1st timer looking for hempy advice

SauronBlue

Hey all! I'm looking to start a geow from seed that was inspired in large part by 420fied's hempy sog journals. I've invested $600 in materials, and I'm still fine-tuning my system while I wait for my seeds to come in(about a week). I have a 39"sq aeromax grow tent with a 400w HPS, 6" fan, plastic bag type pots with saucers, Roots Organic coco mix (I believe it is 50%coco fiber, 25%perlite, 25%vermiculite), a technaflora starter kit with added tarantula and piranha, and then the dual-outlet timer, temp/humid gauge w/memory and RO water (free from my job!).

I was planning on growing the first few plants from seed to harvest to get the feel of it, then starting hempy as my 2nd grow, but I'm leaning more and more towards getting the hempy started asap, because the more I read, it seems like they are 2 divergent paths of growing, and I'd rather focus on what works best and get experience towards that end. If hempy is way easier to do, and gives better yields for the space used, then why set-up a grow that's not optimized? The problem is: how would I get clones to start the hempy (I'm not throwing down 30 seeds! them thangs are expen$$$ive!) when I only have one tent? Could I grow the seeds to 4-6 week maturity in veg, then hack them to bits to make 5-10 clones each? I'm sure I'd be maxing out my light at about 30 plants, right?

Also wondering bout my nute/media choices. 420fied (thanks so much for the response and advice) mentioned that a straight p/v mix is best for hempy, but the local grower aggressively pushed me away from these options, and as I(stupidly) self-medicated on the way to the grow store, I was in an impressionable state when I arrived. He stated that p/v had no trace nutes, and that would screw me when trying to provide all needed minerals. Said I would be sorry if I used that, and that It wouldn't support the weight of the plants, and I'd have to stake them. The only people that buy that stuff are trying to mix their own soil, and have lots of knowledge to draw on. He also advised me against Advanced Nutrients or General Hydroponics, as they are expensive, and really only used if you want to buy all the supplements, which can be $100 a liter. Needless to say, I wasn't about to drop $300+ for nutes that would probably confuse the hell out of a noob like me, so I went with the $35 starter kit.

As far as seeds, I am going to start with a crop of 6 feminized WW, since 420fied seems to swear by it, plus the effects are in line with what I'm looking for, and all those trichromes sugaring the buds makes for a pretty attractive presentation! here are all the seeds I'm getting:

Product: Female Seeds White Widow
Options: Feminized Seeds Per Pack - 10 Seeds

Product: FREE G13 Labs Auto AK Feminzed
Quantity: 1

Product: FREE G13 Labs Purple Haze Feminized

Product: FREE G13 Labs Pineapple Express Feminized

Product: UFO#1 Paradise Nebula Feminized

Product: UFO#2 Paradise Seeds Wappa Feminized

I'll be saving all but the 6 WW that I'm starting with, to do later grows

If anyone(especially 420fied, Xare, PropaGator, Sonzor, fratdogg223, or SteveHman) has any advice on what will/wont work based on this info please comment.
I know I put a ton of info here, but i figure it's best to throw it all out there, as I want as much input from as many sources as possible. Thanks for all your help guys!! This site is an invaluable resource. There is no way I's feel confident enough to invest my money ($600 is not exactly pocket change to me) and time in this venture without someone to mentor me, and now I have an endless # of experienced growers to lend an ear, so I can't thank you guys enough!!

Sauron,

I've never claimed to be an expert. I simply give advice. Having said that, I have read your post and have some thoughts:

1. I grow Snow White... not WW. However, WW is a sister to SW and just as good if not better so no worries there.

2. I hope you'll consider trading out your grow bags for pots and also consider P&V for the long run because that's a great mix for Hempy. I use it and as you can see, it doesn't hurt my yields and I don't have to stake my plants. The key is going straight to 12/12.... no veg time. My plants finish in the 15 to 22 inch range.

3. In order to have a source for clones you need to figure out a way / place to keep a mother plant. I keep 1 mother and fill my cloner with approx 30 clones at a time. When they root, I plant them in P&V and feed them good nutes in plain tap water. No tricks, no trace minerals, no sham-wow salesman.... it's actually that simple. Find a way to keep a mom, that's the only way to truly do this efficiently.

