ClosetPharmer's DIY Cabinet With LED - King Kong & Critical Super Silver Haze

ClosetPharmer

Hi all and welcome to my first grow journal. :welcome:

I’ve been lurking and learning for many months and now am ready to share my experience and hopefully help others while learning more myself.

I’m an empty nester living in a state where cannabis isn’t legal (yet) and don’t want to buy weed on the black market. I used to be a serious toker in the 70’s and 80’s but once kids came along I stopped smoking.

I’m a bit of a tinkerer so I decided to build my own stealth cabinet. The cabinet is going into a large closet in the basement, so it didn’t need to be camouflaged. I framed it with 2x2s and covered it with ¼ inch plywood. It measures 3 ft x 3ft x 6ft. I mounted wheels on the bottom to make relocating the cabinet easier. I painted the inside with white roofing paint.

image19800.jpg

image19801.jpg
image19802.jpg

image19803.jpg

For air intake and light baffle I simply left a 2 inch wide slot in the bottom in the back wall and then added a 4 inch cover on the outside and inside so the air has to make 3 - 45 degree turns to get in. The air intake is 2 inches by almost 3 ft. Below is a diagram and detail shots of the outside and inside of the light baffle.

image19796.jpg
image19805.jpg
image19810.jpg

For airflow I picked up a Ventech 4 inch fan and a oscillating fan. I will be adding a carbon filter later.

image19818.jpg

In looking at the different technologies for growing, I decided that organic living soil was best for me. I like the fact that once you have your soil mixed and “cooked” it is pretty low maintenance; just add water. I figure the plants and the soil can figure out what they need and it would be better to get out of the way and let them do their thing. I used the recipe for organic soil from Subcool (google it if you’re interested) basically 1/3rd peat moss, 1/3rd worm casings, 1/3rd perlite plus amendments. I mixed the soil and let it “cook” in a 50 gallon container while I built the cabinet.

image19798.jpg
image19797.jpg
image19795.jpg
image19799.jpg
image19788.jpg
image19790.jpg

For light I decided to go with LED for heat and energy consumption. I found a Mars ll 900 watt light on ebay at a decent price.
I put it all together hung the lights and then ran it for a few days to see what the temp and humidity did. Since this sits in the basement and I’m in a cold northern state, I was worried about temp being too low but it seems to stay at around 75 degrees, the humidity was lower than I anticipated but I figure as long as the roots get all of the water they need they should be ok.

image19804.jpg

For seeds I went with Herbies and they arrived safely via the stealth method. This part was the most nerve wrecking part for me. After being overwhelmed by all of the choices I settled on King Kong and Critical Super Silver Haze for my first grow. Here’s some info on the strains:
Strain: King Kong
Breeder: Dr. Underground
Type: indica/sativa
Flowering: ~53 days
Only female seeds.

Delicious Critical Super Silver Haze Feminised Seeds Specs

Genotype: 30% indica, 70% sativa.
THC: 20%
Production indoor: 450 gr/m²
Production outdoor: 500gr/plant
Harvest indoors: 70-75 days ,
Harvest outdoors: end of October .

image19811.jpg

In keeping with my lazy approach to gardening, I was intrigued with the auto wicking method using cloth “Smart Pots”. “Noobwannb's Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup” thread on --------- was very helpful. So I selected two different cloth 5 gallon pots (one was half the price of the other so I thought I’d see if the expensive version is worth it). I took a large Rubbermaid container and filled it with hydroton, filled the smart pots with my soil that had been cooking for about 2 months. The container was then filled with water to about an inch below the top of the hydroton.

image19807.jpg

When it was time to plant the seeds, I decided to just drop them into the soil so I don’t have to bother with transplanting them and traumatizing the roots. The soil was nice and moist after sitting on the watered hydroton for several days so I cut off the top of some water bottles to keep the area where the seed was planted at an higher humidity.

image19793.jpg

This worked well for the Critical Super Silver Haze and it popped after 2 days and has taken right off. However, the King Kong seed didn’t germinate, so I took another seed and used the soak and paper towel method to plant the seed with the tap root already showing.

image19794.jpg

image19792.jpg

So my plants are 2 weeks apart in their development. The King Kong is supposed to be a quicker flowering strain so maybe they’ll finish around the same time.

Here's Haze after about 2 weeks after planting on 2/10/15

image19791.jpg

Here she is right after being topped on 2/15/15

image19814.jpg

And this was taken 4 days later

image19817.jpg

The plant is responding incredibly well. I’m really happy with how healthy the plants look so far. I plan to SCROG both plants as soon as they get a little bigger (around 8 inches). Given how fast the Haze is growing I’ll need to build my SCROG frame this weekend ;-)

Here's King Kong when she popped on 2/10/15

image19789.jpg

And here she is on 2/19/15

image19824.jpg

That's it for now, I'll post more pics when I've got the SCROG built :thumb:

Subbed and a hearty welcome to 420. I know you'll enjoy it here as much as I do. You can't find a better community to grow with IMHO. I'm so glad you're growing the Silver Haze. I have one of them too and I wanted to watch someone else manage one first.

I'll stop later and read more thoroughly. :green_heart:

I couldn't leave without reading again CP. Good soil, great lights, excellent setup and all the water they could ask for. Off to a spectacular start. Your closet design has me thinking about the one we want to build. Well done.

My only suggestion would be to get some mulch on them. The living mulches add a different dynamic to the soil community and help keep the upper zone evenly hydrated. At the very least some dried leaves or straw cut into small pieces. Well worth the time to include.

Again, good to have you here. :Namaste:

Ok, I guess these are like having kids; you worry about them even when they seem ok. So it's been a week since I topped the Critical Super Silver Haze (CSSH for short) and while the growth has been vigorous, the plant is very compact and short. I 'm wondering if the LED is too close. Bad news is the light is as high as it'll go so if that's the problem I'm screwed. Should I be worried or just assume it'll stretch later?

Here's the side view of CSSH
image20035.jpg

And here she is from above
image20036.jpg

King Kong is doing well and about ready to be topped.
image20037.jpg

I have mine (several varieties) under an led (20-22 inches) and they were short for a while,
but have recently decided to start reaching for the heavens :)
Give them a week or so and see if they don't start stretching

Note: I had the same thought, "is it too close, etc" then just decided to wait

I have mine (several varieties) under an led (20-22 inches) and they were short for a while,
but have recently decided to start reaching for the heavens :)
Give them a week or so and see if they don't start stretching

Note: I had the same thought, "is it too close, etc" then just decided to wait

Thanks Newoldguy, it was freaking me out a little bit that the growth is so dense yet the plant is so short. This is my first time growing indoors with LEDs. The ones I've grown outside have always been much "stretchier" if that's a word. It'll be interesting to see if the King Kong reacts to topping like the CSSH did.

My only suggestion would be to get some mulch on them. The living mulches add a different dynamic to the soil community and help keep the upper zone evenly hydrated. At the very least some dried leaves or straw cut into small pieces. Well worth the time to include.

Well it's hard to find clover seeds in the middle of winter but then I realized I've got tons of Chia seeds I use in soups and smoothies. So, what the heck, I thought I'd give them a try. After all they are supposed to be a "super food", hopefully they'll help to make my soil a "super soil" :thumb:

When you can source some clover seeds. They fix nitrogen and make a nice addition to the mulch when you have to chop them back now and then.

Your plants are looking super healthy. I know what you mean about different growth, the led plants are way different looking than outdoor grown plants. Don't be worried, the LED light will have super tight node spacing in vegetative phase. I love "building" my plants, that's the fun part, and of course enjoying the fruits of your labor. Excellent grow, can't wait to see the end result.

I'm a sucker for a DIY cabinet, very nice build, love the dolly wheels to move it around. Once your plants get bigger and more foliage, the humidity will rise for sure. Best of luck, nothing like growing your own medicine.

Welcome to the party! You've got some great genetics, good lighting, and most importantly some great soil. I'm going to watch this one for sure.

Like Sue said, just run down to the garden store. There's a good chance they have some clover. Throw a handful in there to keep the soil thriving.

Good luck!

Welcome ClosedCircuit! I'm making a run to a garden center this weekend to see if I can find some clover seeds. I'll get them online if I can't find any locally. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been blown away by the health of the plants so far. When I read about some of the other grow methods and the all of the work mixing nutes, keeping pumps going, flushing, etc; I'm glad I decided to go the living soil route.

Welcome ClosedCircuit! I'm making a run to a garden center this weekend to see if I can find some clover seeds. I'll get them online if I can't find any locally. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been blown away by the health of the plants so far. When I read about some of the other grow methods and the all of the work mixing nutes, keeping pumps going, flushing, etc; I'm glad I decided to go the living soil route.

It just doesn't make sense why anyone would grow any other way. They're convinced more chemicals means more end product, but I all I see is more money spent and more problems. You'll be sitting back and actually enjoying your grow CP. Imagine that! :thumb:

Time for an update. CSSH is now 31 days old and King Kong is 21 days old. Here's a shot to show their relative height. CSSH is on the left. She is still freaking me out by how short she is and how close all of the nodes are. Really tightly packed. I hope that it's not the sign of some problem. You can see the frame I built for the scrog but at this rate it'll be a while before they'll be tall enough to use it. Couldn't find clover seeds this weekend so I had to order some online.
image20727.jpg

Here's a close up showing how crowded the leaves are.
image20728.jpg

And here's King Kong from above.
image20726.jpg

Forgot to post this shot showing that the roots of CSSH are already bursting out of the bottom of the smartpots. They both are showing roots.
image20729.jpg

Proof positive of the effectiveness of the SWICK. Watch them really take off now. Once you see those roots coming through you should see explosive growth. You can break these off without any concern. It won't damage the plant at all and will keep the roots from entangling in your lava rock.

Great sight ClosetPharmer.

Definitely going with SWICK my next go around...I just need to find a tray big enough to put my new 10gallon container in...

See if you can find a large kitty litter pan.

Back
Top Bottom