71 year old new to the 420 world

Cool. I'm willing to bet that it's rated at 600w equivalent and is actually somewhere in the region of 250w drawn at the wall. This is called your true wattage. We won't worry about any of that just yet but that is a powerful light for a seedling so I would certainly hang it a bit higher than recommended for the first few days :)
I have it 46 inces away from the seedlings. I'm not sure what the recommended is at this point. Thanks for your help.

I have already gotten my medical card. It didn't take very long at all about a week. I paid $75 for the Dr. to get me the paper that I needed to use to get my card. They approve you in just a matter of a few days. Because I'm on medicare my license only cost $20. That really surprised me. The original fee is $100. Go for it.
Wow, the dr i called wanted 250 plus 100 for the state...

Okay, I removed the domes and put my seedlings in my grow tent. I have them 46 inches from my 600 watt LED light. I tested the soil. PH was 6.5, light was 1 and moister was 5. If anyone thinks I've done anything wrong comment please. Why do I feel like an expectant father?

I take it you have one of those 3 in 1 soil probes? Only use the moisture part if it's analog, not digital and even then... . The light meter is in lumens which have naught to do with PAR. It's not even good as a reference even if you knew exact PAR and tried to translate. Forget apples and oranges, it's more like apples and rocks. The Ph meter is the bottom scale with the shortest travel so forget tenths, you're taking a WAG just getting a whole number. Might be better if it were the top scale where the graduations would be further apart, but as is, it's Close-n-Play. The moisture meter is good, and now you think you'll use it for ever and ever as such. Reality is you'll soon just stick your finger in the top inch of soil, give the side of the pot a thump, listening to the sound it makes and go from there.

Bright side is it makes an excellent soil aerator so every couple of days I'll stick it in the pot, not even looking at the meter, to let some air in. I have the plastic label stakes and every time I aerate, I do it at the stake and then move the stake a few inches around the circumference to keep track where I was. I do it right before watering, while I'm adjusting Ph air gets in and then the water closes the hole back up. Just one in and out is all it takes, you don't want to roto-till, just let a breath get drawn in a little deeper for a few ticks. The do the same thing to golf courses, only they fill the holes with seeded sand or loam, depending if it's green or fairway. Golf courses are the greenest things around and the plants don't suffer fools very well as they're kept so short. So I didn't think it up on my very own, just adapted a concept to my course.

Again, soil Ph is only an issue if you dig it from the yard or the like. Commercial blends have to be correct, just for liability purposes. If the soil's correct and the water you add's correct then the only thing that could possibly get you is incorrect watering. Correct watering is done slowly and until no more than a cup or two, depending on the pot (those pesky variables again), flows from the bottom. This mimics Nature raining and what soaks into the ground doesn't stop until it hits hardpan and creates an aquifer. The benefit to plants is it's a nice gentle flush instead of a composting toilet or a gully-washed that carried it down stream and waste is removed. Now, think of the aquifer. It's going to be a concentrator, just like a salmon acquires Mercury or a Condor DDT? Anyways hopefully you get the picture. If your pot is on a flat surface when you water, that surface become the bottom of the aquifer so the waste will concentrate on the bottom. Also, it slows flow to carry the waste through and out. Water on some type of grate.

This is for soil, only. Other grow media are different, so take that into account.

Off to bathe the guard piglet, hope this helps. :cool:

I
I have already gotten my medical card. It didn't take very long at all about a week. I paid $75 for the Dr. to get me the paper that I needed to use to get my card. They approve you in just a matter of a few days. Because I'm on medicare my license only cost $20. That really surprised me. The original fee is $100. Go for it.
Its still a pitty you got to pay for a weed that the government wants to destroy!?
It should be free for all.

I have it 46 inces away from the seedlings. I'm not sure what the recommended is at this point. Thanks for your help.
Drop it daily. Slowly the plant will get used to it. If she is tall and skinny drop it! (The light that is). You want it short and squat!
:green_heart::peace:

I take it you have one of those 3 in 1 soil probes? Only use the moisture part if it's analog, not digital and even then... . The light meter is in lumens which have naught to do with PAR. It's not even good as a reference even if you knew exact PAR and tried to translate. Forget apples and oranges, it's more like apples and rocks. The Ph meter is the bottom scale with the shortest travel so forget tenths, you're taking a WAG just getting a whole number. Might be better if it were the top scale where the graduations would be further apart, but as is, it's Close-n-Play. The moisture meter is good, and now you think you'll use it for ever and ever as such. Reality is you'll soon just stick your finger in the top inch of soil, give the side of the pot a thump, listening to the sound it makes and go from there.

