Unexpected Virgin Bag Seed Grow - 2014

OldnTired

History
I'm a middle-aged guy that used to smoke MJ when I was quite a bit younger. As age wears away the machine, I thought about trying MJ as medication. The results are good, I can do things that I was unable to do prior to smoking MJ.
About a year ago I purchased a quarter that was very good smoke but had quite a few seeds. I just stored the seeds into a container and forgot about them. Recently I cleaned out my desk and found the seeds, I decided to toss these bag-seeds into a soaked paper towel and see what happens. Well quite a few seeds germinated which caught me off guard as I didn't expect anything from them. So I used some left-over soil and planted the seeds into seed starters and decided I might as well see what happens.

What Happened.
I now have 28 plants of unknown strain! (bag-seed) all growing like weeds, no pun intended.
after doing a little research on 420 and other sites I created a 6'x2'x6.5' (LWH) growing space. I have quite a few 4' T8 fixtures with the daylight bulbs (6500K) on-hand, I strung 4 units together total of 8 bulbs @32watts each.
I tossed in 4x 100w CFL bulbs for good measure and to get some light to the plants outside of the T8's.
Now the space is limited for the amount of plants that I did not expect to be growing but here I am.

Cost
Light fixtures — supplies on hand
Light bulbs — supplies on hand and 4x 100w CFL @ 7.00ea.
Timer — on-hand (car block heater timer)
Power bars — on-hand
Planting Supplies — Lime, Perlite, 1g pots all less than 40.00.
White paint for grow closed — on-hand
I really only had to purchase the goods needed to get the seeds into the soil.

June 16th exactly 1 week after replanting. Pics.
Plants are on a 19/5 light schedule.
Temp Hi 60s at night to low 70s during the day.
Humidity : 70%
I used some Home Depot MG soil that I had on-hand, not the best choice as I later found out but I mixed it 50/50 with organic soil and added some dolomite lime and Perlite. Measured PH is natural.
I water when to top of the soil is dry.
So far the results are promising. I intend to fill the pots with more soil as the plants grow. This is all very new for me, the only reason I decided to try this is because my supply of MJ is very sporadic.

Pots are ~1gal each but I had to double up on the plants per pot, is that bad?
I have 2 x 120mm fans (old server fans, read loud) drawing air into the closet but at the moment nothing venting out, heat is not an issue but smell is (for me anyway), even at this stage.
How soon should I be looking for males?
I want to get seeds for more growing therefore I need to pollinate 1 plant or should I just purchase some good seeds online?
I'm not sure if I want SOG or ScrOG...
I might be in a little over my head but maybe with some help I won't drown.
Is it possible to tell what strain these plants are at this young stage?
So what could I do better, what am I doing right? What am I doing wrong?
So many terms I have read, LST, FIM, Topping etc.

DSCF000166.JPG
DSCF000270.JPG
DSCF000367.JPG
DSCF000461.JPG
DSCF000564.JPG
DSCF000658.JPG
DSCF000756.JPG
DSCF000845.JPG
DSCF000942.JPG

All plants were the size (or smaller) of the medium sized plant in this photo before replanting.
DSCF001043.JPG

I have more T8 fixtures that I thought about mounting vertically and using the 3200K bulbs when I switch to 12/12.
A question I forgot to ask: What is flushing?

Weekly update #2, June 22 2014

I thought I would give a little more detail on the soil used.
Miracle Grow enriched Potting Mix .14-.14-.14 (big box store)
Generic garden soil, instructions say to mix 4 to 1 with existing soil. (big box store)
CIL Crushed Dolomite Lime. (big box store)
Perlite. (big box store)
I mixed 50/50 MG with garden soil, then added Perlite and a sprinkle of lime. Tested the PH to be neutral.
When watering, I have used rain barrel water exclusively. (no nutes)

I’m thinking at least another 2 or 3 weeks in veg before flipping to 12/12. I’m not going to LST/TOP or FIM these plants, they will be left natural. My reasoning behind this is because my grow space is limited and I could end up without enough room for all these plants.
My best case scenario would be every pot has 1m and 1f this would allow me to cut the males from each pot except for 1 pot that I will let bloom together for seed production.
Worst case scenario every plant is female and I will have to kill some plants.
I plan to replant into 5 or 3 gallon buckets after flipping to 12/12 and sex is determined. I’m just going to cut the bottoms from these dollar store pots and place the whole thing into the bucket.

Lights are about 6” from tops of plants, mounted in standard 2 blub fixtures. I found some T8 receptacles that will allow me to make my own fixture and get more bulbs into the grow space. Something I will be doing when switching to 12/12.

Some pics.

DSCF000167.JPG

DSCF000271.JPG

DSCF000368.JPG

DSCF000565.JPG

DSCF000659.JPG

DSCF000757.JPG

DSCF000846.JPG

DSCF000943.JPG

DSCF001235.JPG

DSCF001137.JPG

DSCF001044.JPG

well man...I like what your doin..wont be giving advice as I am in a similar situation, only 1 seed..i started my journal today..wish you the best of luck and keep us posted gonna follow ya

A note on lighting.
I purchased 2 x 35W 2700K LED GU10 bulbs (big box store @ $8.00ea), I'm going to add these to 1 pot along with the CFL 100W 6500K bulb that is consentrated on that pot. Just a test to see if the mixed values 2700K/6500K help in this stage.
I like experimenting. :)

A quick question, the color of the plant's leaves are very green under the 6500K lights but with the mix of 2700K and 6500K lights the leaves have a greenish/brown color, is this normal?

