Advice For The In-Experienced

DannyDew

I've been reading posts and information off of this site for a few days. I've gone from knowing nothing to having a rough idea.

Just wanted to pick you're brains for advice/help/tips for a first time grower. I've gathered Hydroponics is more advanced and isn't suitable for first timers -

The grow tent/ kit I'm looking at says it has everything I'll need.. But I could use all the help I could get - I'm a total noob. Thanks in advance :thumb:

Hey DD--

Welcome to 420magazine, great place isn't it. With loads and loads of information, try not to get overwhelmed by it. Well, if you're talking about dwc, I would think it might be but that doesn't mean people didn't start of doing it. If that's what you're interested in doing, after some research which it seems you're already doing so why not take the chance? I started off with soil but now uses coco coir which is considered hydroponics but I still hand feed. Maybe one day I will be bold and venture into dwc but not yet.

We don't mind questions here, fire away. How do you learn if you don't ask?

Afternoon mate and thanks for the welcoming reply! If I'm totally honest I'm trying to figure out the differents between hydroponics and areoponics - I've read it's just the different way to feed the plants their nutes. I'm basically thinking of buying a kit for about £800 setting it all up (thats another battle lol) the kit involves 2x600 watt lights and fans blah blah it's 4.2m x 1.2m x 2m I think. I'm throwing myself in at the deep end with a large grow (optimistic) I'm going from seeds as I've read the cons of cuttings (clones) and don't fancy it. Once I've got it all set up.. Could you tell me good soil or nutes to use?

Afternoon mate and thanks for the welcoming reply! If I'm totally honest I'm trying to figure out the differents between hydroponics and areoponics - I've read it's just the different way to feed the plants their nutes. I'm basically thinking of buying a kit for about £800 setting it all up (thats another battle lol) the kit involves 2x600 watt lights and fans blah blah it's 4.2m x 1.2m x 2m I think. I'm throwing myself in at the deep end with a large grow (optimistic) I'm going from seeds as I've read the cons of cuttings (clones) and don't fancy it. Once I've got it all set up.. Could you tell me good soil or nutes to use?

Look @ 420fied's journal. Its a fast easy way to grow with good results. Less expensive too.
2 Liter Hempy SOG

Hey Puff thanks, I'll take a look.

There is some useful info there Puf, a d it's semi 'Dumbed down' which is perfect for me! BUT that grow was started from clones, I'm planning on the seed route. I'll continue to read on though as there is still loads to learn for me! It's just getting my grow started and watering/feeding them right Im concerned about most..

You can do it from seed, start the seed in jiffy cups or rockwool cubes, then place them in your planter once you have good roots established or grow a mother and take clones.

It would be hard or impossible to over water using the 2liter method because you punch holes in the planter about 2 inches up from the bottom. Any excess water will run right out. Your plant will feed off of whats below the holes and get plenty of oxygen above the holes.

You can do it from seed, start the seed in jiffy cups or rockwool cubes, then place them in your planter once you have good roots established or grow a mother and take clones.

It would be hard or impossible to over water using the 2liter method because you punch holes in the planter about 2 inches up from the bottom. Any excess water will run right out. Your plant will feed off of whats below the holes and get plenty of oxygen above the holes.

Apologies, my inexperience is showing. You have been a great help already Puff. Im going to re-read the begging of that thread, I'm sure I'll be back firing more questions in a minute.

I will do Puff thanks, taking in all this info is a little overwhelming.. There are certain terms I'm getting to grips with.

I'm going to fire a few questions out if anyone could answer them or leave and comment which they think would be useful that would be great. Right here I go ;

1. Once my seeds are germinated (I think that's the right term) the seed splits and the tiny white root starts to show.. Do I then plant them?

2. My set up contains 2x 600watt lights surely up there's a period of time I leave my new seedlings without the lights on them before I start to cycle the light?

3. Could someone dumb down the process of watering feeding.. I thought I'd mix a nute soloution with filtered water then water my plants like you would water a regular plant? Is this totally wrong?

It's just the initial getting started period I'm struggling with I'm confident with the rest. Im asking a lot I know but I'm keen to learn! Could someone bullet point the process of getting started ? Like really dumb it down though lol words. I don't even know what soil ect to use or does that even matter .