Bright side is it makes an excellent soil aerator so every couple of days I'll stick it in the pot, not even looking at the meter, to let some air in. I have the plastic label stakes and every time I aerate, I do it at the stake and then move the stake a few inches around the circumference to keep track where I was. I do it right before watering, while I'm adjusting Ph air gets in and then the water closes the hole back up. Just one in and out is all it takes, you don't want to roto-till, just let a breath get drawn in a little deeper for a few ticks. The do the same thing to golf courses, only they fill the holes with seeded sand or loam, depending if it's green or fairway. Golf courses are the greenest things around and the plants don't suffer fools very well as they're kept so short. So I didn't think it up on my very own, just adapted a concept to my course.

Again, soil Ph is only an issue if you dig it from the yard or the like. Commercial blends have to be correct, just for liability purposes. If the soil's correct and the water you add's correct then the only thing that could possibly get you is incorrect watering. Correct watering is done slowly and until no more than a cup or two, depending on the pot (those pesky variables again), flows from the bottom. This mimics Nature raining and what soaks into the ground doesn't stop until it hits hardpan and creates an aquifer. The benefit to plants is it's a nice gentle flush instead of a composting toilet or a gully-washed that carried it down stream and waste is removed. Now, think of the aquifer. It's going to be a concentrator, just like a salmon acquires Mercury or a Condor DDT? Anyways hopefully you get the picture. If your pot is on a flat surface when you water, that surface become the bottom of the aquifer so the waste will concentrate on the bottom. Also, it slows flow to carry the waste through and out. Water on some type of grate.

This is for soil, only. Other grow media are different, so take that into account.

Thanks, this helps alot. I just want my first grow to be successful and I'm sure I'm worrying too much. I have a friend that used to grow under her porch when she lived in LA with a regular light and dirt out of the yard and they grew just fine. I'm going to just to to relax and let mother nature take it's course. Thanks again for the excellent advise. I will definitely use it.

Thanks, this helps alot. I just want my first grow to be successful and I'm sure I'm worrying too much. I have a friend that used to grow under her porch when she lived in LA with a regular light and dirt out of the yard and they grew just fine. I'm going to just to to relax and let mother nature take it's course. Thanks again for the excellent advise. I will definitely use it.
OKay, 2 (more) questions for now

Okay, I have 2 more newbie questions please. I have put my seedlings in my grow tent with my 600 watt LED at 46 inches from plants. Do i turn the light off at all now to give them some night time? Number 2, I am wanting to prepare my 5 gallon planters with soil. I have kind hot soil and Fox Farms soil. What is a good mixture of both of these that I should put in the bottom of the pot before I fill with Fox Farm soil? Thanks J

OKay, 2 (more) questions for now

Okay, I have 2 more newbie questions please. I have put my seedlings in my grow tent with my 600 watt LED at 46 inches from plants. Do i turn the light off at all now to give them some night time? Number 2, I am wanting to prepare my 5 gallon planters with soil. I have kind hot soil and Fox Farms soil. What is a good mixture of both of these that I should put in the bottom of the pot before I fill with Fox Farm soil? Thanks J

I'm running 18 on and 6 off for veg. Watch the plants closely now and make sure they aren't stretching towards the light and the node getting far apart. A possible sign you can move the light a little closer. Make sure you remove everything from the tent before messing with anything hanging above when you adjust lights, make believe the rope is Silly Putty.

If by hot soil you mean lawn squeezings, just go with the FF straight. Don't add variables to the mind numbing task of your first grow. I'm going to make a transplant video, but I'll give you the outline now. Fill the pot with soil to the desired level and slowly pour water at the correct Ph to hydraulically settle the soil. Add more if needed to top it off. This will give the correct compaction so you don't have cotton candy or concrete later on. Don't let the water run out of the pot, you'll just be washing the pre-loaded nutes down the drain which will throw what you think's happening and what's really happening into separate universes very early on. Now, if you have the transplants in one of those plastic pots with the snap on bottom tray, remove it and use the pot as a mold to make a perfect hole the size of the pot and the correct depth. As to depth, although not critical on this scale, and given the plant's life span, you want it a wee bit high rather than low, level is perfect. Match the level of the dirt inside the small to the large and remove it. Extract the plant and put it in that perfect hole. The hydraulic settling lets the dirt be moist enough to hold form. There are no air gaps or settling for the first few waterings. If FF, you won't need to feed for at least a month after final transplant, depending on your variables. Let the plant tell you when it's hungry, not a forum post. Use the post as a guide and apply it to you. Same with water, you'll see the leaves sag a little. Don't panic, just give her a slow, steady drink. You're in soil, so you want a little run off during watering, but again, don't flush out the nutes.

Just found a couple of pics of a pot ready for the transplant.

*EDIT* If you notice, there's about a 2" top layer that hasn't been wet. My thinking is I want it to think it need to sink deeper wells for water. IOW, so the roots will grow down rather than out the first. I always perform major surgeries as close to lights out as possible to aid recovery.

3 (1).jpg

3 (3).jpg

3 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom