Bag Seed critique

dirtybud

Hi everyone. This is my first post about my first grow. It's from bag seed. I started these to get my practice time in. (I now have Fantaseeds Northern Lights, Dinafem White Widow, Afghani Reg. and Heavyweight Superb OG in my seedling room.)

Anyway, if you saw this at 5 weeks into flowering, would you keep it or throw it out? It was indoor grown. 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter. They are firm and not squishy buds.
My goal is to NOT be growing mids. Do they look decent or crappy? I don't know much about the source of the seed. They guy is no longer around to ask. They are however strong plants and grow fast. It's supposed to be from a Medical grade.

There is a nice fruity smell to the buds that's really strong, too.

Other specs:

6x6 floor flowering room
2 plants
topping method: Lollipop / Scrogging
1 light
600 HPS
Day/Light: 12/12
water: dripper - soil kept moist
3 gal pots
25% peat 25% perlite 50% composted chicken manure and other organic material
bone meal pellets mixed in soil start of flowering.

2r559js.png

2n18jnp.png

59v8ed-001.jpg

animhg1.png

Huh. No I didn't. I read that the calyx swells and looks like seed. So I tried to pollinate one branch, but I didn't keep it covered. So I guess some floated. It has been frozen for 4 months. I guess it works. I'll keep an eye that bud for sure.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Well, I will definitely keep growing her. I can tell you a big lesson learned is the potency of pollen! I froze pollen from my male plant because it produced pollen for 3 weeks and died. So I collected and froze it immediately in a jar over the whole period everyday. I sprinkled a little on a female branch a couple weeks ago. And now I recall that I read to keep it covered with breathable material, such as a paper bag or wrapping paper for vegetables. However, I failed to do this thinking that it stuck to the plant and won't do any harm. Well, the tops of my buds seem to have seeded. Strongest where the fan was blowing over the buds. Makes sense.

Does anyone know what the seeds are called from a 2nd generation of bag seed? And can you tell if THC potency is strong by appearance? Or is the only way to tell by lighting up?

Resin is mostly opaque. I could hardly find any clear heads.
Well here are some more bud photos from my bag seed grow.
Day 39 into flowering.

IMG_4397.PNG

IMG_4400.PNG
IMG_4399.PNG
IMG_4398.PNG

If the resin is cloudy, it's pretty close to harvest time, I think. Don't take just my word for it, though. I've been known to harvest early on several occasions.

Re: Bag Seed critique and follow through

If the resin is cloudy, it's pretty close to harvest time, I think. Don't take just my word for it, though. I've been known to harvest early on several occasions.

I've been wondering about that. It seems ready. But it's only been 40 days. Why would it be ready so fast. Did I do something wrong to make it flower too fast? Does that decrease size potential of bud? Most flowering takes 50-80 days maturity, I've noticed.

I wish we could make flowers finish quicker, but alas, it's up to Mother Nature. Reading around, looks like it depends on what effect you like most from your medicine. If you want a little more headiness, I think you wait till about 5% are amber, and if you want more couch lock, until you get about 40% or so. But I see warnings that above 60% amber trichs, and THC breaks down. Hope that helps. Have a read aroudn the site before chopping, to make sure. ;)

Re: Bag Seed critique and follow through

I've been wondering about that. It seems ready. But it's only been 40 days. Why would it be ready so fast. Did I do something wrong to make it flower too fast? Does that decrease size potential of bud? Most flowering takes 50-80 days maturity, I've noticed.

Make sure you look at the trichomes on the bud. Don't look at trichomes on the leaves, they tend to mature much faster.

My last grow, I had 50% cloudy 50% amber on the leaves... and on the buds not a single amber. Clear is the first stage and is considered not ready, Cloudy is the second stage and is considered by most to be peak maturity, Amber is the final stage and signifies THC breakdown.

Day 44

My two plants from bag seed originally looked identical to me. Until now - during flowering. They're fall color appearance is like night and day.
While the green one smells more lemony and fruity, even during veg. stage. The purplish one smells more chemically. I think of fuel, when I'm around it. The bud is not purple. Only the leaves.
I guess I am going to have a huge seed harvest, soon. I will never try to pollinate only a branch, again.

If someone could attempt to identify some qualities, I would love to narrow it down by strain.

DSC_0578a.jpg
DSC_0583a.jpg
DSC_0587a.jpg

Not really impressive compared to some of the buds I see on here. But it was the first grow and harvest. I learned a lot. From bag seed. Please help me out with your suggestions. I was hoping to get lucky my first time and score big.
(Still playing with these until my NL and WW are big enough to flower.)

Looking for help with:

getting bigger buds (I'll start with better genetics) what next? Grow techniques. I read it. Is this just typical with bad genetics? I also feel like scrogging made the overall bud size small. I had lots of sites. 4 mo. of veg.

trimming: tight enough? or do I need to do better with leaves or whatever. Help me out.

THC presence. Does this look a decent and frosty?

Here's my grow room cleaned out.
DSC_06213.JPG

my bud size (it's ok, I'm not preoccupied with it ...)
DSC_06094.JPG

Buds (after I trimmed it, there was nothing left ... but sadness. LOL)
DSC_06113.JPG

DSC_06231.JPG
DSC_06175.JPG

I have gotten small buds too, last few harvests. But I think that it's seeded may have something to do with smaller flowers. Plant devotes lots of energy to reproduction when fertilized. That's actually its main purpose in life, reproduction. ;)

On the plus side.....PLANT THOSE SEEDS! :):high-five::cheer::goodjob:

IMG_5191.PNG

My second grow while added expansion is under construction. Anxious to start the flowering stage with the bag seed. I now have enough seed for many experiments and outdoor grows this summer. And they are feminized (thanks to my light leak accident.)

Back
Top Bottom