Would like your opinion on equipment I need to buy

Output

I'm getting close to being able to do my first grow. I have gotten incredible feedback simply by posting my questions here. So figure I would do the same for the last couple of pieces of equipment I need to see if I'm doing it right.

Will be using organic soil as the grow medium.

Am thinking about getting the Hanna Combo pH TDS/EC.
51wDjfjiwgL_SL1000_1.jpg

And I need to get a couple of temperature/humidity meters. So I'm thinking about getting the: AcuRite 613 Indoor Humidity Monitor.
81dk1r84w2L_SL1500_.jpg

If you have any thoughts about this equipment or recommendations for something more suitable, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

I am basing my suggestion off the link you sent which was $148 for the combo:

Bluelab pH Pen for the pH meter

Sunleaves TDS Essential Digital Pen for the TDS meter

I love Bluelab as the best, however another pretty good meter is this one: HM Digital pH Meter Model PH-80

I recommend the Bluelab if you have play room.

Out of curiosity, would you have recommended something else have you not seen the price of the unit I was looking at?

Should I be spending more or would last be sufficient?

I would have most likely recommended the same things because I posted two pH meters, one less expensive and one more expensive.

I encouraged the Bluelab more however because I do know those combo meter are pricey, and if you were willing to spend that much money on that, it makes sense to go with Bluelab.

You truly get what you pay for, it's a very true statement. From my position it's difficult at times because some members look at me as a sponsor and think I'm going to attempt to rip them off somehow when the truth is I just try to offer help and suggestions. I'm doing something I enjoy which is helping progress the Cannabis movement, if I make money by doing this then am I not doing what everyone strives to do? ;)

P.S. I know you weren't inferring anything, and my little rant is mostly because I just had a session with my vape pen (which we might sell online soon ;P)

I would have most likely recommended the same things because I posted two pH meters, one less expensive and one more expensive.

I encouraged the Bluelab more however because I do know those combo meter are pricey, and if you were willing to spend that much money on that, it makes sense to go with Bluelab.

You truly get what you pay for, it's a very true statement. From my position it's difficult at times because some members look at me as a sponsor and think I'm going to attempt to rip them off somehow when the truth is I just try to offer help and suggestions. I'm doing something I enjoy which is helping progress the Cannabis movement, if I make money by doing this then am I not doing what everyone strives to do? ;)

P.S. I know you weren't inferring anything, and my little rant is mostly because I just had a session with my vape pen (which we might sell online soon ;P)

Excellent. Thank you.

And just to be clear, you are right – I wasn't inferring anything. My question was because you wrote, "I am basing my suggestion off the link you sent which was $148 for the combo".

That logically led me to wonder what suggestion you would've given me had price not been included in my original post. :)

And, being a newb at this, was just looking for expert help - which you gave. And I absolutely believe you should earn all the money you possibly can – especially because you are a sponsor here.

By the way, I see some unflattering comments about the PH testing solution by BlueLab. Is there any other you'd recommend. The Bluelab pH Pen does look nice.

By the way – I hope your vape pen was enjoyable. :thumb:

Interestingly I was just pondering if I should order some Bluelab calibration solution, what have you heard if you don't mind sharing? I have yet to use it and I'm curious how a company can go wrong with something like solutions.

I've always used General Hydroponics calibration solutions.

Output,

:Namaste: my friend! I don't think we're supposed to post links to products on non-sponsor websites.

However, I purchased the following products for my grow, and they are serving me well.

PH monitoring:
$14.00 Neewer Mini Digital Pen Type PH Meter PH-009 I Multimeter Tester Hydro
$7.72 General Hydroponics Ph 7.0 Calibration Solution (for meter above)

Total Dissolved Solids monitoring:
$15.59 HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy

Humidity & Temp monitoring:
$8.94 Acu-Rite Home Comfort Monitor

You can see all of these products in the photos from my first grow, currently in progress.
Click the link in my sig if you're interested.

May all your beans sprout and may you have many happy memories.

Best,
Seamus

Hi Seamus - thank you for your suggestions.

I was simply trying to show a picture of the unit that I was talking about and not trying to recommend anything, nevertheless a non-sponsor. Being a newb my advice probably wouldn't go very far. LOL

But thank you, I will see if I can't find a better way to do it in the future.

I've spoken to the staff regarding posting non-sponsor websites and staff please correct me if I misunderstood.

Basically you can post these links, like the way you did, Output because you're just using it as a reference. It is when people blatantly push and advertise for these other sites when the staff has an issue with it.

I've spoken to the staff regarding posting non-sponsor websites and staff please correct me if I misunderstood.

Basically you can post these links, like the way you did, Output because you're just using it as a reference. It is when people blatantly push and advertise for these other sites when the staff has an issue with it.

Great – thank you. That's very good to know.

My way of thinking about it is that Amazon is about as generic as you can possibly get. :) And I'm certainly not associated with them in any way whatsoever.

I just read your post and even though a lot of growers use PH meters (mainly hydro growers) I noticed that you are wanting to do an organic soil grow. Having a ph meter is a nice tool when you start out growing just to get a "confidence" about mixing nutrients but with organic soil it is really not a necessity but more of a check tool. When your soil is healthy and mixed right, and as long as you are not dumping synthetic nutrients/salt based nutrients on your soil, the soil should naturally balance out and the ph of your feedings becomes irrelivant to a point.

For me I have found using earthjuice (organic nutrients) that if added to 0ppm 7.0Ph R/O D/I water usually the PH sits about 4PH when first mixed. I always bubble my feedings for 1 1/2 to 2 days before feeding and this naturally brings the ph up to around 6.3-6.7. This is when I feed. I used my PH meter my first grow and now it just sits unused because I know how my mixes self adjust. I would recommend getting just a cheap one because like I mentioned, for soil it is not a huge necessity.

As for PPM meters, for soil, another non necessity and more of a check tool to get a feeling of what your feeding. The only time I use my PPM meter is when my plants are showing stress, I sometimes will check my runnoff to see how high it is, usually if I hit higher than 1600ppm in my run off, I know my soil needs a few water only feedings the next couple or just a compost tea. If your going to get a PPM meter, get a cheap one, I have the hanna prime which costs about 20$. I hardly use it though and never test my ppm of organic teas that I make.

Any digital humidity meters are nice, ones that also have temperature are also nice but any should suit your needs fine.

But thank you, I will see if I can't find a better way to do it in the future.

Oh, dude you're good, I didn't mean to be critical!

I was sort of only saying that because since the staff has emailed me about it before, I chose not to link to the exact products which I had purchased, which would have made things easier for you, since you could have just clicked on those. I'm sorry.

Are you going to do a grow journal when you get everything together?
If so I'll gladly follow along!

:Namaste: my brother and happy growing to you!

~Seamus

Oh, dude you're good, I didn't mean to be critical!

I was sort of only saying that because since the staff has emailed me about it before, I chose not to link to the exact products which I had purchased, which would have made things easier for you, since you could have just clicked on those. I'm sorry.

Are you going to do a grow journal when you get everything together?
If so I'll gladly follow along!

:Namaste: my brother and happy growing to you!

~Seamus

No worries, I didn't take it as you were being critical. :) And I appreciate your advice.

As to posting links, I am incredibly confused. The staff is not said anything to me about posting the links I posted here. But they edited a post in which I made a link showing an organic soil recipe. The page I linked to had nothing on it commercial, nothing was for sale, and I certainly wasn't recommending anything. Yet they took out the link.

I have asked for clarification from them and we'll see what happens.

I think I will do a grow journal so I can get as much help as I possibly can on this journey.

Back
Top Bottom