After solo cups can I transplant straight too 10 gallon smart pots?

StayLowKeyBro

Just wondering if it would be okay if I went from a solo cup to a 10 gallon smart pot? (final pot size) The reason why I only want to transplant once is because I'm a first timer and I'm scared that if I transplant to many times I'll screw something up. Also I have feminized seeds so I want to reduce any stresses my plants encounter as much as possible so they don't turn hermie. I plan on vegging for around 60 days. What scared me off was the fact that I would have to transplant from a 5 gal pot to a 10 gal pot. By the time the 5 gal is ready to transplant to the 10 gal the plants will be a fairly decent size. I don't want too risk something going terribly wrong at that point so that's why I'm asking if it would be alright to start in the solo cup then transplant straight to the 10 gal. I've read that if you put the plant in a pot too big of its size you'll have to be careful when watering. Soil and nutrients are both organic. After I transplant to the 10 gal I plan on using some Bioroot too help the young plants develope strong and massive root systems. Thanks too anyone that replies. All heavy Indica's in the 10 gals.

Hey StayLow,

It wouldn't hurt anything to put the plant straight into the 10 gallon. But you might get a way better yield if you pot up a couple of times. Once a seedling pops in the solo cup, I leave it in there for about 2 weeks at which time roots are usually starting to curl at the bottom. Then I will go to a #1 pot and so on.

I know it seems scary your first time out, but you have to really screw up to mess it up. Expecially if you let the plant start to get root bound. Once the plant is at that stage, you can just slid it in and out of it's pot, no stress.
20141019_204001.jpg

I fill the pot the plant is going into all the way to with soil, and then I take an empty solo cup and push it down in the middle of the new pot until the top of the cup is even with the soil. Then slide the plant from the cup, loosen the roots a little if they are bound like mine and put her in her new home. Water and if not the next day then very soon she'll be happy as can be.

I'll actually be transplanting a clone or two, probably tomorrow night. I could try and shoot a short video if you want.

I know you can do it! If you really don't feel comfortable this time, plant something else you don't care about as much and practice with that. Once you've done two or three plants you'll know exactly what you are doing :)

Good luck and welcome to :420: If you have any other questions or need help just ask. If I don't know the answer, and there is a good chance I don't, I will find you someone who does and we'll get you sorted post haste :)

Hey, thanks for the info, I would like to maximum the yield and if it involves transplanting a few extra times then I'll follow the steps and do the best I can. Which setup do you think would produce a better yeild? solo cup - 1 gal -3 gal - 10 gal. Or would this setup get me a bigger yeild? solo cup- 1 gal - 3 three - add in a 5 gal this time - 10 gal. Also I have nutrients that are recommended for transplants so I will give the plants some of that after I transplant them.

I would probably go: Solo, 1, 3, 10. I would probably veg for 8-9 weeks(Starting when I went into the 1gal). 3 weeks in the 1 gallon, and 5 in the three. Then another week or so in the 10 before flipping, that way it can get over any stress that may happen, which will be minimal, if even noticeable, before trying to flower.

-Water the plant you are going to pot up a day or two before you do it. You want the soil wet enough to be a little sticky. If it's too wet, it will crumble under it's own weight, if it's too dry it'll just fall away. I watered this seedling last night and potted it up today
- Now the plant in in it's new pot, water the whole new pot to kinda join the solis together a little better.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck it might be a little rocky, but don't worry too hard. I've knocked seedling over so the ENTIRE plant shows all the way down to the tip of the tap root. You'll be just fine, buddy. You can do it :high-five:

Oh and let me know how it goes :)

Looks a lot easier now! Every time I pot up I plan to put the current pot im using down in too the empty pot's soil too make a perfect hole every time. I'll make a journal on here when I'm all ready.

If you have the room for sure do that ! I go keg cup, 1gallon, then 7 gallon. Check out my garden thread it may help. And I can answer more specific questions there! Happy Growing buddy

Back
Top Bottom