13 hour light cycle

johnehazeharvester

I have 11 plants in approximate 5x4 space which is a lot, so I flowered out early. I wanted to give them a little bit more light. So left a 13 hour on and 11 hour off light schedule but I think a few of my plants are getting very stretchy. skunk #1 keeps trying to get above the light. Durban poison is right behind it. Anyone have experience with this light cycle? I think I will switch back to 1212

PXL_20231106_115524691.jpg

but I think a few of my plants are getting very stretchy.
Are you doing any early flower training such as a form of supercropping? Anything like bending over those tall single stalks so that each node starts to become a "cola"?

And start spraying all the plants to keep the insects under control. When the plants are packed in like they are there in the photo the insects will be jumping from plant to plant weeks before the harvest starts.

So far no bugs. I tried bending them but I broke off of the main cola from my CBD so I kind of stopped. I try not to spray in flower. I keep yellow stickies for fungus gnats. I will carefully try some light lst. The last week I gave them more potassium silicate so maybe the stems will be a bit stronger will update you.

Are you doing any early flower training such as a form of supercropping? Anything like bending over those tall single stalks so that each node starts to become a "cola"?

And start spraying all the plants to keep the insects under control. When the plants are packed in like they are there in the photo the insects will be jumping from plant to plant weeks before the harvest starts.
I bent the 2 tallest down. Stems seemed much stronger since I started using the silicate about 2 weeks ago.

PXL_20231106_231757801.jpg

I tried bending them but I broke off of the main cola from my CBD so I kind of stopped.
I bent the 2 tallest down. Stems seemed much stronger since I started using the silicate about 2 weeks ago.
I noticed that the stems were bent over as soon as I saw the new photo. The bending looks good and should give some nice even spacing between the canopy and the lights.

The stronger the stem the more likely it seems that it will snap when bending. There are a couple of tricks to bending stems that I have read about. The one I like is to gently crush the stem where I want the bend to be. Then slowly bend it over and once level tie a small weight or two on it to keep the plant from straightening out. Others have made special tools to help; often using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the stem and then slowly bending the stem over. The pliers end up acting like a pipe bender.

So far no bugs.
I try not to spray in flower.
I have a perpetual grow going and have been battling mites for years. I brought it up because it looked like some insect damage showing on leaves in the lower portion of your first photo. Maybe left over from the vegetating stage. If insects get a chance they will take over. When the plants are touching each other like that they can move from one to the next in no time at all.

There are several insect sprays that are supposed to be safe up to the day of harvest. They are often made using natural ingredients and have no effect on the the plants except to kill off the targeted insects.

I noticed that the stems were bent over as soon as I saw the new photo. The bending looks good and should give some nice even spacing between the canopy and the lights.

The stronger the stem the more likely it seems that it will snap when bending. There are a couple of tricks to bending stems that I have read about. The one I like is to gently crush the stem where I want the bend to be. Then slowly bend it over and once level tie a small weight or two on it to keep the plant from straightening out. Others have made special tools to help; often using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the stem and then slowly bending the stem over. The pliers end up acting like a pipe bender.

I have a perpetual grow going and have been battling mites for years. I brought it up because it looked like some insect damage showing on leaves in the lower portion of your first photo. Maybe left over from the vegetating stage. If insects get a chance they will take over. When the plants are touching each other like that they can move from one to the next in no time at all.

There are several insect sprays that are supposed to be safe up to the day of harvest. They are often made using natural ingredients and have no effect on the the plants except to kill off the targeted insects.
Thanks for the advice. The leaves of 3 of my plants were damaged from user error. 3 of the plants in the room were clones from my outdoor grow 2 ak-47 and 1 z99. I was trying to get practice making clones but decided to flower them out. Unfortunately I sprayed them with bleach that was in a similar spray bottle to my foliar spray. They somehow didn't die and are flowering nicely. I don't think I have any bug damage. I do have some fungus gnats that are remaining few in numbers. I flowered clones about 3 weeks before the rest of my plants. I want to keep them going for 2-3 more weeks. After that I should have a bit more space. Door to the room opens in and I could barely get in to water. I need to stop my late nigh snacking. Maybe I should get some THCV seeds as I hear they suppress your appetite.

