72hrs dark time before harvest?

dogstick

Hey all, quick question here. Have some harvests under my belt but never did the 72 hours of dark time before the cut. I have been reading up on it and don't know if it is really worth it. I read that it makes the buds swell up. Do any of you guys do the dark time before harvest. Still have a few weeks but would like to get some opinions on it before the time comes. :thanks:

i`ve never tried it, I go by the look of the trichs, 3 dayz could put me too far from what I`m after, or maybe I`m just not willing to change my wayz, lol

Thanks Diesel for your input. I was just researching it on icmag.com and some prefer because of resin build up but some also dealt with mold because of it. It seems that 12hrs of dark time before the cut really is enough so I dont think I will do any longer than that.

Dr. Atomic the keeper of NORTHERN LIGHTS strain swears by the 48hr darkness. I've tried with Master Kush, Blueberry, and Sensi Star Bull Rider cross and I could not tell the difference...

The dark isn't to swell the buds, it's to drive the last possible bit of resin production from the plant. The benefits are somewhat strain specfic, but it won't hurt at all. Give it a go.

I inspected tricomes before and after 48 hours darkness. No joke the main stem of the trichome almost doubled in size and they all almost fell over top heavy. Definitely looks as if it does very much so work with thc production through the tricomes. Theres a great video on YouTube with someone taking 3 types of the same weed that had had 24/48 and 72 hours darkness and had them all lab tested in US. The 48 hours sample had the highest thc count and the 72 hours the lowest. The video concluded that 48 hours darkness does work and its the sweet spot timing wise out of 24/48 and 72.

I have done extensive testing with this and have found that 48 hours of darkness is a bit too much... the sweet spot seems to be 36 hours. This works out very well for me in my grow op too as the timing is perfect. I take my plant out of the grow room either before or right after its dark period of 12 hours, and then wait till the same exact time the next day for the chop... 36 hours of darkness. This is enough time to thicken up the trichomes quite a bit but also not giving too much time so that the plant starts reacting to the lack of light. I have found no additional benefit in going longer than 36 hours, having tried 48 and even 72 hours several times against test plants either not getting darkness or only getting 36 hours.

Why does this work? We know that bright light degrades trichomes. The dark period gives the plant some extra time to grow the trichomes without the light causing them to degrade a bit the next morning. This practice gives you the largest percentage of active non degraded trichomes at the chop, and then if you keep them in the dark all through the drying and curing process, those trichomes never have to degrade in bright light ever again. The extra process makes logical sense, and experimentation shows that this extra care at the end really does work.

I have done extensive testing with this and have found that 48 hours of darkness is a bit too much... the sweet spot seems to be 36 hours. This works out very well for me in my grow op too as the timing is perfect. I take my plant out of the grow room either before or right after its dark period of 12 hours, and then wait till the same exact time the next day for the chop... 36 hours of darkness. This is enough time to thicken up the trichomes quite a bit but also not giving too much time so that the plant starts reacting to the lack of light. I have found no additional benefit in going longer than 36 hours, having tried 48 and even 72 hours several times against test plants either not getting darkness or only getting 36 hours.

Why does this work? We know that bright light degrades trichomes. The dark period gives the plant some extra time to grow the trichomes without the light causing them to degrade a bit the next morning. This practice gives you the largest percentage of active non degraded trichomes at the chop, and then if you keep them in the dark all through the drying and curing process, those trichomes never have to degrade in bright light ever again. The extra process makes logical sense, and experimentation shows that this extra care at the end really does work.
WOW what an answer! I am doing this as we speak just hit the 24 hour mark so now I am going to take your advice and chop them down at 36 hours! Now I will have to get up before work tomorrow:cough::lot-o-toke:

Hey all, quick question here. Have some harvests under my belt but never did the 72 hours of dark time before the cut. I have been reading up on it and don't know if it is really worth it. I read that it makes the buds swell up. Do any of you guys do the dark time before harvest. Still have a few weeks but would like to get some opinions on it before the time com
WOW what an answer! I am doing this as we speak just hit the 24 hour mark so now I am going to take your advice and chop them down at 36 hours! Now I will have to get up before work tomorrow:cough::lot-o-toke:
Hey all, quick question here. Have some harvests under my belt but never did the 72 hours of dark time before the cut. I have been reading up on it and don't know if it is really worth it. I read that it makes the buds swell up. Do any of you guys do the dark time before harvest. Still have a few weeks but would like to get some opinions on it before the time comes. :thanks:
i run mine 24 to 36 hours dark time then i harvest all big leaves off cut them and hand the whole plant upside down in the dark in the same room they grew in sealer up and go back in 8,10 days to harvest for me it was the best flavor for me but everyone different so try many ways see what you like

Back
Top Bottom