Why would I not move my girls outside during nice warm days?

radrichie61

OK so this is a question that I suppose the answer is going to be why would I not, but it never hurts to get some feedback. Below you will see my cabinet nursery. I know it looks pretty bad compared to what other people do but hey, it is working and it is all I got. I live in coastal North Carolina and the weather is the bomb right now warm and sunny and I’m thinking why would I not take all my girls outside to soak up some good sunshine when it is nice and bring them back inside as the day cools off.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

65945113-D5B9-4014-BB80-61A53DA61F4A.jpeg

B897DDA3-D343-49D6-B0C3-EDD3C1072F21.jpeg

CAF91CA1-F5CB-4123-9815-AA5E5FF81A1C.jpeg

B5F2972B-2502-4E32-91BC-57FB73C9DDB3.jpeg

D82D87EC-128F-4455-9DAF-72530E9847E9.jpeg

I don't grow outdoors but know a few people move plants in and out. Drawbacks I believe are shifting potentially heavy pots as they get bigger and also potentially bringing pests in from outside.

Well it is a good idea but first issue I would be concerned about would be pest/bugs getting on them and bring them into house.
I don’t know if this is going to be the case but during my first grow last year, barely a hint PM and no pest problems. All my grows will be close to where I live so very similar conditions. Going to have to keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes.

Don't just stick them in full sun, you have to harden them up or they will get sun burnt.
put them in a warm brightly lit spot or use a crop cover, like window sheer.

You will need to put them in shade for most of the time when the sun is shining the strongest.
If you are planning to finish them outdoors, it's a good idea to give them a few hours of sunlight.
The only thing I don't like about that method is the fact that you constantly move the pots, and they don't like to be moved around much.

When they're wee little seedlings, no. Leave them inside, a gentle fan, and consistent light, 18-20hrs, whatever you like. Once they've got maybe 4 sets of leaves, they'll be a bit tougher, and tolerate bumping about to get them outside.

Below you will see my cabinet nursery. I know it looks pretty bad compared to what other people do but hey, it is working and it is all I got.
Looks good. Nothing wrong there except for the purple light makes it look like the plants are living on some planet in another universe. ;)

I live in coastal North Carolina and the weather is the bomb right now warm and sunny and I’m thinking why would I not take all my girls outside to soak up some good sunshine when it is nice and bring them back inside as the day cools off.
There are good points and bad points.

I do it with my herbs for cooking and some flowering plants like geraniums which right now are semi-dormant and sitting in the back room since they will not tolerate deep freezes. Up here we are about a month to 5 weeks behind your weather conditions but when the weather breaks they will go outside and probably spend the rest of the growing season in the back yard. They are already hardened off after spending the winter in the unheated back room.

You could take your seedlings outside and let them get some sun and shade. Harden them off and that will only be a couple of days. After awhile they should be able to survive cold nights. Once they reach that stage they can start to grow faster than you want. Kinda surprising on how fast they take off when outside all the time even with the sometimes cloudy days or cooler days and nights. Sunlight can beat artificial lights just about every time. Just have to be sure that the length of day is long enough to prevent any major attempt by the plant to start flowering but that should be OK in a month or bit longer.

The bad points include that the constant carrying them back and forth can get to be a chore that is not always fun. As they get larger and are transplanted to larger pots it is more weight that has to be moved. Plus the larger plants tend to sway and that increases the chore. Dropping them is something else I worry about. Gotta figure out how many trips to make back and forth based on how many can be carried at one time.

Yes, insects might get on them but if they are going to be in the outdoors as part of a guerilla grow then it does not matter. People that have never taken a plant outside still end up with mites or thrips showing up on indoor only grows. In a way insects are a minor point.

hey richie nice little nursery u got going there & nce seedlings, i do the in & out when i have time , though i climatize slowly at first part shade then slowly to full sun in the end my plants go out doors , i check them for insects dos"nt take long when they"re that size but on the other hand i don"nt have as many plants as u , take care & peace to all :peace:

Back
Top Bottom