1st LED Grow - Beginner's Setup

I guess there's some disagreement about it, but I personally kept my LED between 1-6 inches above my plant the entire grow (not including seedling) and didn't burn anything. I used a 180w (90w actual draw) UFO LED with 60 3w LEDs. I'm guessing your panel is pretty much the same but with 100 LEDs. With 3w chips I'd say there's no way in heck you'd burn your plants 6 inches away. Other ppl seem to get results they like with higher lights though, so maybe it goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat. Also, I don't have the reflective walls like you do so nearly all of my side lighting would be wasted while your photons may bounce around a few times before eventually smashing into a leaf.

My setup is in the journal in my sig if ya wanna see. Yours is certainly better, but I got good results imo. :goodluck:

I guess there's some disagreement about it, but I personally kept my LED between 1-6 inches above my plant the entire grow (not including seedling) and didn't burn anything. I used a 180w (90w actual draw) UFO LED with 60 3w LEDs. I'm guessing your panel is pretty much the same but with 100 LEDs. With 3w chips I'd say there's no way in heck you'd burn your plants 6 inches away. Other ppl seem to get results they like with higher lights though, so maybe it goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat. Also, I don't have the reflective walls like you do so nearly all of my side lighting would be wasted while your photons may bounce around a few times before eventually smashing into a leaf.

My setup is in the journal in my sig if ya wanna see. Yours is certainly better, but I got good results imo. :goodluck:

You've got a good point buddy . I think what i might do is keep the light as far as possible from the plants until they stretch a little bit (10 - 15cm)(4 - 6 inches) and build some strong roots and then start lowering it a bit each day to get some bushier parts .

As for the LED there is a tiny difference , mine is about 170-180w actual draw , so thats like 2 times the ufo LED . But what i think is it might be able to burn the seedlings only since they're still quite sensitive , but then when the plants are considered in the vegetative stage it wont matter then . Im sure they'll be able to resist the intensity :)

You've got a good point buddy . I think what i might do is keep the light as far as possible from the plants until they stretch a little bit (10 - 15cm)(4 - 6 inches) and build some strong roots and then start lowering it a bit each day to get some bushier parts .

As for the LED there is a tiny difference , mine is about 170-180w actual draw , so thats like 2 times the ufo LED . But what i think is it might be able to burn the seedlings only since they're still quite sensitive , but then when the plants are considered in the vegetative stage it wont matter then . Im sure they'll be able to resist the intensity :)

I just looked back at your pics and I guess one of the plants was def a seedling, and the others were bigger but borderline. I was picturing them as a bit more grown. While your light is around twice as strong as mine it also is about twice as big area wise so I'm guessing light intensity is about the same per square inch. So a 1'x1' for me would be about the same as a 1'x2' for you.

I doubt a light with 3w leds would even burn a seedling at one inch though. The lower the light the more concentrated the light from the individual leds directly above the seedling, but the leds a bit further out would contribute much less light. So the closer the light the more photons it gets from the leds directly above it, but the less it gets from the ones surrounding it. It's a very forgiving effect. With the 5w leds though I'd be much more cautious.

Anyways, I don't mean to change your grow or anything. I'm brand new to this crop and just bouncing ideas around. I like gardening and I like efficiency, so that's where I'm at...

I setup my mars 300 watt yesterday at about 18 inches or so over 3 week old from seed plants and had a few little burns at that distance a few hours later. Not saying that having LEDs at 1 in will burn the plants BC I don't have 1st hand experience, but I do know my plants were very mildly light burned at 18 inches. Therefore I can make an educated guess that they would fry with the light any closer than where my light is right now.

Hey guys , okay so i have made a couple researches the last 2-3 days and went to visit an experienced grower here in my area to gather some information .

I have made 2 modifications to my grow so far and things are starting to look a bit better !

1) As we all talked about the height where the light should be , i decided to try and putting it up top to see what could happen .. I have now placed it at about 80-85 cm from the plants (31.4 inches - 33.4 inches) (2.6 ft - 2.7 ft) . What i have been noticing is the burning has stopped :D no more "new burns" on the leafs but what is done is already done ....

2) The guy i talked to about all this told me to remove the clay balls AS SOON AS POSSIBLE from the surface of my soil . He said this could lead to temperature AND humidity changes in the soil thus disturbing with the roots oxygen absorption .. which leads to poor nutrient intake aswell ! So i now have removed all the clay balls and the soil is finally all dry ! I mixed 3ml of "Bio Root Plus" from General organics into 1 liter of water and fed my little babies since they have been pretty thirsty and IN NEED of some root boosters !

All i can do now is wait and see what could possibly happen .. Its not normal for a plant to stay at about 5-10cm (2-4 inches) for a month ! So i can say i wasted a bit of time with all those problems . Staying positive though :thumb:

Here are some pictures i just took

IMG_227015.jpg
IMG_227114.jpg

I was surfing on the forums and i found a guy topic from a guy who sent "BioBizz" an email for help . Here is what they answered :

Hey there!

Many questions, and thanks for giving our products a try. Let’s get you some answers:

1: Let the tab water rest for a day or so in a bucket. After that mix the recommended dosages of Biobizz products ( do not feed Top-max separately ). Check your ph level. Is it between 7,0 and 7,3: perfect, do not change anything. The soil will do the rest and keep the pH around 6,2-6,3. If the pH stays to high: use apple vinegar for pH-. Gives you some nice taste as well.

2: grow your seed in a seed plug, rockwool,. Jiffy, coco or any medium without to much nutrients. After the plants is about 10-15 cm and has 2-4 leaves, you plant it in All-mix. That is also the moment you can start with the grow schedule. Do not put your seeds direct in All-Mix, you’ll burn them for sure.

3: with grow, bloom, topmax and rootjuice you’ll be fine. First get used to the products and enjoy the first experience. After that there is time enough to try out other products.

Hope we answered your questions!

----------------------------------------

So i think thats why my seedlings have been burning !! :bravo:

They told the guy in #2 not to plant the seedlings straight into the "BioBizz AllMix" soil because it's too hot for them ...

Eventhough they didnt mention it on the bag .

So you guys think i should take them out of that soil and put them in a simple soil and then when they grow a little put them back in the biobizz all mix ?

I would maybe pot up a size with the baby medium and let them try and get acclimated... That will at least cut some of the nutes in the soil they are in currently without stressing them to much trying to get all that soil off them....
The reason I use hydroton on the top is to disperse the water when I feed them.... I tend to be a bit heavy handed and it would cause dents in my medium so with the hydroton... which I do use in the bottom too some times.... It helps the water to absorb into the medium better and without causing indentations in the soil....:circle-of-love:

Everybody does things differently and it works for some and not so much for others... but you will find your groove by trying the things that appeal to you... some of them will work well for ya some will not.... I love my hydroton and it works well for me but I have read others saying they don't like them at all and they caused them issues... I think a lot of it may be due to where we are all located too as far as outside environments and things that affect our gardens... You will get it all figured out to your liking.....:circle-of-love:

Absolutely... I only use bottled purified water because the water here is so bad... I won't even cook with or give it to my dogs but even if it is good water you need to always leave it out for 24 hours before you use so the floride and what not can get out of it and I would think it would be essential to check the pH of tap water especially..... If your pH is off it will cause lock out of other essential goodies that your girls need......:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom