• Hi Emilya,

Got my MegaCrop just now. Am just about to water.......converting from Gallons to litres so am guessing 10g for 2 gallons would be suitable for now? should i start a bit less ? Also do I Ph the water before or after or just check before and after to be sure?
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    start off at a 4g/gallon rate and lets see how they do with it. Not every plant is going to need even 5g. In soil there is no need to pH adjust the mix as long as it is between 5-7 pH, but the science seems to suggest that the closer you are to the internal pH of the plant, 6.1pH, the better it works.
    Antonio Bandido
    Antonio Bandido
    ok gotcha thanks...;p
    Hi Emilya, so I’ve been away you know breaking bones getting surgery for said bones and am finally up to figuring out the Fox Farms 3 part Gringo Rasta ok omg clueless. Been guessing, not sure how to flush before harvest ‍♀️ totally need a step by step for dummies....lmao
    Please help. Girls are good though, much bigger than the last pics(about 14-16inches tall) but Charlie Brown Christmas looking
    Hi Emilya. Tomorrow is the big day and I'm planning to follow your method by putting a screw through the base of the plants, followed by extended darkness. I was also going to give them an ice water drink. My question is with timing and so forth. My lights come on at 7am and I wanted to ask you if I should leave the lights on all day after I put the screw in, or should I shut them off right away? This is my first harvest and I really appreciate your advice. Thank you!
    meffa
    meffa
    One last question..... Is there a preferred temp & humidity you like during the dark period? My day temps have been running 75-79f & 55% humidity and my night temps have been around 64-66f & 65% humidity.
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    you should be fine... I have not experimented with any special conditions during this phase of the grow
    Reactions: meffa
    meffa
    meffa
    Thank you, I appreciate your time helping me.
    Hello Emilya,

I was searching online about the science behind cannabis leaves pointing upwards and "praying" when happy and am glad I found your posts. I'm a grower and like yourself I have an Economics degree and live in Missouri.

When I see a plant praying, I assume it's receiving everything it needs (light, nutrients, CO2, and has a proper VPD.) The plants will be growing vigorously and have healthy, green leaves.

I've seen this praying in rooms on each of 200+ plants (different strains, all in flower, and receiving a range of light from 650 μmols in the room's corners to 1100 at the middle.)

I first saw this praying when an AC unit had a refrigerant leak and heat in the room rose to the mid-80 F. We usually tried to keep temps between 73 F and 79 F.

The higher temp increased CO2 intake but most importantly I believe optimized transpiration by creating the ideal VPD.

I read a comment you made on the forum:

"the leaves are getting enough energy from the light to evaporate enough water from the leaves so as to create maximum suction up through the roots, giving you maximum uptake of water and nutrients from the soil."

This is a great answer and I thank you for it.

Out of curiosity, are you working in Missouri's medical cannabis program?

Best regards,

Matt Holland
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    Hi Matt! I used to live over that direction, in Kirkwood to be exact... but that was a lifetime ago. Thank you for the comments regarding what I wrote about "praying!" It gives me hope that in doing an online search, it brought you to this forum and to me. I do get a lot of hits on my watering article, and it pleased me that some of my other pontifications are garnering some hits for this forum too! It is very interesting that you noted an increase in "praying" after your cooling accident, while accidentally hitting a perfect VPD. I too have seen this happen, and I have also noted that an extremely good air exchange rate and good fans in the room can also allow for the amount of evaporation needed, even outside of the perfect VPD ranges.
    I am not at present involved in any aspect of the MO Medical program other than as an activist, but I would like to be. Of course my perfect spot would be as a grow supervisor somewhere, but so far the right opportunity has not presented itself. I am pretty sure there are restrictions here about posting email addys, so I am not going to post mine, but I may have accidentally clicked on yours and generated an email to you while I was pondering this. You do have me interested.
    bebecillo
    bebecillo
    hi Emilya, any link to your posts? I really wanna know more but don't know where to start
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    Hello Emilya, it was suggested i come to you with my plant issue and maybe you would be able to help. I hope you can.
    My plant is a 5-alive sativa grown in destiny super soil. Fed fish fertilizer 5-1-1, and realgrowers recharge alternating between waterings. Kept in a greenhouse. The newer growth I'm getting is deformed and leaves are yellowing up the center. Some leaves have a yellowing leopard print on them. In general the plant looks very healthy. The plants were up potted about a week ago from 3 gal to 7 gal. I dont PH my water, but let the tap water sit for at least 24 hours to dechlorinate. Thanks in advance for your help. I wish I knew how to attach the photos? I'm sorry. They were in my original post.
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    I have answered you back in your post.... my first thought is they are getting a sunburn
    Hey, just a quick one... should my pants start to show some signs of stress towards the end due to the fact it literally is getting to the end of their life? Ie. Some yellowing, weak looking leaf with some drop off and odd spots of brown on a few leaves?
    im taking maybe 2-3% of the plant and maybe 5-10% of whole crop.
    Thanks @Emilya as always in advance as I’m sure you will have been here before and can offer some good vibe info
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    should they? no. Mine generally do not... but it does happen. Sometimes we never know why, but just try to feed them as best you can all through their life and realize that all things are cumulative, both the good and the bad.
    Hi Emilya,
    I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on grow container sizing as related to the used of MC with autos. I want to used MC with an auto in a 7g pot but wonder if I'd be better off going with a 5g or even smaller to keep the wet/dry cycle shorter thus having more opportunities to adjust MC levels. As a secondary question, with nutrients being so easy for the plant to gorge on, is there a need for the same quantity of roots?

