White Widow cloning attempts unsuccessfull

johnybologna

420 Member
I've tried 3 times in the past couple of months to clone my White Widdow. Everytime I take at least half a dozen branches of about 5-6 inches long that show some new growth. I cut them with a sterilized razor blade at 45 degrees and immediately put them in water to avoid air bubbles. After a minute I take them out 1 by 1 and rough up the bottom inch with the razor blade. I dip in root hormone (Clonex, Growtechnology) and put them in water with their bottom 2 inches. I keep them in the dark for a day and gradually give them more light, eventually put them under my LEDs. I change the water every couple of days. The leafs slowly wither and there is absolutely no root growth...
I haven't bought or used rock wool cubes yet. I assumed it would work without them. Not really sure what their function is? Is this my mistake, or is there another reason why it's not working? Someone told me some strains don't react to root hormone, not sure if this is correct?

I am not the best at cloning, but I keep it simple and cut it (as you do), dip it right in Clonex (as you do) and punch it into soil...that's it. I get about 50% success (which is plenty for me). I don't cover it (for humidity) and I place it in indirect lighting. I do mist it once or twice a day.

:goodluck:

My experience was this.
I made 7 clones chopped right off the plant 45 angle, shaved off 1/4th an inch or so of bottom of stem's skin for extra rooting power, cut the stem from the bottom up in the middle about 1/8th an inch for extra root promotion, then immediately dipped in cloneX gel and placed into rooter plugs that had been pre-soaked in seedling nutes. Placed them onto a tupperware piece and into my 4x4 tent in veg. Was plenty far away from light and not directly under it. I misted them once every morning and night before i went to sleep. If water dried up or looked low, i'd add more of the seedling nutes into the tray and let the plugs soak it up before adding a bit more. Always just enough to be soaking the bottom of the plug completely. I did not use a humidity dome. I believe it was 13 days later and 6 died and 1 survived, and let me tell you, those plants struggled. They looked poor each and every day and worse each day. Most of them didnt take root or rotted.

My 2nd attempt:
Everything i did the same, except i didnt place them into a tent but rather a humidity dome with a T5 light combo thing from amazon. I also placed a heating mat underneath the tray to keep the water warmer for more root promotion + helps with more humidity in the dome. The light was on a 18/6 schedule from the start. Placed in my bathroom. From the day i chopped to day 8 or 9 when they were exploding with roots out all the bottoms, they never declined in health to a noticeable degree! I was quite amazed at how massive a difference the dome makes so u get high humidity. I was in the 90 % + range and just opened the vent 1/4th each day on both sides, after day 2. The temps would also get prety high in there, i believe it was reaching the mid 90's f. By day 5 i would place the lid of the humidity dome somewhat crooked so it let some more heat out and fresh air in. I would spray the plants every morning and night as well. If the dome would look to be somewhat dry, i would spray it every morning/night with the plants.

Hope that helps ya out.

I should also add, my clones only had 2 nodes (their top and 1 beneath). They were all maybe 2-3' long.

So not even in water? Directly in soil? Will try! Does it matter when you do it (which stage your plant is in)? I might try some in a couple of weeks from now, mid-vegetative stage.
Yes, because I grow in soil...and I would pre soak the soil. Also note that I trimmed back much of the bigger leaves and my cutting were also only 2 nodes like @vyserage. Given this method I wouldn't notice a cutting die (and many would) for at least 10 days...they stay green and healthy (looking)...only when they started new growth did I know they were successful.

The humidity domes do work...I don't want to invest in one because I clone mainly for interest... I grow many diff strains from seed.

Definitely taking up the humidity dome advice! I'll probably try to make one myself first and only that doesn't work invest in one. So you plant directly in soil because you grow in soil; does that mean rockwool cubes are only for hydroponic? I'll also think of ways to keep temperature high, but probably won't invest in heating mat, unless if necessary.

Definitely taking up the humidity dome advice! I'll probably try to make one myself first and only that doesn't work invest in one. So you plant directly in soil because you grow in soil; does that mean rockwool cubes are only for hydroponic? I'll also think of ways to keep temperature high, but probably won't invest in heating mat, unless if necessary.
Lots of ways work...I did it because I am lazy and have soil available. :)

Lots of produce now comes in perfect "humidity domes" ...I have a few lettuce containers laying around my GH and they work ...if I use them.

A small heating mat is a great thing to have long term if you are germinating seeds or, apparently, cloning...you can get a small one for about $20.

You can try the plastic bag over the clones trick. I'm sure that keeps humidity decently. Never tried myself.

As Blew Hiller said, it really is great having a heating mat for seedlings and clones, and they're cheap!

For the quickest option, just place a plastic bag over your clones and spray them every morning/night. Not sure how your lighting is so cant say much for that, but you should give them light immediately or start with the 6 hrs off, 18 on.

The rooter pods i used can be used for both soil and hydro, thats why i love em :3 Plus u get plenty for a fair price on amazon.

71ATTw7BhjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Plant Starters, 50 Plugs

You can try the plastic bag over the clones trick. I'm sure that keeps humidity decently. Never tried myself.

As Blew Hiller said, it really is great having a heating mat for seedlings and clones, and they're cheap!

For the quickest option, just place a plastic bag over your clones and spray them every morning/night. Not sure how your lighting is so cant say much for that, but you should give them light immediately or start with the 6 hrs off, 18 on.

The rooter pods i used can be used for both soil and hydro, thats why i love em :3 Plus u get plenty for a fair price on amazon.
71ATTw7BhjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Plant Starters, 50 Plugs
I would like to say, that I was taught to not spray the leaves directly. I only mist the inside of the dome, and only for the 1st. 2-4 days. As long as you mist the leaves, then the plant has no need to grow roots. Once in awhile, i run into a strain that is very difficult to clone. If white widow didn't smell like skunk, I would be growing it. And I don't use any fertilizer, till they show a root system coming out of the rockwool cubes. And I prep the mother about a week prior to cutting, with a good dose of phosphorus . I have better results in spring. compared to late summer. I get so pissed at times, that I clone 2-3 times more than i need, just to increase my odds of at least having enough. And just when cloning seems routine, all of a sudden I couldn't get nothing to root. I can't get nothing to root. I'm shutting down my inside grow for the summer. I'll probably start some seeds about middle of August. Now you got me wanting some widow !!

I misted my plants from the get go with amazing results. 8/8 survived. I stopped misting them when I transplanted. Many different ways work, in the end you do what works for you. Keep in mind I've only cloned twice so far. 1/7 survived first attempt, 8/8 survived 2nd attempt in dome.

Build a aeroponic cloner. You can buy them for $50 bucks online or you can buy all the parts locally for about the same. I built mine from a 5 gallon bucket, small submersible pump and 360 degree hedge sprinkler. I run the pump for 1 minute, every four minutes, and keep the lights on an 18/6 for clones taken in veg and 20/4 for clones taken from flowering mothers. As for nutrient solution, I have run with clonex gel on the cuttings and lite nutes in the past, and am currently running without any nutes, and just tap water that I PH'd to 6.0. So far, I am 100% for producing roots.

Also, no need for the humidity dome. Before I tried the aeroponic cloner I had tried both rapid rooters and rockwool, but didnt have any luck.

The real key with cloning is patience. You may see no signs of roots for two weeks, even in the aeroponic cloner. Don't give up until the plant looks 100% dead, or you see signs of rot on the stem. If you see any signs of rot, remove the guilty party immediately.

Here is a shot of happy white widow clones from a flowering mother in my homemade rig.

I cut mine and put them in tepid water with a spoon of honey in it. Then into damp soil, humidity dome for a week. Gradually opening it up and then off. Spraying twice daily. First time cloning 5 of 6 survival.

Back
Top Bottom