Anyone know what may have caused this?

Morda Grown

I check my plants 3 to 4 times a day, today on my first walk I found this...
holeinstem.jpg

Being and outdoor grow I check my plants a lot, I have not seen any bugs except a few leaf hoppers. We do have a lot of tent caterpillars this year as well though I have not seen any on this plant. This hole goes all the way through the stalk and into the hollow of the main stem. Is something nesting in the stem?

Hi morda grown.
The likelihood of something being in there is quite high, if I was a betting man I'd say yes.
That is what I'm afraid of, it is my only Bubba Kush this year too. I hate to kill it off to find out what it may be. I don't want to just ignore it either because It could invade other plants I have in the same area. :confused:

if youre not in flower i would definitely go for imidacloprid systemic action.

This is really creepy man.
What is that? I am kinda new at this. If it is a corn bore, I'm lost as to what to do next.

Imidacloprid is an systemic insecticide.

Some commercial growers use it, because the "systemic action" means its absorbed by the roots, and spreads via xilem to stems, leaves and if youre in flowering, flowers.

But study about your problem first, may have different options. Try to spot that damn creepy larvae.

You can likely dig it out they get in and dont go much farther. Then tape up your incision..

I wood make a length wise slit in the stem until you find the critter and kill it. The plant will repair itsuef but if you leave it in there the insect will eat all the zylem and kill the plant above the hole.

Imidacloprid is an systemic insecticide.

Some commercial growers use it, because the "systemic action" means its absorbed by the roots, and spreads via xilem to stems, leaves and if youre in flowering, flowers.

But study about your problem first, may have different options. Try to spot that damn creepy larvae.
Understood, It is not in flower so that is a good. Wonder if I should top the plant and cut the loss. If I top it and it is living in the top that will end the issue. Yes I will look into corn borer's and see if there is a more organic solution. Thanks for the input!

You can likely dig it out they get in and dont go much farther. Then tape up your incision..

I wood make a length wise slit in the stem until you find the critter and kill it. The plant will repair itsuef but if you leave it in there the insect will eat all the zylem and kill the plant above the hole.
I don't see any loss in trying, Time for some plant surgery.

surgery is organic... thats what the docs told me before they started in on my head.
They did not tell me that before my triple by pass but yeah that is true.

They did not tell me that before my triple by pass but yeah that is true.
Thats cause they were too excited to get cutting. Those surgeons are crazy like that. See em with a scalpal in their hands and they all giddy like a kid in a candy store.

Just wondering, could you "clean" that surgery wound with neem oil? Its organic and has anti feeding, larvicide, and insecticide action. Guess it could be a try.
I add need cake to my soil. I dont know about treating it I think you get the bugger out and close the wound should be ok.

Its the larval stage - tehy dont lay eggs until adult. They emerge and turn into a moth I think and then fly and lay eggs. Might even over winter in the dead stalk and emerge in the spring. Why I burn my out door plants and leaves after harvest. That and destroy the evidence. lol

The moth lays eggs in the early spring then the the larvae go to work. Frankly I feel the cutting it out is how going to go at this. Need cake to the soil may work for the future I will have to look for some.

We are in Upstate New York so its early for the borers but I've seen the moths.. and the corn up her is already growing.

There's always going to be some crop damage/loss so I always plant extra. And dont keep them all in the same place either.

Back
Top Bottom