4. I'm not familiar with your nutes or their cost but I suggest you check out Blue PLanet's page as they have pricing that beats any I've seen. The results they produce can be seen in the pictures above. I've used AN and GH and I won't be changing back. I plan on sticking with BPN exclusively. They're also a site sponsor and Corey helps folks out on the forum. Throw that in and the price-tag becomes even more attractive. You certainly aren't looking at $300.00. The Blue Planet 3 part Elite Series(1 gallon each in the package) I used to grow the run in my current Hempy journal costs $44.00 plus shipping. An absolute STEAL if you ask me.

Run a grow journal so we can all check in on your progress and we're glad to have you here at 420Mag!!!

:thumb:

1. I grow Snow White... not WW. However, WW is a sister to SW and just as good if not better so no worries there.
I wish I'd read that before investing in my raw materials, but I'm sure I'll be fine with WW
2. I hope you'll consider trading out your grow bags for pots and also consider P&V for the long run because that's a great mix for Hempy. I use it and as you can see, it doesn't hurt my yields and I don't have to stake my plants. The key is going straight to 12/12.... no veg time. My plants finish in the 15 to 22 inch range.
I already have a growing stash of soda bottles :) Did you ever grow in pots/bags, or just aero and hempy style? given my plan to abandon the large plants once they are big enough to clip all the branches, do you think it would matter what I put them in? What are the main drawbacks to using bags, and do you know what size they are? there's no markings on them. I will be putting any clones in 2L's.
3. In order to have a source for clones you need to figure out a way / place to keep a mother plant. I keep 1 mother and fill my cloner with approx 30 clones at a time. When they root, I plant them in P&V and feed them good nutes in plain tap water. No tricks, no trace minerals, no sham-wow salesman.... it's actually that simple. Find a way to keep a mom, that's the only way to truly do this efficiently.
I know the right way to do the sog is to have a mom, but I was wondering if I could get away with doing it another way just this first time, because I wont really have money for a whole extra setup with tent/lights and all until about 1/2 way through my 1st grow, but I want to try to cheat and do a sog anyways. Given your knowledge of the strain and the cloning process, do you think I could get away with stripping my mothers on the first time around? Take all the side-growth and the tops from all 6 plants to get around 30 clones to do a one-run sog(not perpetual), while I wait for my $$ to build up for the second attempt done right? I plan on getting a 600w HPS for the next round, but the added light cost plus cooling was too much right now. I will then put the 400 to keeping my mommy/clones happy, and put my 600 on sog duty. I will also be able to get another tent by then (maybe a diy?) to house the veg part of the process.
4. I'm not familiar with your nutes or their cost but I suggest you check out Blue PLanet's page as they have pricing that beats any I've seen. The results they produce can be seen in the pictures above. I've used AN and GH and I won't be changing back. I plan on sticking with BPN exclusively. They're also a site sponsor and Corey helps folks out on the forum. Throw that in and the price-tag becomes even more attractive. You certainly aren't looking at $300.00. The Blue Planet 3 part Elite Series(1 gallon each in the package) I used to grow the run in my current Hempy journal costs $44.00 plus shipping. An absolute STEAL if you ask me.
This starter set for one run of 4-6 plants ran me $35. If I'd known I could get a set quality nutes for $10 more, I would never have wasted my time or money. Luckily there is another grow-store even closer to me than the one I went to(I sure am lucky!!), but those were the "big guy" that I went to to get the bulk of my supplies. I'll check out the smaller, closer shop and pick up some BP 'roids! Can I still use some of the additives, like bud candy, from the set I have, or will the different brands clash? Once again, just for a workable solution to keep initial costs down, when I re-stock I'll be sure to get all products from one line.
Run a grow journal so we can all check in on your progress and we're glad to have you here at 420Mag!!!

:thumb:
One thing that I don't remember seeing in your journals Is how you care for your mothers, IE; do you have them on 18/6 or 24/0, what nutes do you give them (perpetually week 3 of a cycle? weeks 2-6, then repeat?), how do you know how much to trim without overly stressing them, and how to tell a good clone that's ready to snip. If you've already posted this, please don't bother re-writing, but please do point me to the thread, and I'll hunt down the info (I really hate it when people want you to take the time to answer Q's about your threads, but don't take the time to even read the thread to find the answers first.
Thanks so much for stopping by, 'fied!:thanks:

Here are the pics of what I've done so far:
2011-10-06_19_16_08.jpg
2011-10-06_20_08_57.jpg

