Bud's First - Indoor - Soil - Bag Seed - Grow 2016

Bud Good

What strain is it? Bag seed, it could very well be SFV OG Kush
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Probably sativa dominant hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? 21 days in veg
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? A blend of generic potting soil and peat
If soil... What size pot? 10 oz cups for now
Size of light? 4' T5 4 tube 6500k
Temp of Room/cab? 75° or so (no thermometer yet)
RH of Room/cab? 50% or less (that's where the dehumidifier is set to turn on)
PH of media or res? It might be around 6-6.5, I need to get a better pH meter
Any Pests? Only nosy neighbors
How often are you watering? As the soil gets dry (3-4 days)
Type and strength of ferts used? Fox Farms, only a very weak Grow Big so far

This is essentially my first grow, unless I count some horribly burnt and drowned seedlings that I fed with Miracle Grow every day, or a 12"+ stretched seedling grown under a single 60w equivalent CFL that just fell over and died one day. So... yes, this is my first grow.

I have learned so much in the last ~20 days in these 420 forums. I wasn't even going to do a grow journal, I just kept notes in a notebook. But after seeing this great community, I figured I should do one in the hopes that my anticipated failures can help others in the future.

I started reading just after I dropped the seeds in the soil (planted on 5/28/2016)... without germinating them, using non-pHed water, and I didn't wash my hands and I touched them a bunch. Also the water here is terrible 95% of the time. It will go from smelling like a swimming pool to smelling like a stagnant pond with only short windows where it's drinkable without a filter. I had no idea these things mattered. "What do I need to know about planting a seed", I thought. I did know to plant the pointy end down, and thought that was the end of it. Oh well, out of 9 planted, 8 sprouted and I'm inclined to think it was a bad seed anyway. The initial planting was 3 seeds arranged in a triangle with sides of roughly 3" in the center of 5 gallon buckets. My plan was to let them grow a few weeks and then let only the strongest one in each bucket continue. After reading that my hoped for yields were a pipe dream, I decided I should let them all grow.

Two of the sprouts died before the first pointy leaves outgrew the roundish ones. Another two started looking under watered, so I watered them a bunch. I now believe they were over watered, and that's why watering them made them worse. I thought those two were dead, but I left them in the soil and just pushed their bucket off to the side to make more room under my light. I'm lazy like that sometimes. But it paid off because on 5/27 I noticed some new growth on one of the toppled over 9" stretched seedlings. I carefully dug out the almost non-existent roots and placed it into the bottom of an empty cup. I buried the stem as far as I could and today (5/29) I removed the support I had attached it to and it was able to stand on its own. I reattached it just to be safe, I'll let it grow at least a few more days before letting it go on its own. I don't want to lose it again.

On 5/18 I planted 6 more seeds because I though I was down to two good plants. Of those only three sprouted and only one survived, so I now have a total of 6 plants. I guessed at a pH adjustment on that water based on my crappy meter which said my tap water was 8-point-something. I have a feeling I added way too much vinegar. Or not enough. This meter is worthless. The remaining seeds of that type all look pretty weak, so I have low expectations of them even sprouting. I do have a few dozen more of different types, but for my first grow I want to have all one strain. I think it will make everything easier.

I will get some pictures as soon as I find my camera, or as soon as I overcome my paranoia about hidden metadata in cell phone photos.

I have two questions if anyone is reading this. First, I need a recommendation for a good pH meter. I'm in the $25 range, they seem to jump from ~$25 to >$250. Second, what's the best way to determine sex? Some seem to say that flipping and then reverting to veg causes hermies. Should I just take a little more time and check sex on clones?

OK, so I found *a* camera, not the one I was hoping for... you'll have to deal with the fish eye lens for now. These are with my GoPro, and it sucks for taking close up photos because I never have any idea what's going to be in frame and what's not.

The plants are numbered 1-6 from left to right. I forgot to add that I FIMed #3 and 4 on the 28th. #4 might have been a topping. Except for a a few spots of new growth where they were FIMed, neither has really grown since then (3 days).

I also neglected to mention previously that 1,2,3,4,6 are stretched because I started them on a 2x40 watt "daylight" light. Even touching the bulbs they kept stretching. #5 was started on my current light.

GOPR0045.JPG
GOPR0047.JPG
GOPR0049.JPG

I'll sub in for this. I wouldnt worry too much about them stretching, when you up pot them you can always bury them. How ever much of the stem you bury will sprout roots eventually. There's a lot of good people on here that are more then willing to help out when they can. Good luck on your grow and:welcome::420:

Mate ive also read to use vinegar as ph down. That was my problem of plant death.
Ph down some water with vinigar. Than ph it in 1 hour and its back to normal. Vinigare is not a stable ph down. If u cant get the proper hydro ph down get battery acid. It is stable.
I bet thats your problems there.
Also fish ph not stable for growth also.

Sent from my SM-J110F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Mate if u get hairs its a lady but if u get sacks its a man..
Does this answer your question or have i miss understood u

Thanks to both of you, and welcome to my garden!

I'll sub in for this. I wouldnt worry too much about them stretching, when you up pot them you can always bury them. How ever much of the stem you bury will sprout roots eventually. There's a lot of good people on here that are more then willing to help out when they can. Good luck on your grow and:welcome::420:

I already buried a couple inches of the stretched ones, the dirt in those cups started out at the same level as #5. They seem to be done stretching under the new light, so I'm not worried, more of an explanation of the normal one than anything.

I've read so much here already, I feel like I'm old friends with about a dozen members. Well, maybe not old friends... but certainly like I've been stalking them for a while :) This seems like a great place! :circle-of-love:

Mate ive also read to use vinegar as ph down. That was my problem of plant death.
Ph down some water with vinigar. Than ph it in 1 hour and its back to normal. Vinigare is not a stable ph down. If u cant get the proper hydro ph down get battery acid. It is stable.
I bet thats your problems there.
Also fish ph not stable for growth also.

That makes sense. But also raises a new question... Plants 1-4,6 were planted with regular tap water which I later found to be a pH of 8 (meter sucks, could be off) and TDS of 500. They did fine, minus the stretching. All plants have received distilled water since then, one watering was a very weak mixture of FF Grow Big. About a teaspoon in a gallon. So now I wonder why so many failed to sprout if I didn't make it too acidic with the vinegar. Maybe just weaker seeds...

I do have some pH adjuster coming, *should* be here tomorrow, which is when I think they'll need their next watering.

Mate if u get hairs its a lady but if u get sacks its a man..
Does this answer your question or have i miss understood u

I get that part, I was just wondering the best way to find the males as quickly as possible. I've seen people suggest flipping the plants to 12/12 before you intend to flower, just give them long enough to show sex, and then revert to 18/6. But other people say that can stress them enough to hermie and the best is to wait until they're a little bit bigger to take a clone from them and then put the clone in 12/12.

Ok i see. Mate a clone is only a very small trim if done correct. So i wouldnt look so hard into it. Heaps of research can also be confusing. What im saying is let those green babies tell you when there ready. Than take a clone. The best teacher is your plants.
Yes basic knowledge but then its our plants that take us to the green thumb we all have in us.
Peace out dude. Passing on the growing path to a united world of flower power in the bud form man.

Ok i see. Mate a clone is only a very small trim if done correct. So i wouldnt look so hard into it. Heaps of research can also be confusing. What im saying is let those green babies tell you when there ready. Than take a clone. The best teacher is your plants.
Yes basic knowledge but then its our plants that take us to the green thumb we all have in us.
Peace out dude. Passing on the growing path to a united world of flower power in the bud form man.

I was thinking I need to get the males out ASAP because I don't have room for 6 large plants under my lights, but I have a second area I can use if needed. Just a little more work. So in your opinion, don't flip them early and then revert back to 18/6 to find the males? That's kinda what I was thinking... if there's a chance it will stress and hermie them, it's not worth it.

