so the chlorine can evaporate and the pH goes down a bit, then mix your nutes just before using.

Did you get a wee bit garden hose with the NFT kit?

Switch off the pump in the tank, remove the tube, attach the end of the hose with the plastic fitting to the pump, put the other end of the hose in a bucket and switch pump back on to pump the old solution out.

I like to have my new nutrient solution made up before I remove the old solution. Also, buying a spare pump (£13) saves having to take the feeder tube out the pump that feeds you plant.....it's easier to flush if you have a spare pump that you can drop into your tank just when needed.

PS. I use cool boxes to mix my solution in.....a 20L cool box is the same size as my 20L NFT tanks. I use camping water carriers to fill the cool boxes close to where I need them as once full they are not very portable. Folks say tap water should be left for 24hrs so the chlorine can evaporate and the pH goes down a bit, then mix your nutes just before using.

thanks. i did wonder what that hose was for. all sorted now. i assume i will do the same again when i need to go nutrient free before harvesting. i was wondering how i will know when it is a week before its time to harvest though. any ideas?

Hey there buddie just scrolling through thought i might chime in. Im a newbie as well but i hope i might be able to help a bit. I know the damp towel method works well for many people but never worked well for me. i use a clear solo cup which i add room temperature tap water then i add a few drops of hydrogen poroxide then i store in a dark dry space usually a cabinet in the kitchen i rarely open. Ive had 100% success rate with that so will be sticking with that. Sounds to me that your doing a hydro grow which i have no experience with but still maybe can help. Now about your light i started my seedlings on florescent lights which i will be switching to an hid during veg.if you are using a 1000w bulb you might be doing too much n its just gonna be an overkill on your plants what is your temp when lights are on? what is your humidity level. i would say best temp would be between 75 and 85 degrees dont know what that is in celcius. also get a spray bottle so you can mist your babies to ensure they stay moist but not soking wet. hope that helps again im a newbie so hope more experinced people can help.

Hey there buddie just scrolling through thought i might chime in. Im a newbie as well but i hope i might be able to help a bit. I know the damp towel method works well for many people but never worked well for me. i use a clear solo cup which i add room temperature tap water then i add a few drops of hydrogen poroxide then i store in a dark dry space usually a cabinet in the kitchen i rarely open. Ive had 100% success rate with that so will be sticking with that. Sounds to me that your doing a hydro grow which i have no experience with but still maybe can help. Now about your light i started my seedlings on florescent lights which i will be switching to an hid during veg.if you are using a 1000w bulb you might be doing too much n its just gonna be an overkill on your plants what is your temp when lights are on? what is your humidity level. i would say best temp would be between 75 and 85 degrees dont know what that is in celcius. also get a spray bottle so you can mist your babies to ensure they stay moist but not soking wet. hope that helps again im a newbie so hope more experinced people can help.

thanks. have managed to get through the early stages now. just unsure as to when to go nutrient free now.

i tried using a spray bottle in my previous grow but it ended up burning little spots on the leaves so didnt bother with it thiis time round. seemed to go okay in the end but ended up manually watering them for a while but that was due to an error on my part but it tought me a few things.

fingers crossed i should have finished my first successful grow in a couple of weeks.

People use different methods to judge harvest time. The oldschool way would be when the pistols are mostly brown and start receding in.
A more accurate way to judge is to get a handheld microscope. I use a 30-60× it was cheap. Depending on the effect you want you harvest according to the trichromes. Here is a pic looking through the scope.
20150909_174322.jpg

If you look at the tops of the trichs you can see these all have an amber tint to them. They start out clear, then cloudy, then they turn amber. Harvesting when clear/cloudy will give you an "up" high while cloudy/amber will give you more of a "couchlock"

People use different methods to judge harvest time. The oldschool way would be when the pistols are mostly brown and start receding in.
A more accurate way to judge is to get a handheld microscope. I use a 30-60× it was cheap. Depending on the effect you want you harvest according to the trichromes. Here is a pic looking through the scope.
20150909_174322.jpg

If you look at the tops of the trichs you can see these all have an amber tint to them. They start out clear, then cloudy, then they turn amber. Harvesting when clear/cloudy will give you an "up" high while cloudy/amber will give you more of a "couchlock"

thanks. i think i will be planning to do the old school method. im only going to be doing a small amount every now and then, so dont think i could justify buying a microscope and stuff as it wouldnt get used enough.

i am just at the stage of trying to figure out genders at the moment but am still not sure yet. i read a lot of posts on this site at each stage to help figure out what im doing.

was just not sure how to tell when to go nutrient free. i couldnt find anything on that. i read that i need to go nutrient free a week or so before the end so it doesnt affect the taste, i just dont know when that is.

Back
Top Bottom