Anyone ever used air-cooled HID lighting?

DaddyKush

I know there are variables involved, but generally speaking how much of a decrease in temperature can a grower expect to see over standard HID?

I use two aircooled 600 watt HPS grow lights. I’ve used them in 4x4 tents and currently use them in an open room.

The temperature reduction depends on your fan speed, and the air temperature that passes over the bulb.

In my situation, extracting the room air over the bulb it reduces the ambient temperature in a 4x4 tent by roughly 6 degrees Celsius. It also massively reduces the temperature at the bulb.

I use two aircooled 600 watt HPS grow lights. I’ve used them in 4x4 tents and currently use them in an open room.

The temperature reduction depends on your fan speed, and the air temperature that passes over the bulb.

In my situation, extracting the room air over the bulb it reduces the ambient temperature in a 4x4 tent by roughly 6 degrees Celsius. It also massively reduces the temperature at the bulb.
My fan isn't super powerful, about 200 cfm, and the grow area is small, about 5 square feet. I usually have to dim my 600w HPS to 400w or even as low as 250 when summer temps get too high.

Another question: anyone know if CMH lighting is a good option for reducing temps?

My fan isn't super powerful, about 200 cfm, and the grow area is small, about 5 square feet. I usually have to dim my 600w HPS to 400w or even as low as 250 when summer temps get too high.

Another question: anyone know if CMH lighting is a good option for reducing temps?

Running your light at night if you don’t already do would be the fastest way to lower your temps.

Since you already have a light and an extractor and some ducting the most cost effective option would be to purchase an air cooled hood and raise your light a little.

CMH is still a HID light, they run hot too.

Running your light at night if you don’t already do would be the fastest way to lower your temps.

CMH is still a HID light, they run hot too.
I do run the light at night, it helps a little bit but temps still get up close to 100 degrees even with the fan pulling the air out. My understanding is that CMH do produce a lot less heat than standard HID, based on test data.

I do run the light at night, it helps a little bit but temps still get up close to 100 degrees even with the fan pulling the air out. My understanding is that CMH do produce a lot less heat than standard HID, based on test data.

Close to 100f so that’s ... about 38 degrees C! As much as an aircooled light would lower the temperature a bit, it’s not going to bring it down below the mid 70’s or below 28C.

Do you have a grow journal or some pics of your setup?

If I keep the tent opened a bit with a large fan blowing in, I can stabilize the temp at around 80F, and I get terrific results in terms of yield. But I'd still prefer a little less heat. It's just one less headache to worry about. Would the air cooled light conceivably bring it down to the 80F range in a small room?

Back
Top Bottom