400 W HPS in a full size fridge?

norcal-med

Hello everyone. I am new here, but have been lurking for a while catching up on some of the threads. This is a great forum and there is a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks to everyone that participates to make it that way.

I have been kicking around ideas about a stealth grow. I have a 400w HPS light, an old school one with a remote ballast. I was wondering, if I were to put that in a full size refrigerator, with only pulling in outside air to cool (max 80 F outside, usually in the 50's or 60's) would I be able to keep it cool enough to have a successful grow (and not catch the fridge on fire)?

I have found a few people who use refrigerators, but they use CFL's. I haven't been able to find anyone with HPS or MH.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I tried the fridge thing and could not keep temp. down.
So i'm going to try with led's and cfl's and try to make my fridge work.

Anyone else have any advice? I am hoping to put something together that I already have the parts for. I really am just wasting time until outdoor season.

That light would probly make too much heat, and in normal conditions would need to kept 2-4' from tops to keep from burning cola (radiant heat). LEDs would probly be better choise for a cab with that much insulation:>)

Even with 4" intake and exhaust fans the radiant heat from Hps light would be great, but the only way to check it off the list of possibilities is to try it for a while, giving yerself time to come up with an alternative if needed;>)

Thanks man. Seemed like a decent idea. Sadly I am not in a spot to invest in new technology at the moment. Perhaps I will just wait for spring.

I agree the new tech is expensive, CFL's will also work in this situation, although I'm not convinced that floros work well in the bud stage of growth.

this is an old thread.. but i been live for 2 yrs ish... i found a small fridge in great shape gutted the doors out and the cooling unit and mylar on the doors only. The freezer unit is perfect for my home made aero cloner and my smaller DWC cloner with 3 26watt CFLs.. and they root fast as i could ask..temps are 28'C and humidity at around 48% ups to 60ish when i spray them twice a day, and the main cab is 26.5 and humidity at 58 steady ive yet to flower just finished the build..so i posted a pic of the whole thing and a video of my cloner dont kno if this works never done this...

wow multitasking to much the cab light is a old school 250W HPS and its BOSS carbon filter in the upper corner that u cant see and the air is constantly circulating

Back
Top Bottom