Why won't these buds dry?

Canachris

My buds have been hanging for 5 days now. they are still wet, yeah they have drooped some but still very squishy and wet... everything I have hung in that space after 5 days I've had start slowing the drying process. The humidity was high on Saturday but cleared up on Sunday, I've had windows open the humidity in here is low. I just don't get it. Any ideas or insights always welcome

20230524_065549.jpg

20230520_074332.jpg

My buds have been hanging for 5 days now. they are still wet, yeah they have drooped some but still very squishy and wet... everything I have hung in that space after 5 days I've had start slowing the drying process. The humidity was high on Saturday but cleared up on Sunday, I've had windows open the humidity in here is low. I just don't get it. Any ideas or insights always welcome

20230524_065549.jpg

20230520_074332.jpg
Because they are huge :adore:
What is the rh in the room Amigo?
They need to be in a place where you can control the rh a little.
And bring it down.
Great work my friend.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

The humidity was high on Saturday but cleared up on Sunday, I've had windows open the humidity in here is low.
If the windows are left open day and night the room's humidity will follow what is happening outside. And outside the humidity often has a regular pattern of being its highest by dawn or shortly after, slowly dropping to its lowest level by late afternoon or early evening and starting to climb again until dawn and starting the cycle again. It might be easier to control the humidity and get drier air in the room by keeping the windows closed.

Another thing that can be slowing down the drying stage is the thickness of the stems. Those have a fair amount of moisture. As the buds loose some moisture they will pull it from the stems. While this can slow down the drying stage it can be a good thing because it helps create a slow drying process which is often recommended for an easier to control dry. If the buds are drying too fast then it is possible that the window for an optimum level of being dry is very narrow and if it is missed it can be very hard, if not impossible, to fix.

Patience is the key to a good dry and cure stage. Wait until you want to try the low and slow method of placing the harvest in a refrigerator when time seems to stand still;).

It’s been covered already but I will reiterate it and put my own spin on it because this stage is absolutely crucial

It’s hard to tell for sure but those are large looking buds and stems. Leaving the buds on the stems will automatically add time to your dry. Just for reference, if your dry is happening faster than 7 days you’re likely drying it too fast or your buds are very small. Drying shouldn’t happen quickly, it’s an artful process that takes time and patience. It’s very easy to screw it up and dry it too much or too fast. You can’t come back from too dry so you want to be observant.

My most current grow I dried and cured literally weeks ago, took 9 days average (I wish it was more but it is what it is) to dry. I kept my temp below 68 F and my RH around 60 for the entire dry. I had a fan blowing but not directly on the buds. Just enough airflow so the buds would sway gently. The longer/slower you dry your buds the better the final product will be. Any temps above 68 and you quickly lose terpenes, anything below mid 50s and you run the risk of mold (unless you’re using a frost free fridge or freeze drying but that’s a whole other technique). If you smell ammonia you don’t have good enough airflow.

The drying and curing process is so super important. It’s the only process other than waiting 55 days from seed that I am extremely anal about. I am flexible on everything except ‘from seed’ time and dying and curing. Don’t rush the process.

If the windows are left open day and night the room's humidity will follow what is happening outside. And outside the humidity often has a regular pattern of being its highest by dawn or shortly after, slowly dropping to its lowest level by late afternoon or early evening and starting to climb again until dawn and starting the cycle again. It might be easier to control the humidity and get drier air in the room by keeping the windows closed.

Another thing that can be slowing down the drying stage is the thickness of the stems. Those have a fair amount of moisture. As the buds loose some moisture they will pull it from the stems. While this can slow down the drying stage it can be a good thing because it helps create a slow drying process which is often recommended for an easier to control dry. If the buds are drying too fast then it is possible that the window for an optimum level of being dry is very narrow and if it is missed it can be very hard, if not impossible, to fix.

Patience is the key to a good dry and cure stage. Wait until you want to try the low and slow method of placing the harvest in a refrigerator when time seems to stand still;).
Agree entirely, but admit I sometimes take the buds off the stems and sweat them in a cardboard box if I'm worried about mould - doesn't seem to harm the quality/terpenes by the time it's properly cured

Agree entirely, but admit I sometimes take the buds off the stems and sweat them in a cardboard box if I'm worried about mould - doesn't seem to harm the quality/terpenes by the time it's properly cured

Cardboard boxes are an experienced growers best unspoken about friend. You don’t see them mentioned much in articles or guides but I recommend every grower keep a few cardboard boxes on hand at all times. You can use them for seedlings, boosting RH, controlling temps, drying, etc. They’re very versatile. If you’re an organic grower you can repurpose them as well and use them as your brown source in compost or feed them to the worms. Great resource to have on hand.

Theres many ways. Lol. I used to hang in a cardboard box to slow drying. I dont like dry buds....gotta be dry, but sticky. Lol Ive had to toss jars though because of mold. Hard to get the perfect texture. Different bud structures dry differently too. Ive always noticed that looser vuds seem to dry slower. 🤷‍♂️ makes zero sense to me. Lol

If the process is taking longer, have you checked your humidity in the area?? Most detailed weather reports these days do give the humidity rate in your town. That has everything to do with how the drying process is going.

I know because I once tried to dry while in a two week rainy period. Without a fan 2 weeks after it still wasn't dry.

Back
Top Bottom