71 year old new to the 420 world

jayow1000

420 Member
I was a butcher for over 50 years up till Sept of last year when I got my finger in the saw and almost cut the first joint off of my middle finger. They put it back together but since the surgeon didn't put a pin in it they had to put me in a four fingered splint for 6 weeks. When I came out of the splint my fingers were locked up. after 12 weeks of therapy and a manipulation under anesthesia, which was very painful afterwards, they diagnosed me with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I won't go into it but they don't know what causes it and there is no cure. Still battling Workers comp, but I need some relief is why I turned to learning to grow cannabis. I am from Southeast Oklahoma and we just passed Medical in July. Just on this site to learn at this point not teach.

I was a butcher for over 50 years up till Sept of last year when I got my finger in the saw and almost cut the first joint off of my middle finger. They put it back together but since the surgeon didn't put a pin in it they had to put me in a four fingered splint for 6 weeks. When I came out of the splint my fingers were locked up. after 12 weeks of therapy and a manipulation under anesthesia, which was very painful afterwards, they diagnosed me with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I won't go into it but they don't know what causes it and there is no cure. Still battling Workers comp, but I need some relief is why I turned to learning to grow cannabis. I am from Southeast Oklahoma and we just passed Medical in July. Just on this site to learn at this point not teach.
Hi and welcome, here you will get all the help you need. I have a few links in my signature SweetSue's Threads, you will find a few good reading materials there.
Cannabis is excellent for pain relief.

WELCUMM ABROAD

Welcome to :420: Jay it's nice to meet you!!! You found the right place to get any info on cannabis cultivation from some of the greatest kindest growers around the world. Check out the link in my Sig to help you get started. Have a nice weekend Jay!!!

Hey J! I used to be a butcher but I didn't quite do 50 years, I made it to 9 though. Glad to have you on board my friend. There are so many nice people here that are willing to help that I'm sure you'll be up and running with the right knowledge in no time. Welcome to 420! :)

Welcome to you Sir!!
You can and will learn a lot here on 420 thats for sure.
Plenty willing and able helpers here.
Best meds ever and they been keeping it away from us so long now.
Prohibition must fall.
:green_heart:

Thanks to everyone for the greetings. So glad I found this site and all these great people. I'm as green to this growing as some of the pictures of some of your plants. I have germinated 2 seeds to start with. They had 1 inch roots on the seeds in 2 days, I planted them yesterday afternoon in red solo cups with domes made out of empty 2 litre bottles. I used Fox Far soil. When I got up this morning one of the seeds had sprouted a half inch. Funny how that excited me. The other was nothing. This afternoon the first one was up 1 inch and the 2nd was 1/2 inch. When do I put them in my grow tent and turn the grow light on? help, this is going faster than I thought. Anybody?

best karma sent friend,,

three types of cannabis pain control methods,, all cannabis infused,, creams, oils and tinctures(alcohol based)

couple points about em,,

anything with beeswax in it, creams i mean,, the beeswax, or wax in general,, hangs around a long time on the body and soils everything it touches,, a huge negative

oils,, same as the cream minus the bees wax,, the oil lingers on the body perhaps longer than one might like,, specially on the hands, which i find i use a lot,, but the oil sure is nice to rub into the soreness,, feels great,, but the residue persists and can be messy for a busy person

tinctures,, made with vodka, or any other 40 % alcohol,, works fine,, very fast in fact,, but not as long so requires more applications,, but dries near instantly which is excellent

however, it does dry the skin out quite a bit

so i have been experimenting with a tincture which i add a bit of oil to, it does not mix but if i shake it up then eyedropper it out i get a bit of oil in the mix which is the best of both worlds,, least the best i have yet to find,,

good karma sent to your pain,, but,, this stuff really works

make it strong,, 10 grams of decarbed bud per cup of oil or alcohol

that's a hundred bucks of bud in each cup,, so this stuff is medicine,, not skin cream

cheers

Welcome! I crushed the 2nd metacarpal on my fret hand (I play guitar) in the tailgate of a dump truck in 2001, so I can relate. I'm a n00b, too. Lot of good info here, but you have to be careful, too easy to lose half a day reading threads and not get things done.