2011-10-06_20_09_07.jpg

2011-10-06_20_09_11.jpg

Here are the nutes I bought. I am now planning to get a BP 3 part regimen, is there anything I can use out of this set? I'd like to make use of at least the additives, like sugar daddy, or maybe the cal/mag or something. Once again, I'll be getting a complete system with all products from the same line when I start my next grow, but $$ is pretty tight after investing in all this, so trying to be as eficient as possible without shooting myself in the foot. Thanks!
I DO plan on saving that root gel, as I've heard the gel gives much better results than the powder.
2011-10-09_08_29_12.jpg

2011-10-09_08_31_58.jpg

2011-10-09_08_30_11.jpg

Welcome to the 420 Mag family... it's great to have you w/us. :welcome:
We pride ourselves on being a mature marijuana forum dedicated to the spreading awareness of the benefits of MMJ and Hemp. :thumb:
The Mission of 420 Magazine is to repeal Cannabis prohibition by promoting international Cannabis awareness to the masses
You will find that our members are both knowledgable and the most helpful on the scene.
If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines... they will assist you in navigating the forum.
Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

Here are some other links that may be helpful:
Our mission statement: Mission Statement
Questions: Frequently Asked Questions - 420 Magazine
Uploading photos: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
Grow support: How to Ask for Grow Support
How to grow: How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine
MMJ lounge: Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine
News: International Cannabis News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana News - 420 Magazine
Hemp News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Scientific Data - 420 Magazine
Help support the cause: Please Help Support 420 Magazine
Take your coat off and get to know some the locals, the staff here are great and our members are top shelf... :Namaste:

Looks like the HTG Supply complete grow tent kit. I was thinking I want one but I'm on a fixed income and I have to get a little at time. Keep up you good works. :thumb:

You're headed in the right direction check out twelve12's journals he does the 2l hempy with coco (as long as you've got it).:welcome:
Thanks for the heads up! I checked out T12's thread, but I think the coco coir is like beads. What I have is coco fiber mixed with perm and verm. Looks like a really nice setup, tho.
Looks like the HTG Supply complete grow tent kit. I was thinking I want one but I'm on a fixed income and I have to get a little at time. Keep up you good works. :thumb:
Yeah, that's the one. edited a few options here and there. I havent even started growing yet, but I'm already a bit sorry for going with this. I've had it set up for the last week, and it is really attention-drawing. I think that if I'd taken the time to build something, I could've made it fit better spatially, and also blend in with the space as well. It the frame is strong steel that can easily support any lights/fan I could think to put in there, bit it has very weak walls, and you can't count on those for support. so I'm trying to figure a way to get my ducting done as lightweight and stealthy as possible. Doesn't anyone make black or white ducting? What's with all this shiny aluminum-foil??? So, I've got plenty of Rustolium in flat black. I really think the flanges and things should've been included in the package, but they weren't, so don't forget to pick some up in the size you want. On the bright side, if you're no good with handyman stuff, the tent is extremely easy to put together with no tools needed, but you will need a a good 6 inches around it to get the cover on(which is the only tricky part), so if your space is exactly the size of the tent, and you can't move things temporarily out of the way, you'll be SOL.
All that said, good luck in your grows, and thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the heads up! I checked out T12's thread, but I think the coco coir is like beads. What I have is coco fiber mixed with perm and verm. Looks like a really nice setup, tho.

No that is hydro-tron in the bottom and on top. He uses 2" in the bottom to help keep the coco from getting out the hole and a layer on top.

Only 2 weeks ago I didn't know what hydroton was! What are they doing letting me have a journal?!?!? lolol Thanks for pointing me in the direction of T12, I've taken a lot from his journals. Feel free to come by my grow in my sig, and leave any advice you can think of!

Don't forget 420 he started this 2L craze :adore:
420FIED is the one that lit the fire under my ass to get this started! Looking at his journals, and the quality of info he gives out, as well as how easy he makes it look hooked me! I wouldn't be here without 420fied, but Twelve12 has pushed me to take it to an even greater level of diversity and trial&error in my grow!

youve never done this before? holy ???? your off to a great start. patients an the right amount of care, youll go far!
best of grow to you!
peace
o yea im jelous by the way. lol

can't wait to see how your plants turn out

youve never done this before? holy ???? your off to a great start. patients an the right amount of care, youll go far!
best of grow to you!
peace
o yea im jelous by the way. lol

Thanks A lot, both of you!! I did a LOT of research before spending the first dime, but yeah, this is my first ever attempt at growing. You should check out my grow journal in my signature. I'm about a month into flower, and everything is looking really nice. These forums have all the info you need to make you look like you know what you're doing!:cheesygrinsmiley:
:thanks::high-five::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom