Anyone Familiar With Cree 2520/2530 COBs?

If someone has an LED panel that uses either 2520 or 2530, something like that (I'm not sure which) and wishes to upgrade them, is it as simple as removing the old ones and installing newer (model) ones, or do the drivers/??? have to be upgraded, too? And I am also wondering about the physical size aspect of the question; I don't suppose that all COBs are the exact same size. Even if a larger one would physically fit into the space, it'd seem counterproductive to go with one that was larger than the opening (because there's no reason to light the inside of the LED housing :rolleyes: )

Therefore: Which COB(s) can be installed in place of the "25" series of Cree cobs, and what, exactly, does this thing involve?

If someone has an LED panel that uses either 2520 or 2530, something like that (I'm not sure which) and wishes to upgrade them, is it as simple as removing the old ones and installing newer (model) ones, or do the drivers/??? have to be upgraded, too? And I am also wondering about the physical size aspect of the question; I don't suppose that all COBs are the exact same size. Even if a larger one would physically fit into the space, it'd seem counterproductive to go with one that was larger than the opening (because there's no reason to light the inside of the LED housing :rolleyes: )

Therefore: Which COB(s) can be installed in place of the "25" series of Cree cobs, and what, exactly, does this thing involve?

DISCLAIMER: I don't use COB's! :)

I believe you're referring to the Cree CXA2530:

XLamp CXA2530 LED Arrays | Cree Components

I know replacing the COB's typically involves removing some solder (& possibly some glue) to get the old bulb out (it doesn't "unscrew"!) and re-wiring & soldering the new bulb.

What bulbs are you looking to upgrade to?

I would think you'd only need to replace the drivers if there was a significant increase in the amperage of the lights. This should be calculated first, if you're unsure, but since the manufacturers typically don't run their components to 100%, a small increase should be do-able without having to upgrade drivers.

What bulbs are you looking to upgrade to?

Something that will fit ;) . Also something that'll produce more light for the same amount of electricity (and, I suppose, with the same voltage/etc. input), because I'm only thinking about replacing the COBs. Also, something cheap.

It wouldn't be a Winter project, and if it is expensive, it won't be done at all. So I'm not going to be too upset if it can't be done (or if I can't figure out what the specific upgrade would/should be).

Not sure I know enough to help but maybe just enough to be dangerous? :rofl:

From what I've read recently, the light that seems to be preferred for growing is the Cree CXB3590. I've seen some comments that they have the most lumens per watt but are more expensive and some people building their own lights find it better to just include more of the cheaper 3rd party lights.

There's a decent tool for figuring out which drivers will run which Cree lights at:

https://mservices.cree.com/app/DriverCompatibilityTool/CompatibleDriversList.aspx

Also, @TimberGrowLights can probably provide good advice on this!

From what I've read recently, the light that seems to be preferred for growing is the Cree CXB3590. I've seen some comments that they have the most lumens per watt but are more expensive and some people building their own lights find it better to just include more of the cheaper 3rd party lights.

When I originally had this thought, I thought about that one. But for some reason I have the impression that it's a different size (too big).

Seems like I read that Citizen had some good COB products. IIRC, when I read that one of them was mentioned as an alternative to one of the Cree products. 18something or other, IDK. It's probably the wrong size, too.

I guess I'll need to go dig the device out in the next week or two so I can check to see exactly what model of COB it has and, I suppose, the driverpowersupplybinidon'tknow stuff too.

I am getting a hand me down Mars300 for Christmas. It has been used much less than my bad connections, broken ground prong, and burnt diodes mars300 that I am currently using. Looking at doing a Mars300 to COB conversion on the dead horse I have been repeatedly beating..

I know absolutely crap about electricity and COBs. I do a lot of research because I would like to have another hobby but every time I think I figured out everything i need to know, turns out i am wrong. I will drop by here intermittently to check the progress of your fact finding mission.

Looking at doing a Mars300 to COB conversion on the dead horse I have been repeatedly beating.

This might be helpful:
Mars II upgrade with COB's
And @fanleaf mentioned that he was doing an upgrade in this thread:
Could I put COBs in these LED fixtures?
...and that it was discussed in one of his threads.

Also, if you head to YouTube and type in something like
Code:
Mars 300 upgrade
(might have to try a few combinations), you may find a video or two.

Good idea, upgrading/modifying an old, out-of-warranty product instead of adding to the landfill burden.

You can swap them for new ones, you just have to get 36V COBs, but it's really nice to know the type of driver and the A and V outout anayway.

However, the operation is likely gonna be more tricky than building new lights from scratch.

The Cree CXB3590 COB has been obsolete for a year and a half, get the latest generation Vero or Citizen.
The Luminus CXM22 gen3 is 52V, so probably not compatible with the driver, but one of the best COBs though and quite cheap.

Obsolete, in this case, meaning there are better alternatives now. Lamborghinis are nice, but a Chevette with the heater core bypassed would be a mighty fine upgrade to these K-Mart boots, yeah? ;) .

Obselete might even work out to "Sure wish we could sell these things for list price, but they've been sitting on the shelf for two years."

Eh, probably not, but one would hope. You might be right about the hassle of upgrading, though. I found my soldering iron, but it's a 125W/250W model (and around the same age as me). No sign of the little pencil-type one, desoldering bulb, etc. Oh well, this might end up being a pipe dream. I have (at least) the Winter to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom