39% extraction yield RSO

Well doesn't the hot extraction supersede the cold wash? The wash is done cold to reduce the chlorophyll and plant wax uptake but then you go hot and extract all. You could keep them separate though.

Cajuncelt wrote: "Results were great. I'll probably combine the 2 wash method."
Did he decarboxylate dry buds before hot and cold extractions or did he decarboxylate the oil after boiling alcohol out?
What did he do analyses off? Alcohol solution or ready made oil?

I assume he decarbed the oil once it was made since he first did a cold wash and then did a hot one to get what was left. I believed he sent the oil for analysis as we were unsure how much "medicine" was left over after the cold wash.

But he hasn't posted the results yet. He is sick though so sometimes other things have a higher priority.

It is my assumption that a quick cold wash leaves a lot of "medicine" behind but as its illegal here I cannot have my theory confirmed.

I think cajuncelt either never ran those analysis, or just weren't what he was expecting. I can see from his activity that he's posting regularly in the forum, no reason not to put the results.

Cajuncelt posts from his phone, just got back from a week long seminar out of state, has stage 4 cancer, works full time, and provides meds to others.
I DID get it tested & the results were great for the reflux method.
I don't have the time to transfer the files, convert them, upload to hear, & post the results.
I'll get to it soon as I see there's alot of interest
To summarize:
The reflux method produced about 15% more material.
It had similar to better cannabinoid percentages to a quick, cold wash.
I personally will be getting a closed system extraction system when possible as I make meds daily.
Lab Rat has shown a great yielding method.
Thanx.
Doinga quick wash is not necessary as I did, but winterizing is almost mandatory.

Thanks for all the hard work and testing here guys. I am very keen to give it a go. At the moment I am waiting on some naturally decarbed tincture and i will let you all know how that goes, should be ready in about 6 more weeks.

I have a quick question regarding the reflux oil. What are the risks while using heat extracting? I know evaporation is extremely dangerous if precautions are not heeded but as a layperson I am not sure if this method is dangerous? For instance what would happen if all the ice had melted and t was left on heat for a while after? I understand it hitting the cold and condensing but how volatile is the vapour considering it is confined and constantly having heat applied. Explosion risk?

Any pointers here would be really appreciated especially from someone with some experience doing it.

The way I do it you gotta replace the ice once in 30 minutes because it will melt. If you do not the water from the ice will eventually boil or at least get very hot.

In the video I use 175*F and an induction cooktop so its precise and there's no flame. I'd be more concerned with gas escaping and being ignited by the heating element. If you plan to leave change the ice prior or use a bigger pot like the one shown in this video.

Its alcohol turned to gas, it won't explode without an igniter.

Thanks for the response Lab Rat, My plans are as follows:

Decarb bud in the oven at 175 for 20-30 mins.

I have to use isopropal alcohol, I have a small bottle of 95% polish vodka but it's imported and damn expensive so I will use iso for the heat extraction process.

I will then let it evaporate naturally on my balcony or with a fan over it for a few days. Once the iso has evaporated I will mix some Polish vodka over the concentrate to get it back into a liquid form and I will then gently purge the liquid in an oil bath.

Does anyone see any problems with these steps? Thanks for putting my mind at ease labrat. I live in flats so need to be responsible. Thats why I evaporate using a fan or put the pyrex dish outside with a stocking over it to evaporate and then add the polish vodka. I does mean that I have to decarb first. I have an infared temp gun which makes things a bit easier. How accurate are they in your experience?

I have made several tinctures this way as well as the naturally decarbed tincture I am waiting on. No heat whatsoever has been applied to that.

Also I have an induction hob but unfortunately it doesnt allow you to set the exact temp so will be a little trial and error until I find the sweet spot.190 for 30 mins (per wash) is what I will aim for.

If you are dead set on decarbing in an oven make sure the layer of material is as thin as possible so the same amount of heat gets distributed throughout the material. Too thick a layer and you run the risk of unevenly heating the material. Skipping that step and decarbing the oil is more thorough and you can monitor the temp with the IR thermometer.

