1st ever grow

Torque05

Hi everyone, just introduced myself on the new members and couldnt wait to get to this section, one of the main reasons for joining this site!

Im in the early stages of my first plant. Now if youre a pro id look away now because this is a complete beginner just testing out a few things to see if they work.

Ive decided to grow outside and im only growing one plant currently as its just an experiment to gather some info and knowledge untill i can afford to sort it out properly. Ive started with some Barneys Farm Red Diesel seeds, no particular reason. (i know i should have researched more but i liked the taste of it in amsterdam, the Diesels are to die for!) This is my third seed as i started the other two outside striaght away which ive now learnt is a tad on the risky side, especially with the climate where i am.

Now im on my 3rd seed and we have some progress. The only thing is im not sure if its going really well or just about holding on at the moment. Its been sat on my window sil most days and luckily its been nice and warm lately, so its getting alot of light, im now 4 weeks in since planting the germinated seed and have a couple of pictures for people to look at. As ive mentioned its just an experiment to see how things go so theres no high quality soil or nutrients, just some nice compost and organic tomato fertilizer which ive been adding for 2 or 3 days now.

IMG_0207.png

IMG_0206.png

All opinions and criticisms welcome, thanks for looking.

Enjoy yourselves. :smokin:

Re: 1st ever grow.

looking good.. :welcome:
you may want to check out a few threads here..

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

and

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

great stuff... read, read, read,, and ask questions.. :)

so, anyways, your little girl (well hopefully a girl) is looking good so far.. 4 weeks you say? how much light is it getting (hours a day)? seems small..

are you going to be putting putside for flower? are you supplementing with any light?

personally, for experimenting,, I would have used bagseed,, and saved the good ones for after ;) :goodluck:

Hi!

Cheers for the links i will certainly have a good read when i get the time (hopefully tomorrow). The light is from sunrise to sunset at the moment, which is around 16 hours a day over here in the UK. Unfortunatly the placement on my window sil, although south facing doesnt allow for direct sunlight for the whole 16 hours and doesnt allow for bad days. I was thinking it was looking small compared to some of the photographs ive seen and although new leaves are developing there are some much larger ones as fresh ones are growing, in some of the hyrdoponic grows ive seen the leaf growth seems much dencer early on.
When she grows a little more i was going to look at moving her outside into a larger pot, same side of the house so the light will stay the same but im a little worried that she wont survive the onslaught of the English weather.
Ive also toyed with the idea of a small bubbler set up indoors for the flowering period but again i dont have the lights/know how to be confident in doing so.
I wasnt sure how to supplement with light so that hasnt been done so far, i wouldnt know how to go about it well but if i could find a way to do it cheaply and discreetly it would be somthing id look into.

Thanks again for the information and the reply :grinjoint:

if she had more light (stronger) she would get a little more dense,, more growth,, but gfor wht you have, and where it is, you are doing pretty well. when does it start getting cold over there? don't know if you have the time to get it through flower ..

indoors, you don't need much,, you will see plenty of journals here people using 150 w hps, or even just a few cfl's (reading dome of the completed journals is a great way to fast forward through peoples grows and get some great knowledge)

roseman has some great grows with cfl's, and has a great tutorial about them.. CFL Light Tutorial

if you are limited on space, and need to keep costs down,, that may be a good way to go..

:goodluck:

Morning, just a little update, and question as always!

Plants going okay, i think its still pretty slow progress really, we've had 2 or 3 wet and overcast days and its been very windy out. Ive repotted the plant and it seems to have gone really well, no shock at all as far as i can tell.

On the bright side, ive taken Herb Zens' advice and have some cfl's arriving later today so hopefully should see a marked improvement in growth. :yahoo:

I do have one little question tho as on the first leaves theres some white/brown marks, one is particularly bad, the other isnt but doesnt look right as such... Any ideas? its been getting slightly worse now and im a bit concerned. :hmmmm:

Heres some more pics...

phpNA5XqsAM.jpg

phpz7h587AM.jpg

phpIwDQjBAM.jpg

This is the leaf in question. Sorry the pictures really bad, the phone doesnt like macro!

phpOo7VcOAM.jpg

phpBjqVHtAM.jpg

wow,, lots of new growth,, looks really healthy too, IDK about the leaf, but since the rest of the plant looks healthy, and it is just the first set after those fake baby leaves,, (starts with a "c",, can't remember the correct name right now)..

anyways, like I was saying,, since it is just those leaves,, I would not worry too much,, they usually die and fall off (for me anyways)

oh, and that sucks about the light,, you got is all cleaned up, and vacuumed right?,, don't want that stuff in the area,, or your house,, I think it has mercury and stuff in there... carefull with it :)

O crap... i knew i meant to do somthing. Cheers for the reminder, Ill have to go sort it. ill get a couple of pics of the lil tent i set up, bit worried about ventilation but it might work... haha... it was fun trying at least.

