1 Plant vs 4 Plants per 100w light. Why?

jtingato

Can someone explain to me the benefits or downfalls of putting more than one plant under a light?

Let's say I have one 1000 watt fixture. That fixture is on for 12 hours and off 12 hours. During the on period, the light is generating a certain amount of photons that can be absorbed into the plant(s) which photosytnesizes into energy for the plant to grow. If every photon is absorbed by one plant - ( a perfect scenario) and all other conditions are met, that plant will mature, flower, and yield a given quantity

Now take the same scenario and add another plant, each plant can now only absorb 1/2 the light fixtures produced photons, producing 1/2 the energy and... 1/2 the yield. With 3 or 4 plants... well you get the picture.

So my question is why put more than one plant under a light? Wouldn't you be better off nuturing one great plant instead of 4 ok plants? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Can anyone shed some light?... (pun intended)

I think it comes down to quantity vs quality. Growing one you will probably get better buds while growing four will give you a higher yield

ur thinking about it laterally but it is indeed not the case.

If a plant (in ur scenario) has another plant next to it taking 1/2 the "Photons", ie: Lumens then the plants would again, (in ur case scenario) both b smaller by way of less photosynthesis.
But u have a plant that u say collects all light like a black hole, if this where true it would absorb all light, then it would b void of light in ur grow room, dark.

I agree with Love1Fear. Your assumption that one plant will absorb 100% of the light is incorrect. It won't.

Plants will take what ever light falls on the leaves. With 1000 watt HPS/MH your grow space is about 10x10 (grow space, not misc space where you keep your fans, pumps, nuts...). The light will cover that much space on a horizontal plane at about 4 to 6 feet from the bulb. While you might be able to get a single plant to cover that much space (maybe using SCROG of something), it won't get there over night. I would think at least 6 to 8 weeks veg and 8 to 10 weeks flower might get you there.

So where is the light going that the first plant didn't get straight out from the bulb? It bounces around in the room, loosing energy each time it hits a surface and reflects back out again. After two hits, the energy is way to low to be of much use. Only photons directly from the bulb is what you want in the horizontal plane. Then you want as many leaves as you can get in that plane.

I can grow four plants in a 2x4 space, using 6 105 watt of CFL's. When I started using SCROG (getting more leaves in direct line of sight to the bulb), it results in a larger yield.

HTH....
Prairie

Back
Top Bottom