Tropf blumat Maxi carrot set up

seaofgreen18

1000000133.jpg

First start by soaking the carrots in a bucket of water fully submerged cap and all for @ least 15 minutes. Whilst they soak water your pots or bed to field capacity about 80 mb soil tension that's the bottom of the scale (wet soil)

IMG20231118065738.jpg

After soaking carrots purge out the air in the caps with a small eye dropper (optional) keep caps submerged.
Screw cap onto carrot keeping both cap and carrot submerged.
Insert carrot into position in the container keep the drippers, drip tube ,soaker hose or drip ring within 3" of carrot.
Connect water supply and purge air out of lines. Once the air is removed from feed lines turn the carrot adjustment screw to hold one drip on the dripper hose from carrot,then close another 1/4 turn recheck container moisture to be sure you are @ field capacity and give it a couple days then recheck moisture level again so this for the next week or 2 until you tweek in your carrots to get the perfect consistent moisture level.
Mine work pretty good the have auto carrots on the market now to simplify the set up.
These are nice when you have a busy schedule and can check on things on a consistent level.
There are a few draw backs to these as well but once you figure it out they are worth the investment ✌️

I tried the smaller ones and didn't have great success with them. They're not adjustable though like your's are so I'd imagine they'd work better as you can dial in the moisture draw.

With the smaller ones, they siphon water from a central container at a set rate depending on the height difference between water level and the top of the soil, the greater the difference the faster the flow, but that changes as the water level does. For larger plants I used more carrots but could never find a happy medium.

Looking forward to your results. :thumb:

I tried the smaller ones and didn't have great success with them. They're not adjustable though like your's are so I'd imagine they'd work better as you can dial in the moisture draw.

With the smaller ones, they siphon water from a central container at a set rate depending on the height difference between water level and the top of the soil, the greater the difference the faster the flow, but that changes as the water level does. For larger plants I used more carrots but could never find a happy medium.

Looking forward to your results. :thumb:
Yeah they take some messing with I have the short ones as well but I like the maxi carrots better ,gets down to the rhizosphere!
It's better if you run on a constant water supply with a pressure regulator inline like you say with a gravity feed system you need to keep the bucket at the same fill level to keep the pressure I put a float in the bucket with a water line hooked up so it filled by itself it works good I have 2 Blu mat tension meters dedicated to the bed I leave them in all the time

Looking forward to your results. :thumb:. What's nice about them if you have worms in there they always have a water source

Sustainable village would help you on a Blu mat set up if you decide to start using them again they are REALLY GOOD folks to work with ✌️
Thanks, but I've moved on to SIPs and now can't imagine growing with anything else. Same constant moisture environment for the plant but all in a self contained pot.

😎 same with me I like that raised bed with the living soil I get a soil test at the start of the run add a small amount of amendment and castings per test I get the analysis from KIS and Brandon tells me exactly what I need to amend and it's off to the races and usually he's right on the money with amounts and specific amendment it's a good gig Quality and yield is ALWAYS good with no guessing since I've been doing it that way it's consistent and less costly than guessing with minimal work

If you notice the 41 mb on the meter it's well over field capacity so once it reaches 80 mb I'll have the carrot hold 1 drop on the end of hose 80 to 120 mb is a good soil pressure up to 150 is fine but it's getting dry.
You know I put a bunch of worm in there 3 + year's ago and I'm still seeing a BUNCH! Some come from the cacoons in my home grown castings
I LIKE IT!!! Getting ready to do a soil test for the 2 beans I started yesterday!
Wish me luck!😁!

IMG20231119081210.jpg

IMG20231119081053.jpg

IMG20231119081139.jpg

Without the activity of the microbes the organic inputs that are in there won't get converted into usable food for the plants which might give me an inaccurate reading on the test after it does get converted beside you want to test your soil in actual growing conditions or close anyways moisture and temp wise and take about 6-8 random samples about 6" down.
It's worth it to me to spend the $90 on a test and analysis.
That way I know where I'm at in the soil for nuts and heavy metals in my soil

Back
Top Bottom