When to harvest?

thegreengrocr

I have a few plants going and would like some pointers on the best time to harvest.

This is for my "early greenhouse grow" journal.

I currently have 2 strains in full bloom. Hoping to harvest the first batch in about 2 weeks but I think I might be jumping the gun.

IMG_20140419_161855_6641.jpg
IMG_20140419_161845_053.jpg

Here are a couple of pics. This is Golden Goat. She has been in the greenhouse for 7 weeks now. Bright new growth at every bud tip still and trics has only just began to get cloudy. Like 10%. Hairs are changing color though.

IMG_20140419_161924_1481.jpg
IMG_20140419_161913_8731.jpg

These are even further behind. This strain is OG x Durban then SD added back in. She smokes incredible. Not a red hair on her.

Hairs are an indicator but Trichomes tell the whole story. Harvest too early (mostly clear trichomes) and you run the risk of decreased potency and smaller yield. Harvest too late (mostly amber trichomes) and you risk of THC degradation into CBN and CBD.

The trick is to carefully watch the trichomes (under magnification) when you begin to see other signs of plant maturity (diminishing calyx swelling, pistil color change, leaf fade, etc.). You will need to decide what ratio of cloudy/amber trichomes will best suit your needs. 90/10? 75/25? 60/40?

Hope this helps,
Obi-wan Cannabinoid

Thanks Obi Wan.

Getting to almost 15-20% clouded trichomes. I shoot for about 75-80% with a touch of amber. I like it heavy.

I was even thinking of letting one go a couple extra weeks just to have more variety in life. There are 8 from clones. I am also going to reveg one of the plants set for the later harvest. She is 7'6" now but will be about 2-3' when she starts off again.

At this point the schedule is to harvest in 12 more days, before dawn. They got the last nutes yesterday. I mill make a final decision tomorrow. Since I am only giving nutes every other day now we can go right back and extend the target date.

These 3 are samples I cut yesterday. They are from 2 different grows and 3 strains.

The one on the left started a 12 day flush 2 days ago. She is about 60% cloudy and a few stray trichomes that are amber. Might cut 4 down and leave 4 another week. Don't think the extra flush will hurt. 3 are more mature then the rest. Hairs are about 50% brown.

The one on the right is about 30-40% cloudy trichomes and in full bloom. I predict 3-4 weeks on these. Maybe 1 brown hair per branch.

IMG_20140423_224305_4732.jpg

This is from my indoor grow. She is going into flush tonight for a week. Looks like 50-60% cloudy trichomes. Not much amber yet.

IMG_20140423_224026_191.jpg

Those are some nice looking samples right there, friend. Well done. Your patience is paying off already and will pay large dividends in the end.

:bravo:
/Obi

Its hard to tell from pics and you're right there with the best bird's eye view but from that first pic you posted, she doesn't look ready to even start flushing to me; I'd give it more time if it was me.

This is my joy in life. What a great hobby for a gardener/connoisseur.

There are a few different grows in the sample pic. At this point the center pic is in a 7 day flush now. The greenhouse soil grows will get a 2 week flush. I can always add a few extra days. Gunna be in the 90's next week for their last week. It's raining today.

Back
Top Bottom