4 to 4.5 foot mother: Topping advice

xtrchessreal

Hello all:

I'm into a perpetual grow and need to slow down the growth of mothers that are already too high (tall) :)

These mothers veg under one 23 Watt 5000K CFL/plant.

I have about 9 weeks at least before the current bloom room will be available for another set of veggers to go in and bloom. In general I should have plenty of smoke when the current crop is harvested. So, I need advice on topping and slowing down growth so my mothers can hang in veg for a few months then I will clone and begin a new crop by late winter or spring.

The mothers are 3 to 3.5 feet from soil surface, inside 3 gal pots approx 12 inches tall, never been topped, very healthy, bushy, etc. The question is how much off the top can I go before risking losing the plant? Should I give any of my GH FloraNova Grow nutes once topped to keep them from dying? I will eat the topped leaves so nothing is wasted.

Thanks for you time and input :thumb:

:peace:X

be aggresive with topping mate. it will slow growth but in turn will introduce multiple new heads. more heads = more clones

heres a mother im currently training:

20131030_185042.jpg
20131030_185037.jpg
20131030_185050.jpg
20131022_145543.jpg
20131022_145602.jpg

Heres my old A.M.S mother that was well over 3 years old.

20121009_153223.jpg

Best to be heavy handed with mothers. give them stress and they will thank u for it.

Thanks for the information Cultivator!

This sounds good, I like your cannabis tree :)

So, as long as I have three or four well formed branches I can clip it down from 3.5 feet to about 1 or 1.5 feet? The stem is about as thick as my finger at that level and I know it is hollow. Is there any need for using a sealer or anything, e.g. tar; used to seal the trunk of a tree where fresh cut branches had been?

Thank you for your efforts and time in responding.

Thanks for the fast response Cultivator! Yeah I will be sterile, I have some good quality snips. I'm 100% on 24 clones so far, all rooted and harvested. I have 5 mothers to work on so I will start with one and see how it responds and that will give me the confidence to be more aggressive or not.

Galt: I am on a 18/6 schedule using one 23 watt 5000K CFL per plant. I was planning to reduce the light source as well so it will slow the photosynthesis.

I appreciate the help

Galt: I am on a 18/6 schedule using one 23 watt 5000K CFL per plant. I was planning to reduce the light source as well so it will slow the photosynthesis.

I appreciate the help

We had good luck in the past by cutting the light schedule to slow a mother's growth. 2 on 4 off is really safe, 2 on 6 or 8 off probably okay too. At 10 off, some strains will flower. Better than making them live in the dark. :)

watered with nutes today going to cut tomorrow. I'll read about this lighting stuff but likely will keep it where it is.

Cultivator:

I cut one plant like you said about 5 days ago and it is doing great so I just cut another one today and I will do one a day until I get them done. I really appreciate the advice and now I feel confident about my mothers. Thank you. :thumb:

Chop chop chop and clone repot trim roots.......... I honestly believe after all my growing bonsai mothers in super soil is the best, treat your plants like shit properly and they love you for it

Back
Top Bottom