How long do you plan on vegging them before you switch to flower?
I'll be doing this perpetually, the first one, which will probably be #1 since it's the biggest right now, I'll probably put in flower in about a month. That's assuming that their small size for their age is because I stunted their growth by over watering at first and that they will start growing faster.

I was thinking I need to get the males out ASAP because I don't have room for 6 large plants under my lights, but I have a second area I can use if needed. Just a little more work. So in your opinion, don't flip them early and then revert back to 18/6 to find the males? That's kinda what I was thinking... if there's a chance it will stress and hermie them, it's not worth it.

I'll be doing this perpetually, the first one, which will probably be #1 since it's the biggest right now, I'll probably put in flower in about a month. That's assuming that their small size for their age is because I stunted their growth by over watering at first and that they will start growing faster.
I dont think so mate.
Im not a professional by any means. But if you play it safe i think its best. Then next time round try little things. To get all this knowledge its trial and era.

Sorry. And yes they should grow much better mate if you slow the water down.
I drowned my first lot thinking they were thirsty. These days i water every 5 to 7 days. Those roots need air and wet growing media usually has very limited air.

Yeah, I definitely drowned them early on (nothing compared to my first ever attempt tho LOL. It's funny how much I want to water, even knowing that I shouldn't now). I *think* I've got the watering down now. I watered 3 and 4 this morning, the leaves on both were getting droopy and the cups felt empty. #3 was starting to droop in the photos I took last night, it was worse this morning and #4 was in the same shape as #3 was last night. They perked up a bit in 30 min or so. We'll see tonight.

My setup is far from finished, but I do have limited air in and out. Right now I just cut a hole in the wall to an air conditioned room (72°F) and put an air purifier in front of the hole with some cardboard around it to force it to suck cool air into the room. The temperature is good and as small as these ladies are, I assume the CO2 levels will be fine for a while. I talk to them for a bit every night so they get a bonus dose from me. I can also feel cool air coming out of the door into the non-air conditioned hallway, so it's definitely moving some air.

I have an old (but new in box) bathroom exhaust fan rated at 50 CFM which would suffice for the area of my grow, it's 8'x2'x7.5' so the air would be changed out every 2 minutes or so. I've got some carbon pellets coming and I'm going to build a filter box. Basically just 20"x20" on the inside with a furring strip around the perimeter to attach some chicken wire, a furnace filter on top of that, and then dump in the carbon and attach the fan to the lid. Saw a thread on here where someone made something like that, and it sounds pretty easy.

The grow is in a closet which has no doors, in a roughly 12'x12' room. I'm assuming that when they say "grow room", they mean the area of the plants, right? I don't think I could afford to air condition the entire 1,200 ft^3 room LOL.

I'm stoked for this. I started a couple weeks ago so I am starting to find a couple people that just started that I can watch behind me. I'll have a good array of people both a couple weeks ahead and behind me and then a couple that started at the same time I did. Welcome Aboard!

People say weed isn't an addictive drug... but growing it is!

I'm stoked for this. I started a couple weeks ago so I am starting to find a couple people that just started that I can watch behind me. I'll have a good array of people both a couple weeks ahead and behind me and then a couple that started at the same time I did. Welcome Aboard!

People say weed isn't an addictive drug... but growing it is!

Thanks! I checked out your grow, and it's looking a lot better and more organized than mine.

I'm enjoying growing as much as I like smoking. After the first harvest, I can do both at once :)

I will sub in for this one too, funny enough I made a carbon filter and extractor fan yesterday. Not too fancy but if it works then that is all that matters :thumb: Welcome to the forum and enjoy it!!

Thanks, and welcome to my garden, Pat! I'm going to go check out your grow, hopefully I'll see the filter you made. I've never been a fan of fancy things when cheap DIY will work just as well or better.

Back
Top Bottom