Love reading your stuff!

Thanks
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    in the short and accelerated life of an Auto, it is extremely hard to develop strong enough roots to justify a 7 gallon container, and yes, by using one you are going to have to adjust to a much longer wet/dry cycle. I think 3 or 5 gallon containers are about perfect for a fast running Auto, so as to get more opportunities to apply nutes and with these fast running plants, you don't run out of space for the roots.
    Hey emilya
    Hope you doin well
    I have a question Im running organic grow, What is best ph down ? I have sulfuric acid 50%
    Is it safe to use in organic soils and nutrients?
    I tried vinegar but some dude said it wont hold the ph for long n will buffer up again
    So what is best for my organic grow? :circle-of-love: :thanks: :hug: :kiss:
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    yes, you are using organic nutrients, but you are not growing organically, you are instead feeding from a bottle. Despite their advertising, AN is not organic growing. It might be natural, but organic growing does not need nutes from a bottle.
    AdaminCO
    AdaminCO
    Another pH down option is lemon juice, Baking soda for pH up.
    Reactions: Km021
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    I like pickling lime or even lye for pH up... it has an ooomph to it.
    Hi Emila, I am starting my second grow. Thanks for all your help on the first. It came out great. The clones I got this time were planted in the soil with the rock wool cubes. At this point a few days the roots are not yet established in the soil. I water as your instruction, however now the top of the pot is dry yet the bottom is not yet. I think I need to keep the top wet until the roots establish in the soil?
    Hi Emily’s, my name is Jody (aka Yamamama) I was told you are the lady I need. I am a “newbie” my husband is a big smoker and I am a medicinal user. I bought some Autoflower seeds easy grower(yeah right) I followed all instructions to the letter (soaked seeds for 14hrs, places in paper towel to grow 1/2-1” tap root, planted tap root down, germinated and popped out no problem) now I’m having problems. I have 3rd and 4th leave yellowing, it would seem they are a tad stunted for their age ( 17 days old now) one seems to be recovering from whatever went wrong the other 5 are hmmhahh alive? They are outdoor in a large pot(should be big enough for their life cycle approx 3.5 gallon pots with drainage) I let them get fresh air all day approx 24.27 degrees Celsius outside during the day & at night I put them in a self made greenhouse, but they stay on the ground under it. I have been watering approx 50-75 mls every second third day. They are planted in a seed starter type potting soil nothing complicated that’s for sure. I’m not sure where I’m going wrong?? Please help.
    AdaminCO
    AdaminCO
    She’s in MG organics with seedlings. They almost looked burned to me. Do you think MG from the bag is too hot for seedlings?
    AdaminCO
    AdaminCO
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    If the watering is not correct and the roots have to sit in water that is quite potent because of all the organic goodness and fertilizers in the MG, then of course the "hotness" of the soil is a factor. If a plant is watered correctly, the roots should be able to adapt and thrive in this rich environment. I have started many a plant in a very "hot" (I prefer the term "rich") soil, with no difficulties at all.
    Hey queen E , hope doin fine.
    There is a question, could you please help ❤
    Grow type : Organics (light soil with EC 1.3 - hot soil with EC 2.1)

my tap water comes with 220 ppm ph 7.5
    n recently i have found a mineral drinking bottled water in market that comes with ppm 30 , ph7.89 contains calcium and magnesium.

Also i have GHE Calcium magnesium

???which one do you recommend for feeding ?!

