When is it time to start thinning your plants?

Bgose

420 Member
These plants are 5 weeks into veg..
When is a good time to start thinning the leaves?

2777798E-46BF-44E1-A4E5-42A8AC56B010.jpeg

A13369C3-4997-45B1-9B5E-BFFB35C95BAE.jpeg

4DC065BF-5A3F-403E-A9E6-45D149D7F2A2.jpeg

These plants are 5 weeks into veg..
When is a good time to start thinning the leaves?

2777798E-46BF-44E1-A4E5-42A8AC56B010.jpeg

A13369C3-4997-45B1-9B5E-BFFB35C95BAE.jpeg

4DC065BF-5A3F-403E-A9E6-45D149D7F2A2.jpeg
Hey @Bgose beautiful garden you have. Lots of people defoliate their girls if they get that bushy. I personally don't pluck leaves except just before going into flower. I'll trim below the light level, then again after stretch. Other than those two times I let her be. Happy growing friend.

Generally one defoliates in week 4 of veg - then before 12/12 cycle = then in week 4 of flower. Remember in veg you really "shape" your plant getttin it realy for flower - you defoliated before flower cycle to remove leaves that cover bud sites - THEN oin week 4 of flower remove all fan leaves (the plant has no use for them them at this stage) More light = More buds

Generally one defoliates in week 4 of veg - then before 12/12 cycle = then in week 4 of flower. Remember in veg you really "shape" your plant getttin it realy for flower - you defoliated before flower cycle to remove leaves that cover bud sites - THEN oin week 4 of flower remove all fan leaves (the plant has no use for them them at this stage) More light = More buds
Some growers will disagree with the plants not needing the fan leaves after week 4.

Those leaves are still going through photosynthesis and producing the sugars, etc that keep the plant fed. Plus they are the storehouses for much of the macro and micro nutrients. When the flowering stage demands more phosphorous and potassium for flower growth than the plant can pull from the soil or soil-less growing mix it will start to absorb the needed nutrient from the fan leaves, or any and all leaves.

Some growers will disagree with the plants not needing the fan leaves after week 4.

Those leaves are still going through photosynthesis and producing the sugars, etc that keep the plant fed. Plus they are the storehouses for much of the macro and micro nutrients. When the flowering stage demands more phosphorous and potassium for flower growth than the plant can pull from the soil or soil-less growing mix it will start to absorb the needed nutrient from the fan leaves, or any and all leaves.
My theory exactly. If you keep pulling fans she just grows more. That tells me she needs them. I let my girls get as bushy as they want. And they reward me.

I understand and agree with you leaves feed the plant. when I do this I only take the fan leaves at end of week 4 (removing the leaves that block the light to buds) defoilation is really strain specific some strain hardly need any

Back
Top Bottom