UV or not UV that is the question

billyran

I just harvested my first plants from under an HLG 650r with the optional UV bar , and there is a definite difference in THC production.
I may add a couple more UV bars to my other lights.

I would think with the very little UV that comes out of them LED UV bar it might be better to add AgroMax Pure UV T5 bulb that puts out 75% UV-B, 25% UV-A and get way way more UV for a fraction of the cost. Worried about power use, then put on timer for 2-4 hours only. Just a idea from a fellow home grower on a budget
:passitleft:

That could have been the UV, true.
But it also could have been genetics, growing conditions, feeding regimen, the moon over Virgo, or a host of other variables :laughtwo:
A test of clones off the same mother, one grown with UV and one without would really give you validation that your theory is correct.
Although it seems there is enough anecdotal evidence out there that UV does indeed enhance potency

I have some research I'll dig up, as I have been researching UV lighting and will try to provide links but basically the research says there is an increase in both thc and terpenes by using uv light toward the end of flowering, even a minimal amount will increase the levels. I'm running uv for a full cycle (12hrs) once a week currently, I'm 5 or 6 weeks into flowering and starting bud swell and thc production. This week I will probably hit them more frequently as I near harvest. I went with a full cycle each time only because I'm too cheap to buy another timer, otherwise I would probably only do a half day at the same frequency. UV needs to be thought in a different way vs as a supplemental light. UV only works because it basically gives the plant sunburn and the plants response is to increase it's sunscreen production, in this case, trichomes and essential oils.

Correct, the UV radiation damages the plant cells and the plants response is to increase thc and terpene production.

As promised here is a link to more information you will ever want to know about UV radiation and plants that I had found helpful. It's a Google book you can preview, you can also buy a hardcopy. There is a website specifically for UV radiation and growing called UV4Plants that is also helpful but not necessarily marijuana related. Some additional information I found was when searching for an LED that provided both UVb (this is rare, most LEDs only provide UVa by design) and UVa radiation, which was from AgricUltra and their MetaRail system. UVb radiation might be the powerhouse when it comes to boosting thc and terpene production but without some UVa as a catalyst the results won't be as great as they can be. UVa doesn't do much for thc production but does do a little for terpene production. UVa really shines when it comes to making stronger plants and can be periodically used throughout an entire grow to "beef up" your plants, making them stronger and healthier. Also deep or royal blue lighting has a similar supplemental catalytic affect to UVa radiation as UVa does to UVb.

Note how I say radiation and not lighting when talking about UV, it needs to be reminded and remembered that this is radiation, it can and will be harmful to you. Limit your exposure to UVR and wear appropriate PPE (sunglasses and no exposed skin) when you cannot avoid exposure to UVR.

UVC is bad for you think of C for cancer A and B not so much. Diodes put out a tinny amount of UV they do best with IR. The amount of money LED companies charge for what they call UV lights is a joke. If your looking to boost UV in your grow to gain for trichomes and terps then just buy UV T5 that cost a quarter or less and add 10x more then any LED can. To add too a comment about it stressing the plant, not really it just makes the plant provide more sunblock aka thichomes to help reflect the UVB in turn the THC levels rise. What you add indoors they deal with outdoors. Many test have been done and have showed cannabis grown in high altitude regions had more THC hints more UVB. I have done this my self many times, I took a clone from a train wreck I have had sense the 90's that I re mother every year she tested around 17% every time then added UVB for a grow and she hit 20-21%. To to each his own on how you want to grow.

To help find more info about UV light... you can also look up UVR8 receptor.

Also, UV-A light, contrary to popular belief actually also supports Photosynthesis. Prior to this research it was generally believed plants only used wavelengths between 400-700nm, however, more current research shows plants actually can use as low as 380nm light for photosynthesis as well.

UV-B typically is the group of UV wavelengths that are known to trigger trichome production.

UV-C is typically not useful for plants, however is very useful for disinfecting surfaces and for use in HVAC systems to kill mold, bacteria and viruses. Some companies market UV-C for plant IPM, however I would probably be careful with this claim and further research in this area is needed.

All UV light is harmful to humans (and plants), but like everything moderation is the key. Always wear UV eye protection when working around UV light as well as all high intensity blue light.

Hope this is helpful.

I would think with the very little UV that comes out of them LED UV bar it might be better to add AgroMax Pure UV T5 bulb that puts out 75% UV-B, 25% UV-A and get way way more UV for a fraction of the cost. Worried about power use, then put on timer for 2-4 hours only. Just a idea from a fellow home grower on a budget
:passitleft:
I'm thinking of adding some of those florescent AgroMax bulbs in my 5x5 tent. I'm already using 1000 watts of HPS and close to 500 watts LED in the form of 4 "600 watt" WAKYME LED lights- actual wattage 115-125 watts each. Would 4 4 foot AgroMax UV bulbs be overkill? The LED lights do have one UV chip but I'm assuming it's not enough to boost THC production, but I'm no expert...

20201207_152531.jpg

I'm thinking of adding some of those florescent AgroMax bulbs in my 5x5 tent. I'm already using 1000 watts of HPS and close to 500 watts LED in the form of 4 "600 watt" WAKYME LED lights- actual wattage 115-125 watts each. Would 4 4 foot AgroMax UV bulbs be overkill? The LED lights do have one UV chip but I'm assuming it's not enough to boost THC production, but I'm no expert...

1 hour a day should be fine. It is adding a spectrum that is lacking not adding what is at good amount

Back
Top Bottom