1st Grow, Cash Crop Auto Flower, Brown Leaves?

Mb12345

Hi this is my first grow, gonna make some mistakes I know i was just seeing if anyone knows why my initial 2 bottom leaves turned brown at tips and the leaf started to turn yellow. I have a female auto flower, Cash crop, from seedling to now it has been 16 days. I just have the auto a small amount of nutes big bloom because I started to notice 5-6 nodes. It is about 6" high and I think it looks healthy, I have the temp at 85 with 1 fan blowing from the top and 1 blowing on low from below just enough to let the leaves move. I have (1) 250 watt 6500k CFL and (2) 100 watt 4100k cfl about 1-2 inches away from the plant. I also have a humidity vent set up and it keeps the relative humidity at 35 approx. I have the lights on for 24hrs right now not sure if or when I should go to 18-6 but this is suppose to be a approx 70 day seed to flower auto flower, so not sure if it needs any darkness in veg or not.

I am a newbie and would appreciate any info or help or advice you could give me, I plan on giving it nutes 2 times per week and water every other day I have it in a 5 gallon breathe easy pot. I give it usually 1/2 gallon of water 3 tbsp of nutes seemed to really like it once I did all the leaves and roots perked up and I started noticing more starting.

I have some info on it below!

THANK YOU!!!'

Strain - Mainly indica (cream of the crop cash crop )
Genetics- northern lights x big bud x ruderalis
# of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 5 Gallon
Lights - (1) 250 watt 6500k CFL + (2) 100 watt 4100k CFL
Nutrients - Fox farms organic BIg bloom
Medium - perlite,peat moss,coco fibre,dolomite lime,mycorrhizae, organic mix
PH - 6.3 initial ( ph level after it soaked through soil and runoff was 6.3 still
RH - 35
Room Temperature -82-86
Room Square Footage - Room sq feet 24sqft 3x8x8
Pests - None Known

image23659.jpg

First, why did you go through the effort of building an organic soil then add fertilizer?

Second, if you are using nutes with your organic soil, hold off until at least week 4. That soil has everything it needs for at least the first month, if not the entire life of the planet. That strain should harvest in 8 or 9 weeks (or less) and honestly might never need any nute auditions. I'm running some autos right now in slightly amended FFOF and they are entering week seven with nary a nute. They're good looking plants and putting out a solid yield.

Just remember that you don't always need fertilizer, and when you do, feed light. Your soil should have everything it needs for this grow with minimal additions.

Ok I will try adding no nutes for a while then as I do not want to give it more then it needs, I also don't want to overwater, but I also don't want to under water I have a hard time telling when is the correct time too, because the plant and roots are still small for a large 5 gallon, I find the top 1-2" get dry but the bottom is still moist not soaked just moist, so I'm not sure if I should be misting the top so it's not so dry or to leave it. Is it just autoflowers that don't need the nutes right away because of how quick they grow? Or would this be the same if it was just a normal feminized seed.

Are there any benefits for me switched lighting to 18-6 now or can I leave it 24-7 I have been told both for autoflowers.

thank you for the help! Appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply, do you think I should switch over to 18-6 or is 24-7 as affective? I have been told not to switch up lighting patterns because it can hurt a auto same with transplant etc, but I would like to give them some darkness. Thanks

Auto Flowering is a whole different type of growing and most don't need any nutrients the first week or 2 as plants have some nutrients stored to start themselves off.. if I gave mine anything I'd use a Seaweed extract at 1/4 strength.. The best 2 light cycles I've found work best are: 20/4 or 18/6.. 20hrs on and 4hrs off gives them a light cycle they are very used to as most AF strains originate from areas such as Russia near Alaska where sometime of the year it never gets fully dark.. but I've experimented with all of them, even flipped the lights to 12/12 when they showed sex not knowing better... LOL. yeah, we learn from our mistakes and I found a guy with over 15yrs experience with AF strains that gave me some excellent guidance.. here is a feeding schedule to try:
Week1: 2ml rooting stimulant
Week2: " same " and add 1ml grow
wk3: " same " add 1.5ml grow
wk4: 2ml grow & 1 tsp per liter Molasses
wk5: 2.5ml grow & 1ml bloom
wk6: 2ml grow & bloom equal & 1 tsp per liter Molasses
wk7; 1ml grow & 3ml bloom & 1 tsp per ltr Molasses
wk8: " same "
wk9: 3ml bloom & 1 tsp pr ltr Molasses
wk10: FLUSH water only

The foods used in this schedule were Bio Bizz but should work for all as I use Roots Organics line and use a few more additives then this, but it's a great guideline and remember, this is strictly for auto's and took him years to dial in.. On regular photo period strains one might start adding the flowering nutrients a week before sexing by flipping to 12/12 while AF strains show sex anywhere from 7-14+ days.. And careful with them males, remove them FAST as the pollen sacs open very quickly and will partially seed the ladies.

I agree that all plants benefit from a dark period and grow my plants on a 20/4 until they sex, then down to 18/6 until the last 2wks and back to 20/4 to finish.. at this time I remove all larger fan leaf's to get better line of sight from light to bud site..

hope I didn't overwhelm ya with to much info.. but like I said, Auto Flowering is a whole different game and just passing along what I've recently learned.. right now I'm growing Sour60 and very impressed. They come in around 2.5 ft and haul in 1.5 - 2oz per plant. good luck with yours.

Thanks for the info I will be using a lot of it. I did fail to mention its a feminized autoflower so the sex is a female. I will be changing like to either 20-4 or 18-6, I should be taking out fan leaves on what approx week? 2 weeks left in budding?

Thanks

no nutes for small plants! when are people going to get it? your soil sounds great, it has all that plants need for long time ahead.

don't waste money on magic bloom, super bud and stuff like that. invest in lighting and harvest that huge bud. °

depending on soil used... i have completed grows with no single nutrient given and top yield in the end. i say maybe some nutes can be used entering flowering.

yes, not a popular opinion but i stand by it.

Amen! I have 6 autos and 2 photos that haven't seen a single nute and they are all between 6-10 weeks old. Good soil is all you need.

Regarding the light cycle, it's a thing of preference. 18/6, 20/4, 24/0. Whatever you find works best.

For water, those 5 gallon pots hold a lot of water. You will not need to water but every 5-6 days. Best way is measuring weight, but the knuckle test can work too. Note that the knuckle test gets less and less accurate the bigger your pots get. Buy a cheap bathroom scale and start weighing them day to day. Keep records and you'll quickly get a feel for how much water they need.

For your first grow, keep it simple and learn. Observe the plants and how they respond to various conditions.

Based on your soil mix, you obviously did some research before planting. Care to provide a detailed break down of what exactly you used to build that soil? If possible, include quantities and brand names.

Hi Nate toke thanks for reply, I researched a billion of mixes and the best I came across was: perlite,peat moss,coco fibre,dolomite lime,mycorrhizae, then just a very small amount of bat guano,bone meal, blood meal,Epsom salt, humic acid, azomite, kelp meal I had it sit for about 3 weeks. I water about ever 5 days now in the 5 gallon, day 20 and roots are coming out bottom already and I have a lot of leaves growing it is almost 8" high and growing wide, I think that is pretty good at its stage, I have researched 2 feet is decent for a auto flower at end, I have the light schedule 20-4 now, leafs are green, zero deficiencies as far as I can see, had some droopy leaves, think I just over watered may be, but seems to be growing good.
Thanks for everyone's replies!!

Will post pic

IMG_0018228.JPG
Feeding can really depend on what soil you choose to go with.. I use Roots Organics 707 and has lots of goodies already in it,
ingredients, coarse peat, coco fiber, compost, perlite, pumice, worm castings, bat guano, fish bone meal, soybean meal, feather meal, kelp meal and much more.but I also use a few items of their organic line to push my plants to their fullest..
If you really want to go hassle free and purchase a soil that really needs nothing added but maybe a PK booster at week 6, then check out Foxfarms Light Warrior.. I'm still learning about these Auto Flowering strains myself, but so far mine are looking wonderful with what I do. Best advice I can give you, find something that works for you and when it does, don't change it and don't let anyone else push you into something else.. it's very easy to get caught up in chasing that next best thing..
Here is my own creation at week 4 ... AK47 x Sour60 and now pollinated with a NYCD f3. best of luck man.

Roundman... you speak so true :D

Mb12345 - all leaves are facing down, so plant does not like something at all (or maybe you took it out of the dark?)

5 gallons is like 20-25L? I think you should go with 15L (3.299531 galons) pots cause I don't think you will get a bigger yield from thous. 15L can hold a monster auto depending on the strain ofcourse. In early stages is better to water low dosage and build up. My teory is that the roots won't get to the bottom of the pot in the early stages of vege, since after @20 days they start to realy stretch, so more roots. In a 15 L pot, after day ~20 you could give em 1L feed witch will cover all the dirt and just lift the pot to see when it needs again. If you grow something big in flowering stage you will water every 24h or so. There are many ways, the important thing is to create your own style. You can find every info on the internet but without practice all is 0.

I watered the plant way to quicky I think that's why, was watering every other day when I should have been every 4-5 days I have left to dry out over past 3 days and leaves are starting to rise up, I wonder if I had too much N in medium, leaves are pretty green and have a little curl to the end of the plants, either or probably 1 of those 2 things or both. Any suggestions how to fix to claw just let the medium dry out? I have heard to maybe decrease ph level I am currently at 6.4.

Thanks

Just seeing if anyone knows why the leaves are drooping, I
5 gallon pot, leaves are nice and green and don't have any yellow at all except 2 leaves at bottom that you can't even see anymore, all the stems are huge, strong and thick, I water every 4-5 days, in this picture the plant soil is super dry and it is day 27 on this cash crop fem auto flower, I did not use nutrients because post have told me auto don't really need any first 30 days, but now I am thinking of giving some nutes and maybe it will stop the droopy plant because something is not right.
Thanks
image24431.jpg

Tough to say what's the problem. Temperatures maybe?

Are the leaf veins discolored? Can't say.

Try a good flush, that should clear things up. If there is a nutrient lockout giving more will cause more problems.

Back
Top Bottom