Problems with first grow in 12/12

LoveGreen

Hi guys,

After lurking in the site for about two months, I decided to sign up and thank you guys for being so helpful and informative. I also decided to grow weed for myself, but I'm facing a few issues. I germinated a few bag seeds and left them outdoors, in my terrace, to grow. However, the seeds have been through a light cycle of 12/12 from seed and even after 45 days, I haven't been able to determine the sex of all the five plants. These are sativas (according to various pictures I've seen on the net) and I understand that it takes quite a bit of time for these babies to grow. Now, I bought some CFLs and have made a grow box too. My first grow was something I could experiment with, but I don't want to kill these plants because I see them growing quite well. They are about 10 inches tall and I'd hate to throw them away. Should I continue with 12/12 with my CFLs or should I switch to veg state (18/6) and allow them to grow more? I also didn't want to mess with nutrients and gave them 19-19-19 just a week ago. I see a lot of growth and would be thankful if you can suggest what I need to do.

Thanks!

I would re-veg them and give them a proper life. And as much light/ventilation as you can.

They will have been getting progressively less light outside, so putting them at a strict 12/12 would lengthen their day, interrupt their hormonal balance and possibly send them hermi.

Let them reveg and get accustomed to indoor life, you may also have to battle some bugs that they bring with them and you don't want to do that in flower.

:goodluck:

In my own experience off a regular seed stock i believe it is more down to maturity of the plant...

It is a bit like humans really we don't become sexually mature in till we hit double digits & early teens for example & i believe this can be held true to regular seed stock ?

Ye i use too grow regular seed and a bit of a roll of the dice to which turn out boy or girl, but these would often show sex between 8 - 12 weeks of veg, i think some genetics is involved via sativa vs indica on total time to tell/show sex tho...

With feminized seed i know between 6 to 8 weeks of veg as pre flowers are showing by then :high-five:

Just uploaded the pics. As you can see, the pistils aren't seen yet. Thank you Gordongardena, go4snypr and Fuzzy Duck for taking the time to reply. However, how many days should I re-veg them? Would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks!

Hope the pics are easy to see now.

Image_71.jpg
Image_61.jpg
Image_54.jpg
Image_43.jpg
Image_35.jpg
Image_25.jpg
Image_16.jpg
DSC_014218.jpg

Not sure what to tell you. I understand what Fuzzy is saying about maturity, but I would have thought 12/12 should force it to flower regardless of maturity. Right now you have a 10 inch plant that if it was on 18/6 lighting when you switch to 12/12 it would stretch and double in height or more. as it has been on 12/12 the whole time I don't know if or when it will stretch, or when it will start to flower, or if it even needs to "re-veg", cause to me it doesn't even look like its in flower, therefore it may not skip a beat if you change the lights back to 18/6.

Should I just continue in 12/12 and see what's going to happen? The plant has picked up growth only in the past 2 weeks or so.

I was thinking if they have been outside since seed germination & natural day light hours offer a 12/12 cycle...

But due to a built up area & contamination of other light sources street lights/window lights during dark hours etc may have tricked the plant in to vegetative state by the unnatural surrounding light sources ?

Just an idea which occurred once i viewed ya pic's :high-five:

Since ya made a grow box & have a structured lighting regime, hopefully no light leaks etc

Which if i remember correctly ? forcing sex of regular seed stock under 12/12 should take about 2 weeks aprox, give or take a few days :thumb:

So ye if ya into your learning curve just roll with 12/12, give it some time & ya see !

Thanks Fuzzy duck, I think I'm gonna do just that. Yeah, we do have street lights, but that also makes me wonder how plants that are grown outdoors grow. Obviously, weed that's grown in huge fields will also light leaks, right? It has been completely natural until now. 12/12 from day one. I didn't even give them a lot of nutes because I feared nutrient burn. I will wait and see for another month or so, to find out what's up, but thank you all for your help. Very much appreciated.

Do they at least look healthy? I read elsewhere that it takes a long time to grow outdoors, so that is one reason why my plants aren't big, but I hope they are healthy at least. I don't want to throw them without giving them at least a month indoors.

those plants are not in flower yet. but if you put them in your indoor space and put them on a 12/12 they will show flower signs in 2 weeks. BUT they are not in flower as yet. 45 days of 12/12 and no signs of flowering is just not heard off, they look healthy enough so crack on with 12/12 and you will be happy. on the other hand if you want them bigger then give them 18/6 in your indoor space they will just grow very quick, and then switch them.but i say again they are not in flower. happydays yeaman

Oh yes, i seem to have forgotten some thing !

Home made grow box :love:

Just a curiosity really & would you care to share your design via some pic's & ventilation methods used ?

Temperature & Humidity (RH) of grow box may help also...

Some of this stuff effects growing etc

Do they at least look healthy? I read elsewhere that it takes a long time to grow outdoors, so that is one reason why my plants aren't big, but I hope they are healthy at least. I don't want to throw them without giving them at least a month indoors.

Ye they look ok, mildly under feed & a bit mild green but the recent feeding should pick them up...

Another question is soil used & effective PH value !

Back
Top Bottom