Once I'm started I'll create a journal so all those that has helped me can see my grows progress. Exciting stuff! Thanks all :)

I will try to answer to the best of my ability...I'm like you I like things kept simple. Don't worry, you will get use to the terms that are used around here. There's still some I don't even know yet, now to the answers for those questions....

1. Yes, when the seed cracks open and you see the little taproot, that is when you plant. Personally, I let mine get a little long before I put mine in soil. Someone will say exactly how long it should be but that is just my preference.

2. As for the lighting, I am going to let someone else answer that for you. But if I hazzard a guess, I woudn't have those lights too close at first, I am not sure but how many plants are you planning on growing? Must be a lot with 2 600w lights.

3.yes, you mix the nutes as specified on bottle, though when first starting off feeding nutes, most recommend that you dilute it in order for the plant to get use to it. Sometimes when you give the exact amount of nutes as directed on bottle, it can be a little too strong and cause nute burn. Once you have your nutes mixed then you feed to your plant til you see run off in the bottom of the tray. Personally, I usually water every 2 -3 days or when the pot feels light, that is a clue that your soilis dry. You can also stick your finger about 2 inches in the dirt to see if it is wet or moist, if it is then you don't need to water/feed. Kinda simple, right? Though I am not sure about using filtered water. Someone will need to chime in on that for you.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with asking questions, we all did and still do at some point. Trust, folks don't mind the questions or helping out. As for soil, there is so many out there, so many choices...I know some use happy frog, foxfarm Ocean forest, Pro Mix, I mean there is just so many to choose from or you can try coco coir which is a soilless mix. Some even use Miracle Grow, though some don't suggest you use it but then there are people here that does use it. I am not sure which kind of Miracle Grow would be best but I have heard good things about their organic soil. I really think it's a personal choice of what you would like to use. Hope I was some type of help.

I will try to answer to the best of my ability...I'm like you I like things kept simple. Don't worry, you will get use to the terms that are used around here. There's still some I don't even know yet, now to the answers for those questions....

1. Yes, when the seed cracks open and you see the little taproot, that is when you plant. Personally, I let mine get a little long before I put mine in soil. Someone will say exactly how long it should be but that is just my preference.

2. As for the lighting, I am going to let someone else answer that for you. But if I hazzard a guess, I woudn't have those lights too close at first, I am not sure but how many plants are you planning on growing? Must be a lot with 2 600w lights.

3.yes, you mix the nutes as specified on bottle, though when first starting off feeding nutes, most recommend that you dilute it in order for the plant to get use to it. Sometimes when you give the exact amount of nutes as directed on bottle, it can be a little too strong and cause nute burn. Once you have your nutes mixed then you feed to your plant til you see run off in the bottom of the tray. Personally, I usually water every 2 -3 days or when the pot feels light, that is a clue that your soilis dry. You can also stick your finger about 2 inches in the dirt to see if it is wet or moist, if it is then you don't need to water/feed. Kinda simple, right? Though I am not sure about using filtered water. Someone will need to chime in on that for you.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with asking questions, we all did and still do at some point. Trust, folks don't mind the questions or helping out. As for soil, there is so many out there, so many choices...I know some use happy frog, foxfarm Ocean forest, Pro Mix, I mean there is just so many to choose from or you can try coco coir which is a soilless mix. Some even use Miracle Grow, though some don't suggest you use it but then there are people here that does use it. I am not sure which kind of Miracle Grow would be best but I have heard good things about their organic soil. I really think it's a personal choice of what you would like to use. Hope I was some type of help.

Thanks for taking the time QueenT! That sounds pretty simple. I'll do my research on what soil to use! I'll keep you posted :high-five:

Hey, no problem, DD. I love to help when I can. I am with you, I prefer to keep it simple, all those big words confuses the hell out of me. And I know math and science was not my best classes back in the day, I hated them. One thing I have learned is every thing is not gospel, it usually depends on your plant. Not saying something wouldn't work just maybe not for one plant but it may work for another. Yes, keep me posted and I do hope you will start a journal.

Back
Top Bottom