Thanks to everyone for the greetings. So glad I found this site and all these great people. I'm as green to this growing as some of the pictures of some of your plants. I have germinated 2 seeds to start with. They had 1 inch roots on the seeds in 2 days, I planted them yesterday afternoon in red solo cups with domes made out of empty 2 litre bottles. I used Fox Far soil. When I got up this morning one of the seeds had sprouted a half inch. Funny how that excited me. The other was nothing. This afternoon the first one was up 1 inch and the 2nd was 1/2 inch. When do I put them in my grow tent and turn the grow light on? help, this is going faster than I thought. Anybody?
Now. Keep the light quite high above the seedlings to start with. You won't need the humidity domes anymore. Just relax and use this time to prepare your pots for transplanting. They'll be ok for a few days in the solo cups. What light are you using? :)

You can put them in the tent any time, but you have to use common sense. You have new-borns, and while you want them to get a little sun, you wouldn't leave them on the sand, at the beach all day. If your light has Veg/Bloom switches use just the Veg for a week or so to let them get acclimatized. If not, tuck them in corners until they get a little bigger. If ideal PAR is 800 for a more mature plant, I try to put them in a spot with no lower than 400 and up to 600. This can be a trial and error thing at first. You don't want them to fry, but you don't want them stretching for light, either. Observation of your garden, as applied to your set of givens, is the most important part of success. Comparing it to else, no matter how close else may come to your setup will still never be your setup so it will always be apples to oranges. Use outside info as a guide, but make sure to translate how it might apply to your specifics.

As to when to transplant the first time, here's a good rule of thumb if you want to know if there are enough root to hold the current soil together so it doesn't crumble during the process, but not so many it will be allowed to circle roots. With Solo cups, you can clip small holes in the bottom so you can see when the roots are developed, with peat tabs the roots will show through the sides. If you don't have any view ports, you can easily determine when by the size of the plant in comparison to its container. With most plants, what you see above the ground is at least what's below, if not bigger. The drip line of the plant is a good indicator as to what's below. And remember, you have to think in 3D so the height of a plant is a good indicator of root depth. It's important with germination and even transplants that the depth of soil matches the diameter of the pot so when you go to remove the plant it doesn't get a root-ectomy right off the bat.

Ought to get you started.

Oh, and take the domes off the pots, the condensation can turn it into a concave lens. It's purpose during germination is to provide a little leeway if you're late on a moisture check so the seed doesn't dry in mid-hatch. After that it's not needed, in my limited experience. I don't dome clones, either. I stick them in a peat tab off to the side of the tent and mark them Duty. Haven't lost one yet.

Don't think you have to baby them, just don't neglect them. These things have been holding sails and anchors on ships for millenia. They'll grow in sidewalk cracks. Common sense is the best gardening tool, but unfortunately the last thing it is is common.

So sorry about your accident. Welcome aboard, i am an okie too, looking forward to my medical card! You are a good example of why we need this in 50 states.

Now. Keep the light quite high above the seedlings to start with. You won't need the humidity domes anymore. Just relax and use this time to prepare your pots for transplanting. They'll be ok for a few days in the solo cups. What light are you using? :)
I am using a 600 watt LED. I wasn't sure what to buy there were so many different comments, so I just made my own decision. Thank you for your help.

I am using a 600 watt LED. I wasn't sure what to buy there were so many different comments, so I just made my own decision. Thank you for your help.

Look at the light mfg.'s site for a cone chart that shows PAR intensity at different distances and the coverage at that distance. You want mature plants as close to 800 as possible over the greatest mass of the plant. Err on the side of caution and go a little less (greater distance) until you see how your environment feels about it. Mylar can increase PAR by up to 25%, depending on variables. Pay attention to the shape of the cone, don't put the light the recommended distance if it's going to leave appendages sticking out of that cone.

So sorry about your accident. Welcome aboard, i am an okie too, looking forward to my medical card! You are a good example of why we need this in 50 states.
I have already gotten my medical card. It didn't take very long at all about a week. I paid $75 for the Dr. to get me the paper that I needed to use to get my card. They approve you in just a matter of a few days. Because I'm on medicare my license only cost $20. That really surprised me. The original fee is $100. Go for it.

Cool. I'm willing to bet that it's rated at 600w equivalent and is actually somewhere in the region of 250w drawn at the wall. This is called your true wattage. We won't worry about any of that just yet but that is a powerful light for a seedling so I would certainly hang it a bit higher than recommended for the first few days :)

Oh, and take the domes off the pots, the condensation can turn it into a concave lens. It's purpose during germination is to provide a little leeway if you're late on a moisture check so the seed doesn't dry in mid-hatch. After that it's not needed, in my limited experience. I don't dome clones, either. I stick them in a peat tab off to the side of the tent and mark them Duty. Haven't lost one yet.

Don't think you have to baby them, just don't neglect them. These things have been holding sails and anchors on ships for millenia. They'll grow in sidewalk cracks. Common sense is the best gardening tool, but unfortunately the last thing it is is common.
Okay, I removed the domes and put my seedlings in my grow tent. I have them 46 inches from my 600 watt LED light. I tested the soil. PH was 6.5, light was 1 and moister was 5. If anyone thinks I've done anything wrong comment please. Why do I feel like an expectant father?

Back
Top Bottom