???if the mineral bottled water is acceptable for feeding ,can i use a lower ppm mineral water without calcium magnesium in it? ( i mean can i add GHE cal mag to the bottled water that missing cal mag ?

Sorry for my weak language skill hope you have got what im tryin to say☹
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    I think either source of water is ok, and I would use whichever one is easiest and cheapest for you. The tap water will be ok since you are not attempting a full organic supersoil grow and since chlorine is not going to be a problem. Chances are that your plants are going to need a lot more calcium and magnesium than you can supply in the waters anyway. You will most likely need to use your GHE supplement, no matter which water you choose.
    Km021
    Km021
    Tnx Emilya ❤
    So i think bottled water with lower ppm is fine! as you said tap water is not ok for full organic grow, right?! So mineral water is better for full organic gro.

Could you please tell me which stages are common for cal mag deficiency?! I mean should i add cal mag to my first week feeding or during every feed ?Or have to wait till the cal mag deficiency pops out ?
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    There is no such thing as a cal mag deficiency, you are either deficient in calcium or magnesium. Until you start seeing leaf damage indicating one or the other, you should not use your supplement. Let's define a full organic grow. It is when you are using a minerally enriched soil that has everything in it that the plants should need, and then by using nothing but water and microbes from compost teas, feeding your plants naturally all through the grow. Your light soil is not going to be able to accomplish this, so you are NOT running a true full organic grow and tap water is going to be just fine. What nutrients do you plan to use?
    Hey, how you doing? Just wondering if you’ve ever seen anything like this and can explain it? (See pic to follow) I’ve chosen this lady to be a mom for me and was into pre flower and spent 3 days on 12/12 (due to last min setup issues) but then straight back to 18/6 and obviously has her own space.... she’s been on 18/6 and segregated for 3 weeks with exactly the same conditions she’s always had (Which I believe to be as close to optimum as one can have, but just noticed these little bumps on the top leaves but it looks like super tough thc bits.....
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    Yes, it does appear to be trichomes... I bet when allowed to flower, her children are huge producers of these resin glands. I sure don't see anything wrong with this, and yes, some plants do start producing the resin glands quite early. She is just showing you that she is ready to go!
    W
    WilsonGardener
    Great stuff.... I’m slowly taking babes from her at a rate of 4/5per week and I’ve had to lift my light as she’s getting abit tall for the space... would it be ok to top her to keep her low and shruby or would you just let her run wild?
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    I would definitely top her. That just makes her wider.
    Hello Emilya,

As agreed I put new images of our plants so you can observe their condition.
    Our plants have already been in the closet for 11 days.
    In these last 3 days what we have been doing is watering the plants at night in circles, before the light goes out, around 500ml at most in all of them (sorry for this explanation =D)
    Just for once, we completely fill the water vessels and do not use any type of nutrient. That was in the first day of we put them in the closet.

Have a nice day ;)
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    yes, I would imagine that your containers feel as light as air right now and indeed the moisture meter shows that the water table has fallen way down to the end of the probe tips. You have also noticed that some of the leaves are now at less than a horizontal alignment, and you are probably noticing that this droop is moving from the bottom of the plant, upward. It is the proper time to water fully, to saturation, or to runoff. Go slow so you don't stop at a false runoff... try as hard as you can to get as much water into your plants as that soil can hold.
    :goodjob:
    N
    NewbieToPro
    Hi Emilya,

How are you?
    Today has passed one week that we put our plants into flowering and prounig. They look really nice and healthy but we think we should remove the big fan leafs from the top cause light cant pass tro the lower buds.
    Should we do it ? another question is if you follow the lunar calender? we read something about help in plants recovery =D

Thanks,
    Best regards ;)
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    Those big leaves also provide a lot of energy toward building your buds so I would be very reluctant chopping on them. A little bit of trimming is ok, but don't go crazy with it.
    Hello , I am in week 6 of flowering and I am having some white powder mildew issues ! I have purchase plant therapy but I don’t like how it looks afterwards all shinny ! I am thinking about baking soda and water ? My humidity is at 47 -52 % with lights on and off its 47% ! Any advise
    Southerncough
    Southerncough
    I've heard you can use milk...
    PE636
    PE636
    Milk diluted ten to one, requires sunlight to be effective. Has worked well for me in the past.
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    I would tend to trust a commercial well made and researched product over some bro science remedy. I am sorry you don't like the way it looked afterward but please don't take this to be enough justification to try something else. This product will probably work well.
    Hey there Emilya, since I've postded "Week 5, yellow leaves looking for suggestions" I've followed your suggestion to give Bloom nutrients to my starving plants (PH is also correct now). However I'm still losing a lot of lower leaves after 6/7 days and I would like to know if this can be considered "normal". I also have a very small growbox (47 inches tall) and the top of my Chees XXL is very close to my LED LED TGL STAR 60. Now top leaves show these signs too:

Please let me know if you have any idea!

Thanks
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    They are still playing catchup, but are looking better. The damage on the top leaves looks like calcium might be lacking.. I would add some more calmag. Keep doing what you are doing... they are recovering... slowly.
    Reactions: Kust
    K
    Kust
    Thank you again, just ordered Cal-Mag! So that thing cannot be caused from the light right? the total distance it's like 4 to 5 inches in total right now! Have a great day :)
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    No, that looks like classic calcium deficiency... lighting would cause leaf deformation or bleaching if it was too close or strong.
    Reactions: Kust
    Hey, so I’m just waiting on some foliar organic seaweed to come so I can spray a poorly lady to hopefully bring her back in line... anyway, should it only be applied to the one plant that’s not in the best shape? It seems to have soo many benefits I’ve been wondering if I can mist all my girls for a little boost of goodness for them all? If this is a good thing for even healthy ones, I’ve been thinking of either putting it into my humidifier (not neat though obvs) and giving it them vape style so they take in what they want as opposed to having it on their leaves, or if foliar is the best way, then doing a late mist of the whole crop just before they go into dark mode so they can take it in without getting any scotch from the light.... any thoughts or knowledge on this?
    Thanks in advance and not trying to always push the boundaries with this stuff just a smarter not harder mentality and on my first steep learning curve journey of discovery lol
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    Hi Wilson, foliar feeding with something like this is very beneficial, but as in all things, moderation is the key. The problem in the grow room is the moisture. In the dark it promotes mold and mildew... in the light it can burn your plants. Having it constantly in the air is just asking for problems, so the humidifier is not at all a good idea... you are thinking of adding moisture to food... just think of all the things that could grow in there.
    No, the best way to do this is right before lights out, and then with good fan action in there to help evaporate the moisture before it becomes a problem. The good stuff will remain on the leaves and will do its job just fine.
    W
    WilsonGardener
    Great thanks for the advice, i have the humid/de on a control anyway to try and keep it at optimal so I’m sure with the fans and dehumid etc it should get away what’s not wanted.... I’ll be going in weak mix anyway, and a little and often type of regime to see what is positive effect etc
    Hey emilya im back again
    As usual ‍
    Wanted to know about suitable water ppm ranges, my tap water ppm is 155,
    Is this suitable for my auto? also im looking for a reverse osmosis to purchase, if its too high for my plants i will order one , if its ok and suitable i will save money ‍ ❤️
    Ravensman8
    Ravensman8
    Until you get a reverse osmosis system set up, stop worrying. I’m at115 ppm, and prior to this Coronavirus crap, I just used distilled water. HOWEVER... since CPacs use distilled water to clean... are you willing to take it out of their hands??? Yeah, me either. So... wesuck it up, and persevere! You’ve got this!
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    I don't know anything about ppm... being a soil grower, ppm has never been important to me and I don't even own a working meter.
    TurboBucket
    TurboBucket
    150 starting ppm is ok. The most important thing though is knowing what that 150 is, are you on municipal water or a well? Is that after a water softener?

You can usually find free water tests if you look around. They will test your water and tell you exactly what is in it and how much.
    Hey emilya , hope you doing well .
    Actually i always have a big confusion when ever i want to make a grow medium for cannabis or my veggies ☹
    *First : how should i make a good medium for my plant ?!
    I have : organic composed + coco + perlite + yard’s dirts.
    Do you have a suggestion for mixing these?
    *second : my composed ph fixed by 5 -6.5 as the factory details, if i mix my composed with coco , what will happens to the ph range? Dose it change?
    My tap water ph is 7.5
    How can i adjust the ph after mixing composed with coco? I mean what ph number should i adjust for my water to feed my pots? Sorry for my weak language skills ☹

And last one : one of my autos have a very slow growth , i set the water ph around 6.4
    To feed her , i think its bcz of coco mix ph that i mix in my composed making disorders , so how can i measure my medium ph? Too many problems ☹️
    Emilya Green
    Emilya Green
    if you want your grow to act more like a hydro grow and operate in that lower pH range, make your mix 70% coco. If you wish to run it as soil, operating in the lower 6.2-6.8 range, make your mix 70% soil and compost.
    Km021
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom