A Nice HID Grow Light

DaMunchieMan

420 Member
Looking for 2 nice 600 or 1000 Watt HID Grow Lights. Looking to possibly run 2 HID in a 4x10x8 grow room instead of LED. I can get 2 HID lights for less than 1 LED grow light and still have money left over.

What is a good brand?

What do I look for in a HID?

What reflector is best? (I was looking at air-cooled)

Most of the magic is in the bulbs. I usually buy Hortilux. As for ballasts go digital and dimmable. I can’t really speak to brand names. I’ve been using some Lumatek ballasts for five or six years. Out of three, one broke a couple years ago and I replaced it with whatever no-name ballast my grow supplier had.

Most of the magic is in the bulbs. I usually buy Hortilux.

Eye Hortilux used to be by far and away the best high pressure sodium bulbs in the industry. Probably still are. Unfortunately, the company was well aware of that fact :rolleyes: . How much are they selling for these days?

Yeah.... :( The last two i bought were around $120 Canadian each for 600w. So about $10 a month per bulb which is pretty reasonable I guess. You can get cheap bulbs for less than half that but I’ve come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for.

Yeah I've been looking at the bulbs and the ballast and the reflectors and the Kits.

iPower seems to be the best bang for the buck.

SunStream seems to be the best overall.

I read that getting a 1000 watt setup sets you up for more light penetration and more grams per watt, however a 600-watt is more efficient.

So I face the Dilemma, going with 2 1000w HID, with 2 600 watt HID, or dishin out a little extra money and going with 2 Mars Hydro TS3000 or Spider Farmer SF4000. So about $1,000 if I go LED or $500 if I go HID.

If your walls are very reflective to light (properly prepped, primed, and painted the brightest flat or eggshell finish white available in your area), you could probably do pretty good with three top-shelf 600-watt setups. IDK what you would consider "best bang for the buck" other than top-shelf quality components, BtW. I mean... you're not growing tomatoes, and bud doesn't cost $2.49/pound when you have to buy it to make up for a lack at harvest time :rofl: .

If your walls are very reflective to white (properly prepped, primed, and painted the brightest flat or eggshell finish white available in your area), you could probably do pretty good with three top-shelf 600-watt setups. IDK what you would consider "best bang for the buck" other than top-shelf quality components, BtW. I mean... you're not growing tomatoes, and bud doesn't cost $2.49/pound when you have to buy it to make up for a lack at harvest time :rofl: .
That's exactly why I'm doing my due diligence and researching and asking questions to do it the right way the first time LOL I don't want no stinking tomatoes although they're hella yummy when they're green and fried up

That's exactly why I'm doing my due diligence and researching and asking questions to do it the right way the first time LOL I don't want no stinking tomatoes although they're hella yummy when they're green and fried up
Have you considered your power supply yet? That’s where I would start before buying lights. Could eliminate some costly repairs to your home/space by figuring out your electrical situation first.

Yeah I've been looking at the bulbs and the ballast and the reflectors and the Kits.

I read that getting a 1000 watt setup sets you up for more light penetration and more grams per watt, however a 600-watt is more efficient.

So I face the Dilemma, going with 2 1000w HID, with 2 600 watt HID, or dishin out a little extra money and going with 2 Mars Hydro TS3000 or Spider Farmer SF4000. So about $1,000 if I go LED or $500 if I go HID.
Those LEDs only draw about 450 watts. One of those won’t compete with a1000w HPS.

I also just came across the Phlizon Cob LEDs. They dont seem to bad. Definitely not top of the line but comparable to the Optic 4, 6, and 8. And for a third of the price.
I prefer Hps, but my yields tripled with out any extra effort compared to LED. So if you have the power to run them and keep them cool that’s what I would do. But that’s personal opinion and I used budget LEDs

I've only ever used ipower fans and they suck. Maybe their lights are better, but the company isn't known for quality even at their price point.

I would look at double ended. They last a bit longer, and a better quality light. I like Weasel Cracker's first statement

I've just one grow with LEDs and I agree they are not like HID lights as far as output, just my case this time, I've done inside under cmh/hps and gotten better results but I have more than just lights to blame for that. Ask,follow Mocha for HID results, man has it dialed in on that and explains things very well.
Here's the thing tho, HID isn't as efficient imo. When you have to run extra power to ventilation because it's so hot, your break even point tips down. You get some extra grams, that you paid for by running the intake and exhaust more or your central air conditioning system. Add in a humidifier..ya see? If you spend twice the money on LED boards that dont produce the heat then the break even isnt tipped with the extra costs. GG

in the long term you are gonna wanna budget for led.

ran 8 x 8 x 8 rooms with both led and hid fixture. led pulled almost 2/3 less power at the end of the day for the same production. that's a larger space though, a smaller space could expect a reduction closer to 50 %, it's about what i see now in my spaces.

led costs crazy up front, but is worth it on the back end. you have to buy decent led though, which can be it's own maze of horseshit. you can also diy killer fixtures for pennies on the dollar. gives you the added advantage of a custom rig with full coverage for your space. not always something a pre-built can do in any type of tech.

final thought : hid lighting in general is on it's last legs. there still is some market, but all commercial is switching worldwide. that process is occurring exponentially, meaning the industry itself has fundamentally changed. you see the same thing just beginning now with gas vs electric vehicles. only grow lighting is much farther down the path away from hid.

in the long term you are gonna wanna budget for led.

ran 8 x 8 x 8 rooms with both led and hid fixture. led pulled almost 2/3 less power at the end of the day for the same production. that's a larger space though, a smaller space could expect a reduction closer to 50 %, it's about what i see now in my spaces.

led costs crazy up front, but is worth it on the back end. you have to buy decent led though, which can be it's own maze of horseshit. you can also diy killer fixtures for pennies on the dollar. gives you the added advantage of a custom rig with full coverage for your space. not always something a pre-built can do in any type of tech.

final thought : hid lighting in general is on it's last legs. there still is some market, but all commercial is switching worldwide. that process is occurring exponentially, meaning the industry itself has fundamentally changed. you see the same thing just beginning now with gas vs electric vehicles. only grow lighting is much farther down the path away from hid.
Well put...

@TorturedSoul is sad .... i understand the sentiments .. :passitleft:

i gave my magnetic ballasts away to a needy grower ten or so yrs after i stopped using them. by that point i had both digital hid ballasts and led fixtures running. it was a bit tough to do all the same lol .. like saying goodbye to an old trusty friend ... :confused:

i'm all led now though. there's just no reason left to be hid. but i switched to high power led white light before it was widely available. we had access through non growing sources and some early industry knowledge.

you couldn't pay me to run hid now.

there's just no reason left (for me) to be hid

Not so for me. I’m using mostly HID for now because;

-It’s cheap and it works reliably as it has for decades, I’m glad the guinea pigs spent thousands on their ‘amazing’ blurples they were boasting about five or six years ago, because someone had to do it.
But now they're sitting on obsolete junk they paid a fortune for, and I’m still using the exact same lights as I was then.
Yes of course LED is now much better than it was, and more efficient in terms of light output per watt. Spend a few thousand dollars and you can save money....;)

- HPS grows great bud.

Looking around the forum year after year I hear a whole lot of talk- but I’m just not seeing buds that make me envious- except maybe at Graytail’s place. But he’s got a zillion QB panels.

- It heats my growroom for me -which in my case makes it way more efficient than LED. What - I’m going to spend all that money and now I have to buy an electric heater too...?

I have some Q board panels. But I’m not switching over to all LED quite yet because:

-It’s way overpriced still. Wait a year or two and you’ll see. In a couple years we will be buying better LEDs for cheaper. At this point I’d have to spend a couple thousand dollars just to be where I already am with HPS. So why would I?