I have 11 plants in approximate 5x4 space which is a lot, so I flowered out early. I wanted to give them a little bit more light. So left a 13 hour on and 11 hour off light schedule but I think a few of my plants are getting very stretchy. skunk #1 keeps trying to get above the light. Durban poison is right behind it. Anyone have experience with this light cycle? I think I will switch back to 1212

PXL_20231106_115524691.jpg
14 hours or less for a photo will be considered flower.
A more natural transition into flower can produce more.
This last run I cut a half an hour every 4 days from 18-6 until 12-12.
Then near the finish line my time would be shortened even more getting down to 10-14 for a week or so .

Enjoy and good luck with your grow.

you're going the wrong way if you are speeding flower up. i run diminishing schedules with long running sativas. day/ night schedule is 12/12 - 11/13 and finally finishing at 10 / 14. i space the reductions out by about 2 or so wks.

shortens flower by up to 4 wks or more on 120 day flower period plants. you need a strong light with enough to hit the dli on a reduced schedule to have it work proper.

you're going the wrong way if you are speeding flower up. i run diminishing schedules with long running sativas. day/ night schedule is 12/12 - 11/13 and finally finishing at 10 / 14. i space the reductions out by about 2 or so wks.

shortens flower by up to 4 wks or more on 120 day flower period plants. you need a strong light with enough to hit the dli on a reduced schedule to have it work proper.
Thanks Bluter! I will decrease lighting schedule by 15 minutes every few days and first get down to 11 hours then decrease. I have 2 200 watt LEDs in the room. Not sure it is enough

Thanks Bluter! I will decrease lighting schedule by 15 minutes every few days and first get down to 11 hours then decrease. I have 2 200 watt LEDs in the room. Not sure it is enough

it might be enough. to compare i ran 600w of old style cob led on the last run in about a 4x4. went all the way to 10/14.

full

5 plants in 5L hempy buckets.
you don't necessarily have to go all the way to 10/14 either.

I'm at 11 3/4 hours lights on. Added about 1/16 tsp of ammonium phosphate to my 1 gallon feeds. Trying to get better bud development. The far back middle plant is Durban Poison from seed supreme. I noticed @Gee64 is also doing a Durban Poison run. His buds are way more developed than mine. He did pop his seeds about 2 weeks before me which may be a small factor. I do synganic feeds with added nutrients of 500-600 ppm with various homemade Jadam and KNF inputs. In effort to keep an even canopy, I have bent some more of the tall girls down and built some stools. Also wondering if 2 200 watt LEDs is not enough for the jungle in my closet. Ppfd on the clones at the edges of grow is only about 500.

PXL_20231111_001434501.jpg

PXL_20231111_120221591.jpg

PXL_20231111_000711920.jpg

it's looking fantastic.
Thanks!. They are coming along. Can't wait till the end of the month to remove my 3 clones. Floor space is getting quite diminutive. One of skunks is still quite lanky. It's the one I used for some selective branch pollination now I am second guessing myself, I should have chose the other. But it does have one of thickest stems so I suspect it has great root development. It's so interesting to run many different cultivars at once. The Durban Poison, CBD and Black Opal x Zkittles drinks at least twice as much as many of theirs. My pineapple Express x OG Kush cross I made has some nice stacking flowers. Cant wait to sample that one.

Some varieties will continue to stretch into the fifth or sixth week of flowering. Bending them at this stage can often cause breaks if not done carefully, as the stalks, except for the part still stretching, have hardened by now. It's best to understand your variety and start low-stress training (LST) earlier. Another suggestion is to veg for shorter periods for those varieties leaning more towards the sativa side, especially when growing indoors. I typically veg for 10-25 days, depending on the variety, to manage plant height effectively.

Some varieties will continue to stretch into the fifth or sixth week of flowering. Bending them at this stage can often cause breaks if not done carefully, as the stalks, except for the part still stretching, have hardened by now. It's best to understand your variety and start low-stress training (LST) earlier. Another suggestion is to veg for shorter periods for those varieties leaning more towards the sativa side, especially when growing indoors. I typically veg for 10-25 days, depending on the variety, to manage plant height effectively.
Thanks. So far I have only messed up with CBD plant. The other ones have taken well to it. In future, may try Kushman's chiropractics

That’s possibly calcium deficiency

Back
Top Bottom