Advice n stuff

catgo

This little baby sprouted in a damp bag. It was unexpected to say the least but I'd like to keep it alive. Just alive. Don't need huge yields or good smoke.

Punch me if you want, but it's in miracle grow soil. Potting mix. It has the word organic on it but I doubt that means anything. I mixed in perlite and vermiculite. It seems like most of the "nutrient" balls burst already.

I have a soil brewing with blood and bone meal + dolomitic lime and will be getting kelp meal soon.

It's outside during the day and under 3 13w 6500k bulbs at night/cloudy days. More light to come.

21934.jpg
13942.jpg

As you can see, my cat got into the pot when it only had 2 true leaves. She ripped off a cotyledon even.

The remaining cotyledon is yellowing.
Some leaves have very feint white (maybe a bit of yellow) tips but haven't got any worse.
It's about the size of a golf tee. Is this considered stretching?

Should I add blood meal now? Or wait until I transplant to the new soil? When should I transplant?

And what is that bulb on the stem? I was thinking it broke/dampened a bit and the bulb is where it healed.

Thanks for your time.

It looks pretty fragile to be transplanting just yet. You also don't want to overload it on nutes and burn the plants. I would wait a week or two depending on the size container it is currently in then transplant it and add a small amount of blood meal then. A lot of people give their plants way more nutes than necessary.

Miracle grow don't do any soil that does not have both fast and slow release nutes already added to it. If you add anymore nutes to that soil the plant will probably run into difficulties.

How old is the seedling?

The soil you have prepared needs at least 30 days cooking and ideally 60 days before you can use it without burning your plants and stunting them.

Like most cannabis growers I don't like Miracle Grow cos cannabis does not like it - but I don't judge other people's choices. So if you are going that route stick to it and don't start adding other amendments because the plant cannot cope with that overload of nutes.

Hey, looks like you got a fighter there!

Miracle Grow can burn seedlings, but it seems you've already got a plant with its 3rd Node growing in, so I am going to assume this little seedling is a fighter. Your in what I would consider to be the transition stage to Veg, which is both reassuring and scary, which is why I am sure your here both because your a little sure it might be ready for a trans to your new soil you have brewing, but your also scared to kill her.

One of the main reasons seedlings don't need outside nutrients is because the cotyledons contain the nutrients the seed used to grow its root system and first leaves, as the plant becomes more independent, the cotyledons will be used for their nutrients and discarded. So yellowing is natural as the Chlorophyll that makes the leaves green is being produced in the higher leaves instead, where the chlorophyll has better chances to be activated by light allowing the plant to undergo photosynthesis, fixate Co2 molecules, and grow. Your plant has a few leaves, your 3rd node is on the way even, so the situation with your cotyledon is normal,and I personally think that you should not transplant to a more nutrient saturated soil yet. If your absolutely desperate too, I suggest mixing in a lot of perlite so you can flush your soil in case you begin to notice burn.

Stretching is sometimes unavoidable when growing outside, or when using weaker lighting, this is where staking can come in handy. A wooden skewer or dowel can help to make sure your plant stays upright until its stem grows thicker. Since your plant is growing outside as well, it is true that the wind should help keep your stem strong. this is true so its really up to you to see if your stem is weak, try gently shaking the plant and see how it fares against a little force, if you feel its very wobbly to the slightest touch staking might be needed early.

I wish you best of luck

Bapple and Greeley know their stuff, definitely take their advice and try to use a better soil without any kind of nutes in it when you start your seedlings. Seedling starter mix without nutes is the best IMO A lot of people put them into a hot mix and fry their plants before they even have a chance and it will really stunt their growth.

If that little bugger is outside then it isn't considered stretch since its getting as much light as possible really. I wouldn't give anything to that seedling yet, just water and let it grow until its at least 5 inches tall, then it might be safe to transplant. The little bulb on the stem is probably from it bending and breaking at that point, then repaired itself to stand upright again, so the bulb is just a scar really. I'd also dump the Miracle Grow for something else, the plant will just suffer otherwise from the excess nutes most likely in it.

Back
Top Bottom