-Doesn’t provide enough heat for me. :laughtwo:

- I’m very tired of LED snake oil salesman and LED preachers. Maybe I’ll take Bluter’s suggestion and build my own panels.

Whatever you get, get fairly high quality, so you can continue to grow good dope for years to come. Whether you spend a lot up front now on LED, build your own, or go cheap with HID, the main thing is you want to keep growing good weed. As far as electrical costs, venting, that sort of stuff- that varies by region. But the math is fairly straightforward, so with a little number crunching you can figure out what your costs will be and what makes sense for you.

There are a bunch of lighting alternatives, and HID is one. So don’t let people say otherwise. Situations vary and many don’t like the heat, but here in Antarctica HID is the cats meow.

What you mainly want to avoid is buying something that will be broken or obsolete in two years.

Not so for me. I’m using mostly HID for now because;

-It’s cheap and it works reliably as it has for decades, I’m glad the guinea pigs spent thousands on their ‘amazing’ blurples they were boasting about five or six years ago, because someone had to do it.
But now they're sitting on obsolete junk they paid a fortune for, and I’m still using the exact same lights as I was then.
Yes of course LED is now much better than it was, and more efficient in terms of light output per watt. Spend a few thousand dollars and you can save money....;)

- HPS grows great bud.

Looking around the forum year after year I hear a whole lot of talk- but I’m just not seeing buds that make me envious- except maybe at Graytail’s place. But he’s got a zillion QB panels.

- It heats my growroom for me -which in my case makes it way more efficient than LED. What - I’m going to spend all that money and now I have to buy an electric heater too...?

I have some Q board panels. But I’m not switching over to all LED quite yet because:

-It’s way overpriced still. Wait a year or two and you’ll see. In a couple years we will be buying better LEDs for cheaper. At this point I’d have to spend a couple thousand dollars just to be where I already am with HPS. So why would I?

-Doesn’t provide enough heat for me. :laughtwo:

- I’m very tired of LED snake oil salesman and LED preachers. Maybe I’ll take Bluter’s suggestion and build my own panels.

Whatever you get, get fairly high quality, so you can continue to grow good dope for years to come. Whether you spend a lot up front now on LED, build your own, or go cheap with HID, the main thing is you want to keep growing good weed. As far as electrical costs, venting, that sort of stuff- that varies by region. But the math is fairly straightforward, so with a little number crunching you can figure out what your costs will be and what makes sense for you.

There are a bunch of lighting alternatives, and HID is one. So don’t let people say otherwise. Situations vary and many don’t line the heat, but here in Antarctica HID is the cats meow.

What you mainly want to avoid is buying something that will be broken or obsolete in two years.

i would like to add an extra like to this post - led development is like computer development was a few years ago. it had a tendency to get surpassed by light yrs in what was a stupid short time - :straightface:

early adopters could get left in the dust by newer better stuff.

the good news is new peak tech isn't pushing much in new horizons or savings. the big leap is white light emitters.

my cob rigs are easy 5+ yrs out of date on any parameter you might like to try. i have zero issues running them against anything in comparison. but i built them to be run hard and under driven - on purpose.

we ran huge white led cob before it was commercially available.

this flower run might be my first on a pre built to try. stay tuned .. :bongrip:

edit: all the big cob rigs we ran early are all still pumping hard. they are going on 10 yrs easy.

Have you considered your power supply yet? That’s where I would start before buying lights. Could eliminate some costly repairs to your home/space by figuring out your electrical situation first.

Whatever you get, get fairly high quality, so you can continue to grow good dope for years to come. Whether you spend a lot up front now on LED, build your own
How much cheaper is building your own LED as opposed to buying one prebuilt?

And where can you get decent equipment to build my own LED?

Is the end product any better than buying a Spider Farmer or Mars Hydro?

I'm definitely interested in learning more about this DIY

Back
Top Bottom