Another week another update.
I topped off all pots with the same mix they were planted in. (This was a PITA to do, learned something here)
3 weeks in 19/5 I think more lumens will be in order. I'm looking at HPS for flower or just use the T8s I have. (I have a pile of 2700K bulbs as well) As well I'm going to make a second area where I can continue to veg some of the smaller plants.

Biggest plant.
IMG_071921.JPG

Misc Pic.
IMG_071628.JPG

Misc Pic.
IMG_071529.JPG

Misc Pic.
IMG_071425.JPG

Altogether now.
IMG_071322.JPG

IMG_071222.JPG

Nice grow OldnTired :high-five: :goodjob:

I am on my first grow as well. I am using cfl as well and the changing of yellow/brown I have seen as well and should be okay...it is just the 2700k bulbs you added. I only have on plant and she has been in 12/12 for 12 days now and I have added bulbs and now have a total on 24 23w=100 bulbs, half 2700k and half 6500K. Check out my journal :)

I will follow your thread here and maybe we can learn from each other experiences. Have a great day...and remember it is just a weed and it is tough as nails

knots

thanks knotspeeds, I really didn't know what to expect when I started this, both of my thumbs are anything but green.
However reading all the grow journals, has enlightened me and just maybe I can pull this off.
I'm starting to think about my next grow and what strain would work best for my symptoms. I’m curious as to the store bought seeds and what happens when you pay 10.00ea for a seed and it does not germinate, do they have some sort of guarantee that all seeds will germinate?

thanks knotspeeds, I really didn't know what to expect when I started this, both of my thumbs are anything but green.
However reading all the grow journals, has enlightened me and just maybe I can pull this off.
I'm starting to think about my next grow and what strain would work best for my symptoms. I’m curious as to the store bought seeds and what happens when you pay 10.00ea for a seed and it does not germinate, do they have some sort of guarantee that all seeds will germinate?

I was the same, didn't know what I was doing or what to expect. I have had a many problems but just remember, (someone told me this a few weeks ago), "it just a weed" and they are stronger than you think and if you give it all you got...it will survive!

I started out with store bought seeds and they all have popped, but I over water some of them and they died. I have over fertilized and have nutrient lock and they are still growing. As for a guarantee, i would say look on the web site and see what they say in the FAQ. Just when you see something going sideways take some pictures and post them and friends will be there to help you out...it is amazing the help you will get off this site. I will help as much as I can but there are many people here that know way more than I do and they have responded FAST!.

keep up the great job and I will be watching :) peace out dude

knots

I inspected some of the larger plants tonight and I found balls, only on one plant so far.
I have not changed my lighting yet? I had not planned to change for another week maybe 2. I have no idea what strain I'm growing so maybe the is normal.
How soon should I cull this plant?
Time under 19/5 ~3w3d

Male Plant.

IMG_072120.JPG

IMG_072228.JPG

Biggest Plant.

IMG_072425.JPG

IMG_072629.JPG

IMG_072824.JPG

They are looking great for a first grow! Especially when considering they're bagseed at that.
You sure do want to cull those males.
Keep it hazy,
Duncan

Could these be some Auto-flowering strain? Should I be changing the light to 12/12?
I guess the consensus is to chop the boys ASAP!
More Pics of the girls.

IMG_073229.JPG
IMG_073124.JPG

IMG_073025.JPG
IMG_072930.JPG

i wonder what percentage of growers start out from bag seed? i know i did. it's the most logical way. you're young and still buying weed. you come by a few (or many) seeds and you think to yourself "i'm going to plant these and grow my own". and bam! you start on a wonderful journey and life is never the same again. ahhh growing hehe

Update:
All remaining plants are doing well. I think there might be 1 more boy left, I should know in a day or two.
It just so happens there is a Male and Female in the same pot, I'm leaving them together in the hopes I can get some seeds.
I just don't understand why these plants are showing their sex without switching to 12/12?
I'm glad as this makes caring for the garden a little easier.(by removing the boys sooner than I had figured to)
The grow space is not as crowded any more.
All the leaves are green and healthy and I'm a "if its not broke don't fix it" kind of person.
So what is my next move?
Do I switch to 12/12 with 2700K lighting or just keep the current course?
Could these plants be an auto-flowering strain?

Hey! Nice journal so far. If you can, any that are still doubled up need to be separated into their own pots. Eventually the stronger plant will overtake the other and kill it. The one with the male and female would be ok but you need to put that pot somewhere far far away from the rest of your ladies. When the pollen falls it will contaminate all all your ladies and give you seeds on every plant. Like choose another room and when you mess with the boys go shower and change before touching the ladies.

As to showing sex, these could just be preflowers or an auto strain. Keep them on the light schedule you have for now. You don't have to switch to 12/12 for autos.

Back
Top Bottom