A few newbie questions

burn1down

I've been reading alot on this, and it's really informative so thanks in advance to everyone. Unfortunately i started my grow before i even knew about 420mag and hopefully didn't damage my crop too bad. Okay i started with 40 seedlings, no specifics just a collection i'd developed. I wasn't sure what i was going to do for lighting so i used 2 t12 flourecent fixtures with regular 40 watt coolwhites, which worked great for seedlings. I'm now in the veg stage at 13 days and clearly need something better. I even went to lowes and got 2 ecolux t12 bulbs (based in red spectrum) and put 1 in each fixture. I definetely need more lighting.. working on that. Another mistake was i transplanted into 1/2 gallon peat pots and used organic Miracle grow, which i realize now means i can't flush before flowering stage. What problems am i going to run into, and what can i do when the time comes? I've been going through grow journals and the progress at 2 weeks is showing a little more foliage than im getting, i do have funds for lighting but very little so i'm looking for some tips.

Anyways, any comments or feedback is appreciated. This forum has been extremely helpful, and it's great to be here :thanks:

If you can ditch the peet pots and MG soil. The time release nutes in the MG will cause you issues. Very hard on new seedlings and young plants. Peet pots can cause PH problems. Light on a tight budget, CFL's or shop Craig's list for deals on good equipment. I scored some nice T5 lights off of CL.

If you can ditch the peet pots and MG soil. The time release nutes in the MG will cause you issues. Very hard on new seedlings and young plants. Peet pots can cause PH problems. Light on a tight budget, CFL's or shop Craig's list for deals on good equipment. I scored some nice T5 lights off of CL.

Thanks for stopping by Screwnut. I was concerned about it when it comes time to transplant would i be able to flush in the 2-3 gallon pots then before i put them in 12/12? I'm definetely going to look into the CFL's just temporary for a first grow, my 2nd i'll definetely step it up. I checked out your grow man, looking great cant wait to see some buds, keep up the good work:ganjamon:

HPS in Veg

I hadn't heard much about the CFL's i know HPS is best for lighting in flowering but would it be effective in veg stage?

HPS can be used in veg. I've ran a couple all HPS cycles and my only complaint is that the HPS light cause plants to stretch. So u end up with some pretty tall plants, with more space than I'd care for between branches. I use metal halide for veg.

Re: HPS in Veg

HPS can be used in veg. I've ran a couple all HPS cycles and my only complaint is that the HPS light cause plants to stretch. So u end up with some pretty tall plants, with more space than I'd care for between branches. I use metal halide for veg.

Yeah, the lights i got from lowes are based in the red spectrum and it seems like i'm getting more stem growth than i want. Also, to go with 400 watt MH or HPS can i just get them from lowes or do i need specialty grow bulbs? I'm really new to this so bare with me lol thanks again :grinjoint:

Re: HPS in Veg

Yeah, the lights i got from lowes are based in the red spectrum and it seems like i'm getting more stem growth than i want. Also, to go with 400 watt MH or HPS can i just get them from lowes or do i need specialty grow bulbs? I'm really new to this so bare with me lol thanks again :grinjoint:

U should check out a grow shop for HID (high intensity discharge) lamps and ballasts if at all possible. MH and HPS are different types of lamps/bulbs. Never heard of NE1 getting them from Lowes. U can also order online.

Hiya,

MH for Veg (for stocky growth),, HPS for flower. you can use the same ballasts for both just a matter of changing the bulbs.

looks goo,, all the best with it.

Back
Top Bottom