1st Annual Michigan Caregivers Cup - Jan. 30-31

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The 1st Annual SGS Michigan Caregiver’s Cup will be held January 30th - 31st, 2010, at the Marriott at Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, MI!

In recognition and celebration of legalized medical marijuana, a medicinal cannabis competition event will take place as part of a grand event featuring a variety of vendors, including our main sponsor Superior Growers Supply, Inc.

This will be Michigan’s first event of its kind, and a rare opportunity anywhere to meet and hear from representatives of all major legal marijuana-based industries.

The Industrial Hemp Industry will be well represented and educational material will be available and discussions on how this industry has a positive economic influence in areas where it is legal and the potential it could have for creating jobs and contributing to the revival of the economy in Michigan.

Anti-Prohibition activists and educators will offer information and discussion concerning the possibility and conditions of “Amsterdam” style districts in some municipalities, full legalization with regulation, the potential economic impact, and offer further education on recreational use, particularly how it compares to already legal substances.

Of course, if it were not for nearly 2/3 of the voters of Michigan, coming out in support in numbers never seen before, to firmly demonstrate the desire and need for legal medicinal marijuana, this event would not be possible. There will be vendors of all related components and educational seminars on a wide range of subjects and issues related to the legal medicinal marijuana industry in Michigan. Topics from forming a caregivers business, history of medicinal marijuana and marijuana laws, current state of the law in Michigan, producing medicinal grade marijuana, harvesting, curing and different processes and forms of medicinal cannabis and their common applications will all be discussed at length.

This event will be hosted by The Michigan Marijuana Chamber of Commerce. There will be an extensive and exciting list of guest speakers.

The Superior grower’s Michigan Caregivers Cup is Michigan’s only event of its kind in The Great Lake State, and we aim to make this an annual celebration. The opportunity to see what our Caregiver’s have been producing for their patients, as well as representatives from all over educating us on the various aspects of current legal medicinal marijuana, the extensive uses and economic potential of Industrial Hemp, and anti-prohibition activists explaining the economic and social benefits of full legalization. We look forward to seeing you there!

Check back often for information on the Cannabis cup and how to enter or become a judge. Always remember, that we support the concept of staying within the parameters of the law. If we do not comply, we can hurt our chances significantly of realizing the potential of legal cannabis. Please be aware of all applicable laws and obey them.

More Info: Michigan Caregivers Cup 2010 :: Superior Growers Supply, Inc. :: Michigan Marijuana Chamber of Commerce

Please be aware that the organization thats hosting this event is looking to get more regulations put in place to regulate where we patients can grow our own medical cannabis.

Anthony Freed one of the founding members says they were misquoted in this recent ann arbor post interview but read it for yourself sure doesnt look that way to me they even go as far as to use scare tactics to sell their point .

I for one will not be attending this caregivers cup event nor will i ever support anyone who tries to alter michigans current medical marijuana law.:peace:

Please be aware that the organization thats hosting this event is looking to get more regulations put in place to regulate where we patients can grow our own medical cannabis.

Anthony Freed one of the founding members says they were misquoted in this recent ann arbor post interview but read it for yourself sure doesnt look that way to me they even go as far as to use scare tactics to sell their point .

I for one will not be attending this caregivers cup event nor will i ever support anyone who tries to alter michigans current medical marijuana law.:peace:

Caregiver's Cup: Ypsilanti to host marijuana competition

Ypsilanti Township will play host to what's being billed as the nation’s largest cannabis competition next month.

The inaugural “Caregiver’s Cup” invites medicinal marijuana growers to bring their buds to the Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest Jan. 30-31. They'll have the opportunity to be crowned the best pot grower by certified patients prescribed to use medicinal marijuana.

Organizers with the Michigan Marijuana Chamber of Commerce expect nearly 30,000 guests throughout the weekend. They're using the competition to raise public and political awareness on the recent legalization of medicinal marijuana in the state.

They say that while legalization of the plant is a positive development, the industry burgeoning around it needs greater oversight.

“There are so many gray areas in the law that there needs to be greater regulation,” said Darrell Stazros, director of corporate sponsorship for the MMCC. “There have been caregivers who are taking advantage of patients.”

Under the law, patients have the written approval of a doctor to use the plant for relief from cancer, multiple sclerosis, paraplegia or other medical conditions.

Caregivers are those licensed by the state to grow up to 12 plants for up to five patients. But no oversight agency checks on where or how they grow the plant, which Stazros calls one of the problems.

Stazros said the product suffers and safety risks increase if plants are grown in poor conditions by people uneducated in the process, leaving room for abuse of the law. Anyone who doesn't have a drug-related felony can complete a course and become a caregiver.

“If you’re in a neighborhood, would you want your neighbor’s house full of weed? Probably not, but that’s what’s going on,” Stazros said. “We are 100 percent pro-marijuana, but we do need to think there needs to be regulations involved.”

The MMCC envisions designated growing zones where caregivers can grow their plants, while keeping them all in one spot to improve oversight. It would also allow authorities to keep tabs on who is growing the plants.

Stazros cited an example of a 55-year-old Detroit woman who allowed a 21-year-old man to be her caregiver. The man promised to provide her with her medicine, but instead began demanding money and sex for it.

“Situations like that happen all the time, and that’s where there needs to be regulations on caregivers,” he said. “Things like that shouldn’t be happening.”

While discussion on the medicinal marijuana industry and how to shape it is one major component of the weekend, the competition is the big draw.

The 100 caregivers entering the contest are asked to provide 2.5 ounces of marijuana to the panel of 140 judges. They'll ingest, smoke or vaporize the pot in designated areas in or outside the hotel that are open only to patients.

Judges will be grouped according to their recognized illness, with the purpose of allowing doctors to examine them and ask questions about the effects.

Anthony Freed, executive director of the MMCC, said that's unprecedented in this type of venue.

“These questions are going to be asked and, with a little research, are going to be answered,” he said. “It seems like such an inconsequential thing, but we can say for the first time physicians will be working one-on-one. When you think about it, that’s a big step away from where we were 12 or 24 months ago.”

The information collected will be used to research the medical benefits of the plants and for pharmaceutical development.

Freed and Stazros expect the crowd to include a strange blend of tie-dye and suit-and-tie types. Stazros said one prominent state Republican legislator may announce his candidacy for the U.S. Senate, but declined to say who.

The organizers are also working carefully to ensure law enforcement is on board.

The MMCC has already met with and received support from Washtenaw County law enforcement agencies, as well as the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. Those agencies also are invited for a panel discussion.

Roughly 50 vendors will be on hand, and the weekend is filled with seminars on everything from hydroponics to accounting. Freed and Stazros have invited politicians at all levels and are framing the event as more of a jobs fair, as they believe the economic impact of the industry’s growth in the community could be significant.

“One of our goals is making politicians realize that someone is going to do it, and if it’s you, there is a financial windfall,” Freed said.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: annarbor.com
Author: Tom Perkins
Copyright: 2009 AnnArbor.com LLC
Website: Caregiver's Cup: Ypsilanti to host marijuana competition - AnnArbor.com

One has to wonder what their motivation is to try to nudge the MDCH into putting more regulations into place?

Also i think by them telling fairy tales of caregivers forcing themselves sexually on their helpless patients (which i for one think is bull) is just scare tactics to try to make their point more palatable to us patients .

I grow my own and do NOT want any interferance from LEO i respect the law only i use my meds and am always under my 12 plant limit .:rollit:

Patients in michigan need to know that the MMMC is not patient friendly they have their own agenda $$greed$$.

“If you’re in a neighborhood, would you want your neighbor’s house full of weed? Probably not, but that’s what’s going on,” Stazros said. “We are 100 percent pro-marijuana, but we do need to think there needs to be regulations involved.”

(We as in who ?)

Stazros cited an example of a 55-year-old Detroit woman who allowed a 21-year-old man to be her caregiver. The man promised to provide her with her medicine, but instead began demanding money and sex for it.

Stazros was put on call for making this inflamatory statement and was unable to prove that it was true so they use scare tactics to make their point without valid proof ?

Freed and Stazros do not represent me nor do they represent anyone but themselves and i for one do NOT want any more rules put into place that limits my cultivation of medical marijuana we had a poll vote on the MMMA site and over 70% of members agree we do not want the MMMA involved in this sham of an event.

Exactly how does this event further our cause?

As for superior grow supply i shop there exculsively and my beef is not with them .

I agree. These guys are doing everything they can in order to keep their names as the #1 source/open line of communication for the state goverment and press to bounce ideas off of. I gaurantee that these guys would be collecting rent/payments of some sort from caregivers if the laws change. Not to mention more costs and invasion of privacy for caregivers= more money for the patients medicine? Thanks

These two are the worst of worst trying to remove plant rights from patients who barely have enough money to buy cheap grow lights and pay their electric bill by forcing patients to assign an outside source as their caregiver .

When you try to monopolize the medical cannabis market and line your slimey pockets at the expense of poor sick people it just makes you look like a greedy crook to me.

Seeing that your not in michigan im sure it does sound repetative because its not your rights that will be affected by these two snake oil salesmen trying to overturn a law passed by 63% of michigan voters.

People need to be aware that these guys do not have michigan patients best interests in mind if im sounding like im beating a dead horse im sorry its because im scared to death someone might buy into this and eliminate home growing in my state and im disabled unemployed with little income and cannot afford to pay someone to grow my medicine growing my own is my right a right these two want to remove.

its almost worth staying illegal for a while longer , instead of giving up all your information , and wait and see what they decide , i dont want anyone comming to my place for some kind of inspection , stazros doesnt seem to really have the rite idea .............. smokr1

smokr1, you're right. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have registerd with the state. We just have to be smart about it, and not let them change the laws to screw over the little people. My uncle lives in Alaska where it was legal. He said "the only reason it's illegal now is, because all the pot heads forgot to vote". I haven't looked myself yet into the history of Alaska to find out the true reason.

ms. chump stain ............... i think im gonna hang out for a while longer with no card and see what happens , my neighbors would never know the house next door has weed in , it isnt that rule no.1 dont tell anyone , i would never grow it for free either its way to exspencive to grow to just give it away just because you can legally grow for someone ........... maybe the people in alaska forgot to wake up and vote cuz it never got light out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SMOKR1 ................:peace:

Back
Top Bottom