Why 175? Decarb barely starts at 170. I used to do it at 180*F for 30 minutes and thought I was getting great results until I decarbed at 250*F for 27 minutes and a 20+ years of smoking pothead friend of mine asked if I had mixed LSD with my oil. Use the graph, its accurate.

decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

Natural evaporation? Must be really dry there cause here it can sit for a week in an open container and less than 10% will evaporate.

You should winterize before evaporating to purify your oil, also any moment you go above 180*F you are decarbing unconsciously. Perhaps its purity related but adding drinking alcohol to my oil to make a tincture would cause it to break apart like adding water to oil. The best I've found for making tinctures is using coconut oil (not the suntan lotion kind, the cooking kind).

Thanks for the chart, got some plastic, a stainless steel bowl and some bungee rope so should be good to go soon.

Right I will decarb at 250 for 27 mins on your advice.It's funny you are not the first person to mention the oil breaking apart but I have done it a few times and it's always come out brilliantly. As for evaporation, leaving it out in the cool morning sun does it very fast otherwise I just have a fan blowing over it. Takes about 18 hrs for 500mls to evaporate, then when it dries it goes all gooey with just a bit of moisture which i assume is the remaining water from the alcohol. Add the vodka and use a toothpick to mix it all up again and had no trouble.It dissolves into the vodka and then I purge the rest of the vodka in an oil bath.
I use coconut oil snd mix it with whatever is left stuck to my bowl and it makes a great salve. I have also keep the rest of the herb and dried it out and smoked some. There is definitely thc remaining after a couple cold washes.

I will winterise for sure, I have also been keeping the sediment (that ends up in the coffee filter). I have no idea if there is any real use for it but figured I may just add it to a salve. Its a fine brownish powder once dried.

Another thing I am really interested in is making a trans dermal oil patch ot using the oil transdermally somehow. Kinda like a morphine patch where it gets absorbed slowly and constantly for lasting pain relief. Random I know but if you have any ideas or suggestions i am open to it.

I just feel it's irresponsible living on the top floor of a flat with no outdoor area apart from a balcony which would be very suspicious. If I had to blow myself or my kitchen up there are other people's lives I would be endangering too. That's why I was concerned about explosion risks from heat extracting.

Thanks for your advice, it's most appreciated.

Thanks for the chart, got some plastic, a stainless steel bowl and some bungee rope so should be good to go soon.

Right I will decarb at 250 for 27 mins on your advice.It's funny you are not the first person to mention the oil breaking apart but I have done it a few times and it's always come out brilliantly. As for evaporation, leaving it out in the cool morning sun does it very fast otherwise I just have a fan blowing over it. Takes about 18 hrs for 500mls to evaporate, then when it dries it goes all gooey with just a bit of moisture which i assume is the remaining water from the alcohol. Add the vodka and use a toothpick to mix it all up again and had no trouble.It dissolves into the vodka and then I purge the rest of the vodka in an oil bath.
I use coconut oil snd mix it with whatever is left stuck to my bowl and it makes a great salve. I have also keep the rest of the herb and dried it out and smoked some. There is definitely thc remaining after a couple cold washes.

I will winterise for sure, I have also been keeping the sediment (that ends up in the coffee filter). I have no idea if there is any real use for it but figured I may just add it to a salve. Its a fine brownish powder once dried.

Another thing I am really interested in is making a trans dermal oil patch ot using the oil transdermally somehow. Kinda like a morphine patch where it gets absorbed slowly and constantly for lasting pain relief. Random I know but if you have any ideas or suggestions i am open to it.

I just feel it's irresponsible living on the top floor of a flat with no outdoor area apart from a balcony which would be very suspicious. If I had to blow myself or my kitchen up there are other people's lives I would be endangering too. That's why I was concerned about explosion risks from heat extracting.

Thanks for your advice, it's most appreciated.

Unless you're using a few pounds of flowers, there's not much vaped to be overly concerned about. Also, since you're using ISO, it's not as scary as butane.
Keep a fan at your back, you'll be fine.

Thank you both for the advice,I just have one question, I have decarbed the oil before successfully but the last time I definitely ruined the batch, its pretty effective for pain but there is no high at all from it so clearly THC went out the window.

i would decarb the oil in an oil bath, if I remember correctly I got it up to 240F and didnt let it go higher.

Anyone have correct temps and length of time for an oil bath decarb? It would make my life so much easier.

Back
Top Bottom