Ive ordered the new light and that should be here latest monday so thats all sorted. Just need to get the plant ready to be transfered. Cheers for all your help so far its nice just to have someone say its not looking like ive fecked it up by now. Fingers crossed its a girl!

O crap... i knew i meant to do somthing. Cheers for the reminder, Ill have to go sort it. ill get a couple of pics of the lil tent i set up, bit worried about ventilation but it might work... haha... it was fun trying at least.

Ive ordered the new light and that should be here latest monday so thats all sorted. Just need to get the plant ready to be transfered. Cheers for all your help so far its nice just to have someone say its not looking like ive fecked it up by now. Fingers crossed its a girl!

:rofl::rofl: I know how you feel.. lol

IMG_0247_1_.jpg

IMG_0252_1_.jpg

IMG_0251_1_.jpg

Just a couple more updated pictures. Since shes been moved upstairs shes loving life. Shes up to around 30-35cm now so ill probably give her another 4/5 weeks veg i think? Just rough guessing then it says 9 weeks flowering... so might try and squeeze another 2 out of that and get some lovely bud hopefully.

very nice, she looks healthy, and lots of nre growth. :bravo:
are you thinking of vegging for another 4 or 5 weeks? how long have you been veggin already? how much height do you have in your grow space? remember that your girl will stretch when first put into flower..
also, you don't want to go beyond the reccomended harvest time by too much,, just start looking at the trichs and they will tell you when it is ready to harvest.

Hey Torque she looks nice and happy under that cfl how many seeds do you have left you can pick up a plastic propergater for a couple of quid from home bargains and if you have a hydro shop near where you live clonex and some rockwool cubes whould cost you about £6.00 Barneys Farm Red Diesel sounds nice whould be a shame to lose the genetics :peace:

Ive got another 2 seeds left and looking at sorting out a single bubbler for the next plant, use the proper nutrients etc.

Well so far its only sitting at 30ish CM so i kind of want to get it to at least 40. I'm away for 6 days so ill be checking up on it when i get back and see where im at. A very close friend will be looking after it for me. I just dont want to rush into the flowering stage, im stupidly impatient so im trying my best to hold back at the moment and just watch it grow. Ive got 1.8M height in the grow room so thats not an issue and i cant see width being a problem if im honest.

Cheers for the comments guys.

Ive got another 2 seeds left and looking at sorting out a single bubbler for the next plant, use the proper nutrients etc.

Well so far its only sitting at 30ish CM so i kind of want to get it to at least 40. I'm away for 6 days so ill be checking up on it when i get back and see where im at. A very close friend will be looking after it for me.
that is nice that you have someone to be able to look after your little one
I just dont want to rush into the flowering stage, im stupidly impatient so im trying my best to hold back at the moment and just watch it grow.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: yeah, and it just gets worse from here,, you think it was hard before? just wait until those buds are full and yummy,, waiting those last 2 weeks is a b*tch haha :)
Ive got 1.8M height in the grow room so thats not an issue and i cant see width being a problem if im honest.

Cheers for the comments guys.

:goodluck: and hope you have fun while you are away :hookah:

Just worked out itll be 6 weeks on thursday of vegative growth. Theres no trichomes on it yet either. Whats the standard veging time on a plant then?

Just worked out itll be 6 weeks on thursday of vegative growth. Theres no trichomes on it yet either. Whats the standard veging time on a plant then?

most people go 3 to 4 weeks in veg I beleive,,
the longer you go, the bigger plant you will end up with,,

flower differs depending on strain,, most of mine are 7-9 week flower, I have one that is 10-12 weeks flower..

Hi again. Another little update with some pictures :)

Im looking to start flowering either thursday or friday. Plants up to a relativly decent size now, im just wondering what sort of yield ill get off it now :S should be quite interesting. Ive read up on the strain and it says 9 weeks flowering so should be ready sort of early october. Any tips for going into the flowering stage?

IMG_02629.jpg

IMG_02619.jpg

IMG_026311.jpg

some people give them an extra long dark period during the switch, like 24 hours of dark.. I have never done it, just passing on whatI have seen others do.

personally, I like to continue with veg nutes the first week of flower, before switching to flower nutes.

and your plants look very healthy, :) are you taking clones?
:goodluck:

I recently read about the dark period but I wasn't sure about the benefits of it. Just builds up the active chemical doesn't it? I'll probably just do the switch straight away, I'll keep with the veg nutes for a week then I've got some little drip feeders for flowering.
What do you think about investing in another fan for the flowering period? Just so those buds stay fresh?

I know I say it every time but thanks for the help herb zen. Couldn't have muddled through without it. Glad that it's still looking healthy to a seasoned professional like yourself. :)

I am glad to help, but am in no way a seasoned pro... (only been growing for a few months now) you have done just fine, and would have done just as well on your own, IMO, but :thanks: for the compliment :)

I have a small fan in the flower room for circulation, especially since my heat is so high.. It cannot hurt,, just a small one to aid in circulation,, you don't want them getting a beating... :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom