Trans instruments nutrients ppm tester question

max budz

Im not sure if this is where i should post this, if not please tell me where to put it. . . but anyways i just got a trans instruments hydroponics nutrients tester. ( HortiCare Nutrient Check PPM ) the problem is is that this is for testing the nutrients in the water of a hydro system, and i want to test the nutrients in the soil of my soil garden, so my question is can i test the run-off water and get an accurate reading or is there another way to use this to get a good PPM reading on my nutrients? or am i out the 60 bucks i payed for the thing? hopefully this will makes sense to someone and they can help me? any input will be appreciated, thanks.

Honestly testing the ppm of your soil really is not going to do much good. PH is much more important, but all depends if you are growing organic, or if you are using synthetic fertz.

The only use I have found testing run-off ppm is to help monitor how much salt build up is being flushed out... more of just a "check" that I look at here and there, but nothing that even phases me when I am mixing nutrients and such... I grow organic so my feeding techniques are a little different, but checking ppm mainly is important if you are a hydro grower, and more of just a useful tool to monitor your feedings if you are in soil, but not a necessity.

IF you are checking your nutrient feedings generally your feedings should never exceed 1200ppm, and that only would be in late flower, usually you want to ramp up your feedings staring very low at clone/seedling phase at 100-300ppm, mid veg you should be anywhere from 300-600, late veg early flower 600-1000, late flower should be around 1000ppm, and flush week or 2 should be no added fertz...lowest ppm you can get out of your water :)

Soil PH is much more important than ppm. If you want to "test the nutrients in your soil" as you put it, it costs about 50-100$ and you send a soil sample off to a lab, and they will tell you exactly what is in your soil...That is the only proper way to "know" what's in your soil :)

Back
Top Bottom